Thread: Homer Boat Rental?

Default Homer Boat Rental?

Alright, here's the situation. I have some family in town visiting, and they really would like to catch some halibut. Our commercial fishing boat based in Whittier is out of the water for some serious work, and pulling my brother's 20 foot semi-v riverboat down to Homer has turned into too much of a hassle given the various schedules I'm trying to work around. Additionally, $1000+ for the 5 or 6 of us to take a charter is just too much. So, I was wondering if there was a boat rental service in Homer like they have in Whittier. I had considered just renting one in Whittier, but the run to where the fish are would kill us on gas prices - may as well just take a charter. I know I can get into small halibut within 15-30 minutes of the Spit, so I thought I'd throw this out there. Anyone have any ideas?

-Brian

Default boat rental

Go to Seward to lowell point. You can rent a boat and go a short distance out into some chicken halibut, Chef

Chef - Do you have the contact info for this outfit? Any idea on prices? Also, I've never fished out of Seward...any pointers on where the chickens would be if I gave it a shot? Is it pretty much a sure thing that we'll get into the halibut, or is it hit-or-miss? (Yes, I know it's fishing - there are no guarantees - but Homer is pretty much a lock that you'll get into fish.)

Thanks!

-Brian

The outfit renting boats in Seward is Millers landing, I know they have a website if you can find it...I have not tried them myself.

Well, I thought I'd bump this message to the top and try one more time. Friday is our last shot, so maybe someone will give me a pointer in the right direction. Miller's Landing just doesn't look like what we want - can't take the boat out very far at all, and I understand the fishing inside the Bay that far is spotty at best. So, any boat rentals in Homer? Any private boat owner that would rent his boat to a experienced commercial fisherman? I know it's a longshot, but... Thanks!

-Brian

Default 1/2 day charter

Just a thought if you can't find a boat. I think??? Rainbow Charters in Homer has 1/2 day charters for less than $100. Might save you some money and get you some fish.

Yeah, I looked at them, but it looks like they have 15 or so fishermen on a single boat. I know that we'd get a few fish, but I don't know that it's the kind of experience we're gunning for. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

-Brian

Try calling Heritage RV park. there is a big ? bayliner type in their parking area with a for rent banner on it. 226-4500

Default Ft Rich boats.

If you have access to the military bases here in Anc Ft rich will rent a 22ft boat for $125 a day and they usally run a deal on the weekends, i know you'll still have to pull it but it might be a cheaper option.
    There's plenty of room for all Gods creatures; right next to the mashed potatoes!

Unfortunately, I'm not military - nor are the people who I'd be taking. I do appreciate the advice, though.

-Brian

Heritage RV Pk is on Homer Spit

Well, thanks for the tips, everyone. The cabin cruiser on the Spit sounds nice, but is likely more than we're budgeting for - and times about up. No worries, though, as we're going to float the upper Kenai instead for nothing but the cost of fuel. The halibut will have to wait for another day!

-Brian