Thread: Question about Seward launch and silvers

Default Question about Seward launch and silvers

Will silvers be in Resurrection Bay Labor Day weekend? I want to take the boat out one last time and have never had it out of Seward. Is there any good fishing around Thumb Cove? Am I too late to hit silvers? Do I have a reasonable shot at halibut using herring or do I need to venture futher than Thumb Cove?

One last question (if I haven't asked enough yet!) where and how is the Seward launch? Also, can I leave my boat in overnight or do I have to pull it out and re-launch each day?

Thanks for any insight (didn't mean to ask too many questions),

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    Will silvers be in Resurrection Bay Labor Day weekend?

You betcha!

Normally you can get good results into early sept.

I want to take the boat out one last time and have never had it out of Seward. Is there any good fishing around Thumb Cove?
    By Labor Day you can pretty much fish silvers from the Harbor all the way out to the end of the bay (closer to the head of the bay should be better though). Thumb Cove should be decent, but I'd recommend trying the beach from town out to Lowell Pt. either trolling or mooching.

Am I too late to hit silvers?
    Not at all. I grew up in Seward and we always laughed that the best silver fishing in town was the 2 weeks AFTER the derby.

Do I have a reasonable shot at halibut using herring or do I need to venture futher than Thumb Cove?
    Well, that may be open to your interpretation of "reasonable shot". There may be a few Halibut in Thumb, usually in the deep water off the northern side, near the mouth of the cove. But generally the farther you get from town, the better the results. Not sure what type of boat you have or your comfort level, but if you want to shoot me a PM I can try and help out in that regard.

One last question (if I haven't asked enough yet!) where and how is the Seward launch?
    Actually there are two launches, one in the "main" area of the harbor (west side) next to the Kenai Fjords Nat'l Park office. This one is usually a little more crowded, and the traffic/congestion is a bit annoying. There is a second, newer launch on the backside (east) of the harbor. I prefer this one. Less traffic, easier parking, etc. Both launches are well maintained, paved, and have LOTS of room, generally speaking.

Also, can I leave my boat in overnight or do I have to pull it out and re-launch each day?
    If I were you I'd call the Harbormasters office before you head down. Not sure how they are handling transient berthing these days. But I'd wager if you called ahead and checked you'd likely be given a spot to park in the harbor. That said there are good anchorages in both Thumb and Humpy Coves, not sure what your itinerary is down there but the option of "getting outta town" is there (also a number of forest/state park cabins for rent in the bay and adjoining area's).

Hope that helped.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Default Excellent...

Hippie, your the man with the Seward connection! I'm lookin to take out the wife and kids for a little silver action, almost sounds like the boat is just going to kill my gas mileage! I'm not looking to venture out beyond Thumb Cove with the wife and kids as the little ones only last 3-4 hours on the water-plus we have a fairly small boat (16' Hewescraft Sea Runner). Otherwise, I may pm you next year when I'm ready to head a little further out for halibut and lookin for camp spots out of town.

I think I know where the launch is on the east side of town, last time I was there I think it was gravel, unless I'm thinkin' of the wrong place. I contemplated launching out of Lowell Point, but its $35 to camp and $25 to launch, EACH DAY! Ouch.

Thanks for the help,
    Tim

The east side launch is as follows:

Take Seward Highway into town (duh).

About 1/4 mile past Carrs turn LEFT on Port Ave.

Stay on this past the cannery, you'll be looking for a right turn before the coal loading conveyor (I THINK it's Dock St.). Should be signs pointing out the launch. The parking area IS gravel, launch is paved.

Millers is a bit spendy for sure.

If you want to avoid the beach for camping, backtrack towards the Military Resort, go past Sea Lion Rd and turn LEFT on Hemlock, campground will be immediately on your left. It's more wooded, secluded, the bathrooms have running water and there is a playground for the kids. Black bears are known to frequent the area, word of caution.

The boat will get you away from the crowds. However if the water is too choppy for the family, drive out Lowell Pt Rd and look for a pull off anywhere along there. Good area for Bobber/Herring for the kids, or spinners and snag hooks. I was down there monday, took my 7 yr old nephew, he had a blast...A LOT of pinks in there but if you're patient the Silvers are already hitting along there as well.

Have fun.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."