Thread: best new arrows

Default best new arrows

I'm thinking of changing to new arrows this year. I'm looking at Easton HIT or Carbon Express Maxima W/F. Any opinions? I shoot a Mathews compound.

I just bought the Easton Full Metal Jacket and loved them. I shot GT all the time and loved them to, but the penetration on the FMJ is unreal. I average 4' deeper into the target compared to the GT. I gave up speed with them but I picked up KE.

I still shoot the GT out of one of my bows.

Carbon Express Maxima I have friends that like them..
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Thumbs up arrows

I just started shooting the maximas and they shoot great. My buddy and I bought the same ones and where shooting baseball size groups at 50 yards with montec broadheads and they are shooting the exact same place with field points. Plain and simple i love em and I am very impressed.

Default 2nd for Carbon Express

I have used the Terminiator Hunter Selects and the plain T H's. Both have been excellent and I have had 5 Robin Hoods with the selects. I really like the CE series of arrows. But they have quit making my arrow and gone to the weight center forward technology now.

I also bought some Magnus SS Snuffers 125 grain the other day. With the lighter TH (500 grains total weight) they are the most accurate broadhead combo I have shot to date. Better than my Slick Tricks.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Ya know, I have been trying to get on the carbon band wagon since the old PC days and I've shot some that are pretty awesome but I keep going back to aluminum. Even though I shoot compound I shoot more non-vented two blades than anything else.

I know, most would tell you that they won't shoot well but I get them shooting right with field tips at 50 and 60 yards. I haven't gotten that with carbons yet, I can with some out of a doz. but not all and the more with the higher quality. I would have to buy several doz. carbons to get a full dozen to hunt with where I buy a doz. aluminum and more often than not, I get the whole doz. to do that.

I'm still hoping for the day I can get out of carbons what I get out of aluminums for accuracy and when it does I'll buy many doz. to stock up. The spine consistency out of aluminum and the accuracy I get just hasn't been beat yet, hope it does but for now I'll stick with 2317's.

BM I agree with you. With Carbons out of a dozen I might get 2-3 that will not fly correct.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Spin testing

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    BM I agree with you. With Carbons out of a dozen I might get 2-3 that will not fly correct.
    You might want to try to spin testing them with field points. Yes, field points. I was having a simular problem and when I spin tested them, 50% of the arrows failed because of the inserts being glued in incorrectly. (Bought off Ebay).

The ones that passed, fly very well.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Thumbs up ACC

I have used Easton ACC for about 5 years very happy with them in my Mattews
    Alaska

The biggest issue I have with carbons is that I have a long draw, 30.5"-31" depending on the bow, so my shafts are longer. By cutting shorter you are infact straightening and if they are out more on one end or the other you can just cut from that end and reduce any straightness issues. Also you reduce spine inconsistency with them being shorter but I can't go as short as others, so the effects of inconsistency are worse for us monkey arm guy's.

I'm not going to mention brand names but I've had to buy five dozen of one brand just to get a dozen that I would hunt with. I also like big effecient broadheads and they are not that compatable with inconsistent shafts. I can get the same large heads to shoot like field points on aluminum shafts, so it's not an issue of the heads but the shaft.

My shafts are heavy (625) but I don't see a decrease in performance at the ranges I'm willing to shoot at animals from the reduced speed, I don't shoot animals past 40 anymore. Infact when I shoot a moose the performance is better than when I shot lighter arrows. Just looks like guy's off the Outdoor channel shooting whitetals, just zips right through and there's a big hole.

I can change 100 grains in weight and I know i'm getting around 20fps faster but it doesn't even show in trajectory out to 40, now 60-80 yeah but I'm not shooting that far anymore at critters. So I guess its all in perspective.

I'd say by far the best carbons I have shot to date are the Carbon Tech Rhino's but I get three dozen aluminums for the price of one dozen carbon and they last just as long. I shot two black bear with the same 2317 this spring and it's still shooting like new and is still in the quiver for another animal. I don't have a problem with bending shafts just those dang tundra gremlins that steal shafts no matter how bright you fletch them and it's a three for one deal with aluminums costing me less and giving the best for broadhead accuracy, so that's why I'm still an aluminum guy.
    Last edited by Bowshop Monkey; 08-22-2007 at 14:26. Reason: spelling