Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back to school

Default Back to school

Less time for fishing =( I bet brian is disappointed aswell

Quote Originally Posted by Fishwhacker View Post
    bet brian is disappointed as well
    You're darn right I am! You have to go back tomorrow, but I've been back since last Thursday. I've had to miss the last 2 days of the archery moose season, the first day of the regular moose season, and the chance at doing a big sheep hunt (though that's not due entirely to teaching.)

I don't imagine that I'll get much sympathy from the rest of the folks here, but the end of summer is always a little sad. But hey, I caught lots of fish this summer while my friends were at work. 60 hour weeks for 9 months is a great trade-off for spending June and July on the rivers and in the mountains!

I hear y'all.....

Not lookin' forward to anymore school but ahh well....I can still hunt/fish on the weekends

Brian, where do you teach?

Jon

Jon - I was at East prior to this year, but I just transferred to Chugiak High. You??

Default School Daze...

"I don't imagine that I'll get much sympathy from the rest of the folks here, but the end of summer is always a little sad."

You have mine, and I know right where you are coming from. I hated coming home from AK to my responsibilities as a FL educator.

Hated it.
    Hated it.

By the end of this June, it's over forever. By then that's 37 years, and that's enough. I'm stepping down and dropping out. Time to get another life...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    You're darn right I am! You have to go back tomorrow, but I've been back since last Thursday. I've had to miss the last 2 days of the archery moose season, the first day of the regular moose season, and the chance at doing a big sheep hunt (though that's not due entirely to teaching.)

I don't imagine that I'll get much sympathy from the rest of the folks here, but the end of summer is always a little sad. But hey, I caught lots of fish this summer while my friends were at work. 60 hour weeks for 9 months is a great trade-off for spending June and July on the rivers and in the mountains!
    And next year we go back even earlier! It sure will be tough to chase sheep. I will be saving my personal days, for sure. On a positive note, we get out during prime black bear hunting time. I will be out in the Sound as soon as my classroom is buttoned up.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Brian,

I'm suffering through my Senior year at Bartlett. Just gotta love these new school times.....hehe....

Looking forward to just having to work, not go to school AND work

Jon

Thumbs up Good to know

Thanks guys for molding the kidís brains of mush into a good thing. It is good to see outdoorsman/woman who also teaches and (I hope) is not spewing Environmentalist Waco Terrorist agenda.

Thanks again for your service to our kids!!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

I had a student absent during my last class, and one of the girls told me that she would be gone for a week. I asked why, and was told that she was hunting. I lit up and started asking questions, but the girl told me that the location was secret. I finally drug out of her that the absent girl was sheep hunting with her dad. "Cool - I'm jealous!" The kids just laughed, but I was quite serious. I'm glad she has a dad that will take her along, and I can't wait to hear the stories. I think I've already got a new favorite student.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    And next year we go back even earlier! It sure will be tough to chase sheep. I will be saving my personal days, for sure. On a positive note, we get out during prime black bear hunting time. I will be out in the Sound as soon as my classroom is buttoned up.
    Yeah, next year is just downright discouraging. August 14th? Man...I almost shed a tear when I saw that. I'll still try to chase sheep, but it sure does make it difficult. I'll take advantage of getting out early for spring bear, but I would trade that in a heartbeat for another week of sheep hunting.

Default Complain on!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post

Brian, I've been back on the job since inservice on the 14th! I have managed to squeeze in a little silver fishing and beating the brush for moose in the evening though.

Alas, education marches on. Earlier and earlier every year it seems

So which braintrust entity has come up with moving it back to the 14th? It really seems like the school admins are actively anti hunting by pulling the kids into school during the hunting season.

I plan to pull my kids out for at leas a few days to chase some deer in the sound this fall.

I don't know who the person who keeps moving the date back is...not a real nice thing to do though.

We need a schoolboard full of sheep and moose hunters....

Jon

Default A sad indication of change

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    So which braintrust entity has come up with moving it back to the 14th? It really seems like the school admins are actively anti hunting by pulling the kids into school during the hunting season.

I plan to pull my kids out for at leas a few days to chase some deer in the sound this fall.
    In the 60s, when I attended Government Hill School and Central Junior High, school started after Labor Day. It was expected that a good portion of the student body would have gone hunting and fishing with the family in the last days of August. That was the Alaska way. Many kids were still out even after school started. Alaskans during that period called fall "Septober" because it was truly the best time of the year for hunting and fishing.

The attitude was different then because many people had moved up here or stayed up here just for the outdoors activities. This was before the pipeline which drew people more interested in $$$$$$$.

Today there are still kids that go hunting and fishing with their families, but they are in the minority. Fewer families move up here for the outdoors than those who move up here for other opportunities.

When I am stuck in school in the fleeting days of August and my students tell me that they will be out hunting, I always manage to cajole a piece of meat out of them such as the tongue.

didnt know the date was being moved back.... again? thats bs... how about letting us enjoy the real summer and hunting /fishing and not may when its still gloomy, the runs are sucky, and theres still snow to be found

It's only two days earlier next year (14th vs. this year's 16th). It's not a policy change, it's just the way the calendar works out.

As a fisherman I hate going back in mid-August, but as an educator, I'm glad we do. Breaking for the Christmas holiday for two weeks, then coming back to one more week of the fall semester and then finals is just stupid. Ask your kids.

What I'd actually like to see, is the post-labor day start and just finish the fall semester at Christmas break. So what if one semester is longer than the other?

Oh well, I guess that's what personal days are for, fall fishing, for now at least.

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter3 View Post
    Brian,

I'm suffering through my Senior year at Bartlett. Just gotta love these new school times.....hehe....

Looking forward to just having to work, not go to school AND work

Jon
    I'm feelin' your pain bro. I'm currently trying to survive my senior year at West Valley here in Fairbanks. Do you do any sports or anything? I'm at bartlett twice a year for swimming and in anchorage a few times each winter for xc skiing.

-Eric

Sorry, supposed to be lab man.

Default Back

We started back as staff on the 15th. Kids came the 21st.

But I have 5 personal days and 86 sick days to use for hunting. Oop's....I mean 86 sick days for illnesses. Like buck fever, moose fever, goat fever and such.....

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter3 View Post
    I don't know who the person who keeps moving the date back is...not a real nice thing to do though.

We need a schoolboard full of sheep and moose hunters....

Jon
    When they approved next year's calendar last winter with very little public notice, I e-mailed the entire school board and the superintendant about my concerns that they were doing a great disservice to the culture, traditions, and needs of many Alaskan families. Only the superintendant and one board member wrote back, and both said that I was the very first person to raise this issue. When they consider the calendar again this next year, I will be raising it much more loudly.

Brian,

Thanks for doing that. I'm firmly convinced the school board doesn't have a clue, about anything. Well, they are great at moaning and crying about how much money they need, but I never hear a peep about what they want to do to improve education.

Rant mode off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast