Thread: East Fork Eklutna Sheep

Default East Fork Eklutna Sheep

Just checking to see if anyone has heard any stories coming out of the east fork area for sheep. I will be hunting the area starting on the 5th of September and I am wondering about sheep numbers in the area.

Default East Fork Sheep

Here is a link for a thread started earlier on this subject.http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=17473

Default East Fork Hunts

For some strange reason there seems to be more discussion this year about these DS 127-129 hunts than any other 14C hunt. I'm not trying to discourage anyone but this area has been stingy with rams for the past several years with only 2 total sheep having been taken from 2004-2006. I hope you take a great big ram up there but you'll have to work for it. Please post a report when you're back from the hunt as it is a beautiful area.

Alpine

i agree with alpine. sheep numbers are way down in eklutna from what i have personally seen. not just rams, but ewes and lambs as well. seems to have been badly managed and over harvested from what i have seen.

within the last week a client took a ram with r and r and one other ram has come out of there as well.

hope that helps.

If you want to see sheep anywhere in 14...go scope the face of Pioneer Peak from anywhere in the Butte. It seems that when the bullets start flying, that is one of the spots that the sheep go to. Almost impossible to hunt even if you are a lucky draw winner.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

i was up there with a buddy who drew a tag and we only saw a couple sheep, several goats, black bear and a wolverine. it was a great hunt, we covered a lot of area up high, but no rams. the sheep really have dropped off up there. it use to be a great hunt. good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by kobuk View Post
    it was a great hunt, we covered a lot of area up high, but no rams. the sheep really have dropped off up there.
    kobuk is correct. the damage is already done.