Thread: Only "for the Birds"

Default Only "for the Birds"

Is anyone out there interested talk about other than bird dogs? I have a Staghound pup and I am temped to run coyotes with him next year. Time will tell if he is interested. Anyway, I thought I would throw that out in the mix if anyone else is doing it or thinking about it.

Nope. Got me on that one.
    Hang in there though. This forum is just getting going.
    This would be the right forum. Just more folks need to know about it.

Default hunting dogs are cool

regardless of type of dog, or what they chase, trained hunting dogs are the bomb! I know nothing about Staghounds, but now with this forum and people like yourself I am about to learn something new. I am a died in the wool lab lover, but I look forward to hearing about your opportunities, trials, and tribulations. Sure hope we get a wide variety here.

Default Staghound

Staghounds are intentional mixes of other sighthounds. Primary mix is Irish wolfhound and greyhound (deerhounds and many eastern sighthound of which I canít spell are also used). Though Staghounds are not recognized by AKC, primarily because the mixing of breeds is continually reintroduced, they have been around for hundreds of years. They are all bred as hunting dogs. My dogís line has been bred for 27 years by the same hunter as coyote hounds. His line is on average 100lbs and 30 inches at the shoulder for males. They are close to the greyhound in speed and have close to the size, stamina and power of the wolfhound. At five months my Staghound is 50lbs and 23 inches at the shoulder, hind quarters are actually 24 inches. He can out run my five year old Doberman. He can outmaneuver my 2 year of Min Pin. They are pretty fascinating dogs. I want to get him into rabbits this year, just to see how he reacts. The breeder tells me that he has zero rabbits on his farm (in Iowa) due to his hounds. I have never hunted any dogs other than Labs and Brittanies. I figure a pelt is the way to start

Default One more thing

I am very happy to see the forum get off the ground. I look foward to picking brains as mine is the kiddy pool on this (and many other) subjects.

Default Coyotes

Ok, did some looking in the reg. You can't hunt fur animals (coyotes) with a dog. I am used to coyotes being varmits, not FUR ANIMALS. I guess I have to stay with hares with the dog. Oh well, working the dog is what is fun.

Never heard of the breed,but Id be interested in checking that out as Im a die hard coyote caller from way back.
    Bestfriend back home runs Airdales after coyotes.Have you thought about running your dog onto Black bears? Daniel

Default Bears

I have thought about it. I know of those that do, but I don't know enough to really form an opinion. Maybe after a few season of hares, or more likely, "oh no, he's on a bear!"

Default No coyotes in my near future

Ok, I confirmed with ADF&G that I can't run coyotes, but I can hares. If anyone else is interested we can write a proposal to ADF&G for next year.