Thread: Caribou meat donation

Default Caribou meat donation

I know that just by posting this I'm opening myself up to criticism but want to ask a question anyway.

My brother-in-law and I are headed up to your great state Aug. 31st - Sep. 8th. Flying into Prudhoe Bay and going caribou hunting with Deltana Outfitters. My question is simple - we are both buying two caribou tags and are prepared to pay to bring all of the meat home if we are so lucky.

However, it is expensive and another option would be to donate some of the meat to someone local to the area. I tried to contact the people to donate to the armed services personnel but they don't have any facilities available in Prudhoe Bay. Is there anyone local to the area that would be interested in some caribou meat? We take good care of the meat so it will be in good shape.

One last thing, we ARE fine with bringing all of it back if we get lucky enough to connect on all four tags. However, if someone would like to have some of the meat we are willing to share.

Anyone that is interested, shoot me a pm and we can talk logistics.

When you ask for anyone "local", are you referring to Prudhoe Bay/Deadhorse? If so, nobody really lives in Deadhorse - it is more of an industrial town with mostly itinerant workers. From Prudhoe you could easily ship your meat to Fairbanks or Anchorage, where someone might be able to pass it along to the military meat donation program. Just a thought.

-Brian

How about you shoot only what you can eat and bring home? Just a thought.

You are spending all this money on a guided hunt which is probably as close to a sure thing as you can get in hunting for wild game if you have a good outfitter, why not spend the extra money and give the game you hunt the respect of taking its life to sustain yourself, instead of just a nifty decoration for your wall?

To answer your question, you will have to ship your meat to anchorage or fairbanks before you can donate it to charity, your best bet is probably northern air cargo for your meat shipping needs. Sometimes if you are donating to the food bank you can get Alaska Airlines to ship meat for free or something like that.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

The Food Bank of Alaska in Anchorage has a program, and I'll try to find the number, where NAC will ship the meat to Anchorage free and the food bank will get it processed when you donate it to them.
    Monkey, he said they were willing to take all the meat home and is responsible enough to do that, he wants to share and is planning ahead of time. Its a whole lot better then those idiots that leave it on the ramp or the nearest dumpster after the hunt, or even leave it out there on the tundra.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S. View Post
    Monkey, he said they were willing to take all the meat home and is responsible enough to do that, he wants to share and is planning ahead of time. Its a whole lot better then those idiots that leave it on the ramp or the nearest dumpster after the hunt, or even leave it out there on the tundra.
    Well said, Bill. While I absolutely abhor meat waste, I appreciate those hunters who plan well ahead of time what to do with their meat.

I agree with Bill and Brian. Good for you for planning ahead.

There's plenty of people who want and need the meat if you can get it to them. Check out this link: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/....php?f=37&a=69

Default Kudos for Planning Ahead

Buglem,

Kudos to you for asking, and don't worry too much about aberrant responses - there's always someone that will have issue with anything that gets said on here, if it's not done how they would do it; don't let that stop you from getting good input from people willing to help.

Good thoughts have been posted already; you may also want to check with Ralph and the Deltana guys, they may have some suggestions as well.

Good luck, and good hunting!

Michael

Default Meat

Based on the recent success of Haul Road hunters, I would venture to guess that just about any of them would gladly accept your meat donation to help fill their freezer.
    Mike

There are instructions at the bottom of Page 18 of the 2007-2008 Alaska Hunting Regulations booklet. The number listed for further information on donating unprocessed game is 907 272-3663.

It states Food Bank of Alaska will pay for processing. With prior notification some air carriers will fly the meat to Anchorage for free, to check with the carriers where ever your hunt is. Hope this helps and good luck.

Default Thanks!

Hey guys - just wanted to say thanks. I got a couple of pms and really like Bill's suggestion about the Food Bank donation. Even if it costs to ship it I like that it is going to a good cause.

Thanks again. I'll post pictures when we get back.

Buglem

I do have Ralph's Sat phone number if you would like to give him a call up at Happy Valley.
    EricL