Thread: Heading to the Haul -- Any Bears?

Default Heading to the Haul -- Any Bears?

I'm heading up the Haul Rd. next Wednesday and was curious if anyone returning has seen many brown bears. I am rifle hunting, so will have to go outside the 5-mile corridor, but would like to tag one of the brown moose munchers given the opportunity. I am going specifically for bou, but would love to hear about what folks have seen bear wise.

I know the walk can be tough, but would enjoy hearing any other general pointers folks would want to give. This will be my first trip up for Bou. I know to bring tires, gas, water, and all gear/provisions I will want/need for the week. I am planning to head up till I see animals then plan where to walk in. Ideally, I would like to walk in and camp west of G. lake, but understand the animals may not know thats the plan.

Anyway, any help or thoughts are welcome and thanks.

Will
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

We came back last Wednesday (I believe). Just north of the pass there was a nice grizz out on the grass. He was about half mile from the road so not quite far enough for gun.
    EricL

Default griz sighting

Not new news, but last year we spotted a beautiful blond on the river across from Oil Spill Hill on the east side. I think a good bet is on the rivers, in the willows, where all the 'bou are trotting through. I know they like the hills for cover as well as the tall vegetation (willows) on the river for cover. Brown bear scat all over that spot last year. Good luck with your hunting.

I was up there with a hunting partner from Aug 6th to the 14th. We didn't see any bears and only heard of one spotted. We camped about 50 miles south of Deadhorse.

Question Db987/990/997

At this risk of sounding like an idiot... isn't the vast majority of the road a drawing for brownies, within 5 miles or not?
    IE: GMU 26B

Just trying to see if I missed something.

Default Its open outside the Corridor

Although I would prefer folks think its closed, my regs shows that 26B is open to residents, 1 bear every regulatory year, OUTSIDE THE CORRIDOR. If within the highway management corridor--i.e. the 5miles either side of the road, its a draw permit.

If I am reading this wrong, someone please chime in. Lord knows that last thing I want is an issue to arise after the fact. I will confirm this before heading up anyway, but thats my reading.

Will
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

Thumbs up Outside Corridor

Yep, I concur with that assessment. If you are a resident, and outside the 5 mile corridor... you get one bear every year from 1 Sep - 31 May

Good luck!

Default just my thughts

you are correct, will be doing the same the 2nd week of Sept, caribou hunting and if a grizzly happens to be in the same area outsie the corridor.
    Hope the weather cools off soon though, how bad are the bugs right now?

Default Pray for Cold.........

Or cooler at least. My freinds that got back complained of the bugs, but have heard from others that they are not near as bad in years past. So basically, I have no idea. I'm bringing a headnet and plenty bug dope in the case they are bad.

Be nice to get a good cold snap to get the bou moving and the bugs-a-dying. But with our luck, that cold snap would include snow and gail force winds and last the entirety of our hunt.

I deal with the bugs, just hope things align for bou and bear. C'mon a boy can dream.

Will

If you can find a spot to walk out that is slightly elevated from the surrounding terrain you have a better shot at not having to slog through wet stuff. Being up high is not a gurantee, but I've found it has a lot less of the foot deep wet stuff. Near Galbraith there are plenty of spots that you can use the terrain to your advantage for better walking.

Will, take the head net, bug dope etc. BUT have tried a Thermacell yet? I got those two at the Sportsman convention this spring and they really work.

Default Thermacell--yes!

I picked one up at Trustworthy and it worked great on those nightly floats on the Kenai for Kings. I will bring it for around campt--but wasn't sure how they would work while on the move. If the bugs are thick, I'll try darn near anything.

Will

Thumbs up ThermaCell - Thumbs High

I must admit I was a bit skeptical.
    I bought one in 2004... played with it a bit, but never messed around enough to 'confirm' it's effectiveness.
    This year, on the Haul road, I was convinced.
    The bugs were thick. The wind was non-existant.
    We setup the camp, eaten alive.
    We were thinking of 'relaxing' but the bugs were hideous, it was hot, and again, no wind.
    Broke out the ThermaCell. Five minutes later - no more bugs. 15 feet from our leantoo... bugs.
    Sold. Great for sitting around camp -- next year, I'll try it in the tree stand over bear bait...
    Cheers!

Default Cool--

I will have to stop at sportsmans on the way up and pick up a few more pads and fuel cartrigages. Since I am "loading for bear," I wonder if they have any bacon or blood scented thermacell pads.

Will