Thread: Halibut or Shark meat?

Talking Halibut or Shark meat?

Alright folks, when I was in Valdez this weekend silver fishing, I was treated to a surprise. A fella there gave me a big chunk of freshly caught salmon shark and he said to go cook it up like 'but and eat it. Since I've never had it, I was a bit anxious, yet intrigued to say the least. So I cut it in half, seasoned it up "just a little" and cooked in on the bbq like halibut. Well, holy ****, was I surprised. It was AWESOME! So I get home and last night from Valdez and cook it up again on the bbq next to some moose 'strap and finish it off with a fresh garden salad and a cold adult beverage. (I had to make sure that the first tasting wasn't a fluke). It wasn't. It was even better. I'm sold, convinced, changed, or whatever you want to call it. The wife and I agree 100% that what we are eating is better than halibut. Anyone agree to this or ???

I've only tried it once, but I agree that it was fantastic meat. I've heard horror stories, but am mostly convinced that the shark was not quickly and properly cleaned in those cases. I recall it having a pretty similar texture to ahi tuna.

On a side note, if your wife is planning on having children within the next few years she should limit her consumption of salmon shark. There was a thread recently on the dangers of fish with high mercury content, and salmon shark is one of these.

Thumbs up

We're good on the kids department, so no drama there. But definately thanks for the heads up on the mercury. I'll be "googling" that some more for more info.

My charter captain last weekend suggested not eating it more than once per week because of the mercury content. Haven't tried any of the meat yet, maybe this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by swampdonkey View Post
    We're good on the kids department, so no drama there. But definately thanks for the heads up on the mercury. I'll be "googling" that some more for more info.

It tastes very good, which makes it hard to limit your intake. 2 years ago I submitted a piece of a shark I caught to the state lab which tested it as part of their mercury study. 1.2 parts per million total mercury (it's methyl mercury that gets you, roughly 80% of total). He said that was pretty typical for AK salmon shark.

Your body will get rid of mercury but not very fast. Enjoy the shark meat but spread out your consumption of it.

Shark meat is wonderful stuff, yes better than halibut!

A friend gave me a chunk from the shark his friend caught this weekend. Definately excellent meat, very similar to swoardfish. Too bad about the mercury, as I could definately eat alot of it.

Dunno about it being better than halibut, I'm a big fan of halibut and find it about the most versatile of fish meats.