Thread: PWS Deer

Thumbs up PWS Deer

Hey Guys,
    A few weeks ago I asked anyone for some info on any good deer spots out of Whittier to take my son this weekend. I didnt get much response, so I will humbly ask again. I'll even narrow it down. Between the four spotts of Knight, Green, Peak, and Perry Island, which one would be the best bet for a buck? I know alot of hunters have a hard time giving up their favorite spots but trust me when I say I've always had a way of doing my part when it comes to conservation. Somehow the ducks and deer always know when I'm coming. Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated. Heck, if it works out I'm open to drag somebody along next time I go out. I have my own boat. Pitch in for gas and we'll give it a shot. Just let me know. I'm trying to narrow it down so we're not running all over the place in the sound. Thanks guy's.

Hunt High and bring good optics! Good luck
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

If you're serious about dragging someone along, I'd be up for it!

As to the four you mentioned, I would avoid Perry. Being the closest island to Whittier, it tends to get a lot of pressure. Green Island has a lot of deer, but is very thick with vegatation and there is almost nothing for visibility. It can be good late in the season, but isn't very good early on. I'm not too familiar with Peak Island...perhaps someone else can chime in here? As for Knight, there is plenty of area that is good for spotting if you climb up high. I'm not sure if the deer are spread evenly throughout the island, but I know that there have already been some successful hunters there this year.

Good luck, and let me know if you're up for a tag-along.

Default Elenor Is

Knight is the best of the Islands you named for having open country. But don't over look Elenor Is. It's a little closer run too.

when it gets a bit colder a lot of deer move from port nelly jaun to the main bay eshamy area that has much more south facing slopes, I've been told the pass between them sees a ton of traffic as well.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Naked is good

by boat. My buddy gets deer every year no matter what time of year by boat there. I have only been there two times. Once in my boat and once in my buddies boat. Never shot anything. But can only suggest to stay in your boat and watch the beaches. Too many hunters but still a lot of deer. When I was there and went hiking with my dad and the other two guys split up from us. There was bullets wizzing by and you could here them hitting dirt, trees or even deer I guess. We never saw any buddy but being in dark clothes is not a smart idea for that island. We got down from up high and never hit land again there. Except if they went to pick up deer. If you can wait till october then it is any deer, and a lot more people out too. Never heard of Peak, and heard good things about Knight. I have hunted there a few times and seen sign but always seen bears.