Thread: Night Sights??

Default Night Sights??

Anyone have a brand preferance with night sights? and why? I am looking for a set to put on my sig P-229. As far as I can tell, most offer warranty, some require a gunsmith install to qualify for warranty. Any comment's good and bad appreciated.
    Thanks

I have Trijicon (sp?...about $100) on both my duty gun and one of my personal weapons. I have done quite a bit of low light shooting during training and it takes some practice for sure. They aren't particularly bright until your eyes have had a chance to adjust to the darkness, then they glow like an animals eyes at night.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Not to steal the thread - but - I have trijicons on one pistol but haven't tried them in a low light situation. I have heard the muzzle flash fries your eyes enough so they don't help on a quick folowup shot. Like I said, I've heard it but haven't tried it, AKMud - experience counts, what say you?
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Default Low light shooting

Mike,

You are right about that. Your night vision is blown for a minute or two after a good couple muzzle blasts. Night sights are necessary for my line of work because of doing extensive building searches, tracking, and general night time work in low light.

For the person just looking to have a low light gun for home defense, I would recommend a laser sight system over night sights. I recently bought a 1911 with crimson trace grips and I REALLY like it for close quarters stuff in the dark. Plus there is something quite intimidating about that little red light .
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I've really liked my PT night sights, they have different color inserts so you can get contrasting colors on front & rear. here's the link.
    http://www.ptnightsights.com/

Smile night sights

I have them on a couple of pistols I like a flat bar on the rear sight and do not care for the 2 dots on the rear sight. I really don't see a need for them other then on the front sight. I prefer a flash light. My reasoning is us civillians are liable for every round that leaves the muzzle. We must identify the target before we can shoot it. If it is so dark I can't see the front sight with out a night sight a flash light is in my hand. Fast and accurate shooting with a pistol in low light conditions is an "eye opener".

Trijon day and night.

I would skip the bulk of accessory mounts like lasers and flashlights. That is my personal preference though and after the first muzzle flash it all goes to hell anyways. My flashlight or laser probably wont help me either at that point. But then I am not really planning on heavy night combat either.
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    Mike,

You are right about that. Your night vision is blown for a minute or two after a good couple muzzle blasts....
    That's a good point.

....For the person just looking to have a low light gun for home defense, I would recommend a laser sight system over night sights. I recently bought a 1911 with crimson trace grips and I REALLY like it for close quarters stuff in the dark. Plus there is something quite intimidating about that little red light .
    Or both?

I like this laser:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    Mike,

You are right about that. Your night vision is blown for a minute or two after a good couple muzzle blasts. Night sights are necessary for my line of work because of doing extensive building searches, tracking, and general night time work in low light.

For the person just looking to have a low light gun for home defense, I would recommend a laser sight system over night sights. I recently bought a 1911 with crimson trace grips and I REALLY like it for close quarters stuff in the dark. Plus there is something quite intimidating about that little red light .
    Have you seen or tried the new green laser sights? The 'marketing' says they are easier to see ...I wonder what they are like in real situations though, whether any different than red lasers or not.

Brian

Default Green Lasers

They are much more visible day or night. No contest between the two, just make sure you read the output before buying.

I have Mepros on my Glock. They seem to be a little brighter than Trijicons and as a result will have a longer useful lifetime.
    Now what ?

Post lights are better

Contrary to a couple comments on here, I would choose a flashlight or flashlight/laser combo over night sights any day. As stated, night sights are only good for folks working in the dark after your eyes have adjusted to the low light. So they would be fine for a guy sitting in a foxhole on guard duty. Once the shooting starts, the effectiveness of night sights goes out the window. In a personal defense situation, you never want to be shooting blind.

If you have a flashlight, you don't really need night sights as you can easily silhouette your dark front sight over the illuminated target. Even if the shooting starts, the flashlight will continue to be effective as you are not relying on your night vision. I prefer a weapon mounted light (I use an M6 on my G22) and there is now a wide variety of holsters that will accomodate the light pre-mounted to the gun. The light now acts as a sighting device as the circle of light is always in the same reference to the sights (night shooting practice at the range is required).

The one caution is that you still need to have a separate flashlight, especially if you are talking about a home defense gun. You do not want to check on that noise downstairs using a weapon light as a search tool. You'll be covering everything with the muzzle as you search and if you find the noise was caused by the dog or one of your kids, you are covering a loved one with a loaded gun. A nice little SureFire light is good for searching and can also double as a shooting light. Carry it in your support hand with the handgun at the ready in your shooting hand pointing safely to the floor with your finger on the weaponlight power switch.

Lasers are nice, but without proper illumination of the target you have the same problems as night sights. The light/laser combos are a very nice way to combine illumination, laser aiming, and you still have your iron sights available. I haven't yet used the green ones, but have heard good things about the daylight visibility.

Last point on lasers is this so-called intimidation factor. Hollywood started that whole "bad guy sees the laser dot on themselves and gives up" thing. I think it is a bunch of hog wash. If you are really in a face-to-face with a violent criminal that is looking to do you harm, do you honestly think they are going to be looking down at their chest to check for red dots? No, like anyone else they are pumped up on adrenaline (and possibly other less-natural substances) with the whole tunnel vision fight-or-flight response that any of us would experience in a life-or-death conflict. They won't see the little red dot and probably wouldn't comprehend what it is fast enough anyway. A tactical flashlight blast to the face will have much more effect than the laser dot.

All this said, my vote for night sights goes to the TRUGLO Tritium Fiber Optic series. You have a fiber optic style dot that gathers available light that is internally illuminated by a tritium element. While you can lose a tritium only dot when you are using a flashlight, these TFO sights actually gather stray light from your flashlight and become brighter. Then in complete darkness with your night vision intact, the tritium element takes over like a traditional night sight. These sights are the best of both worlds, in my opinion, and they run about $100 like most other night sights.

The Meprolights are too bright. I like trijicon. You can go with an all black rear, which will draw you attention to the front. or go illuminated front and rear.

for serious night work to i.d. your target you should have a light such as the surefire x200b or newer x300 on your rail.

another option is a crimson trace laser. you then do not even need the sights, just watch the laser. about $200.