Thread: 700fi Grizzly vs 660 Grizzly and water crossings

Default 700fi Grizzly vs 660 Grizzly and water crossings

Went out to Kink Glacier yesterday with a couple of friends. It was my first real action on my new Grizzly 700fi w/EPS. One of my friends brought out his 2005 Grizzly 660. I wanted to compare our bikes because I sold my 2003 Grizzly a few months ago to buy a Rhino 660. I knew what the Grizz 660 could do and how bad it is for fuel economy, so I wanted to gage if the Grizzly 700fi was an improvement or not. The only real difference with our two bikes is his has stock tires and I have 26" ITP Mudlites on ITP SS106 12" Wheels. Other than that, we are Stock. His bike had about 750 miles at the start of the day and mine had 142. Placing our bikes side by side you get a real look at the new A-arms on the 700. Lots more usable clearance on the 700. Same clearance height but the 700 is much wider than the 660 between the wheels. The next real difference was when we crossed deep water. The 700's air intakes are moved forward and higher on the bike than the 660. This proved valuable several times during the day. When I crossed deep sections I would pull the front up out of the water and wheelie across till I hit the other side. This got my rear wet several times but no water entered the bike. The 660 was not as lucky. By the time it was deep enough to wheelie, it was sucking in water. We poured about 8-10 cups of water out of his bike after one crossing and none from mine. So, in this arena, the new 700fi is truly improved. The two bikes seems dead even on most other issues. The one thing I did notice was the 660 seems a little faster than the 700 on open smooth flats. Not much but maybe just a little. That may have been due the the tire/wheel difference. In the woods the opposite was true. The power steering allowed me to pull several hundred yards ahead on any rough terrain. The last comparison was in fuel mileage. We did not take any extra gas so this was an important issue later in the day. The only real weakness on my old 2003 Grizzly 660 was poor fuel mileage. My wife's Polaris 500 Sportman always gets great mileage. I would be on empty and she would have more than a 1/4 tank left. So, yesterday we watched our fuel gages pretty closely. About two miles from the glacier my buddy's 660 dropped to 3/4 of a tank. Shortly after mine dropped to 3/4 as well. We played around in front of the glacier a bit and then headed from the river side of the valley to the opposite (North) side toward Metal Creek. When we got over to where the old A-frame cabin burned down the 660 hit 1/2 a tank. I was still on 3/4. We started heading back. About half way back the 660 was showing empty but the fuel gage was not flashing. I was at 1/2 a tank. We got back to the trucks and the 660 fuel gage was flashing but my buddy never got into the reserve fuel. I was still showing 1/2 a tank (realistically near 1/4 ). So, it appears the 700fi is improved over the 660 for fuel economy but only slightly. We are going to record how much fuel it takes to refill both bikes and that will be a better indicator. Once back at the trucks and knowing I would not need fuel, I let my buddy jump on the 700fi and take her for a spin. Needless to say, after experiencing the joys of "Power Steering", my friend is now looking at getting a new 700fi. I am very impressed with the 700fi and love the power steering. If fuel mileage ever becomes a real issue, I will just take the Rhino. With an 8 gallon fuel tank I can ride all day. I have two awesome machines...I just wish I could ride them both at the same time.

Did you guys make it across the wide braided portion of Metal Creek all the way to the actual glacier, or just as far as the Metal Creek bank and mountain trail?

Quote Originally Posted by sr12345 View Post
    Did you guys make it across the wide braided portion of Metal Creek all the way to the actual glacier, or just as far as the Metal Creek bank and mountain trail?
    We made it about half way across. Got to a deep/fast section and could not make it any farther. That was in the middle of the valley. If we had more fuel and started across Metal Creek near the mountain trail I think we could have possible made it to the glacier. I might try that this weekend. Depends on weather during the week. As it gets cooler it will be easier to make it to the glacier.

Good writeup AKMuddy. I'm a Grizzly fan also.
    Sounds like my 05 660 gets better gas milage than your buddies for some reason. Even though mine has an HMF pipe, Uni filter and Dynojet Kit ( bigger main jet- eats more gas). 5 more Horse Power. I get 75-80 miles on a tank.
    I also have an EPI clutch kit on mine, a Setxatv full snorkle system, all vent lines run up the handle bars and every electrical connection dielectric greased. I've only seen one guy that can do all the water crossings, fast moving rivers, beaver ponds etc that my 660 Grizz can. That would be Water_Gremlin on his snorkled BF750 When you are floating in DEEP water it all becomes balance and not letting the machine rollover side to side. Crossing fast moving rivers while floating is a whole nother ball game
    That power steering must be nice and I plan on getting the 700 as soon as they fix a couple things on them. As far as you beating a 660 thru rough terrain on the 700, well that was all on the other driver. If you started out behind me the only thing you would be saying back there trying to keep up is "that guy is frikken nuts"
    The two main complaints on the 700 EFI right now are that it will die some times at idle and at low speeds, proper throttle control can minimize this dieing out. The second problem and the main one that is bugging a lot of owners is the MISSING at speeds from 30-45 MPH. It's not too noticeable on trails but most owners report it on pavement and dirtroads. It's VERY noticeable to 700 owners that run aftermarket pipes, even the Yamaha aftermarket pipe. Right now a lot of 700 owners are trying to get Yamaha to address this midrange miss problem. That said all 700 owners sure do like their machines over the 660.

I've made at least 10 runs to the glacier and it's usually 55 miles round trip. I use 3.5 gallons or half a tank on my 700. 16 mpg on 26 XTRs. My 27 XTRs go on today. We'll see if the mileage changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Superx View Post
    I've made at least 10 runs to the glacier and it's usually 55 miles round trip. I use 3.5 gallons or half a tank on my 700. 16 mpg on 26 XTRs. My 27 XTRs go on today. We'll see if the mileage changes.
    Sounds about right. Trip meter read 53 miles, which included several miles of playing around in front of the glacier. I used 3.17 gallons of fuel. That means I had just over 2 gallons of fuel left in my 5.3 gallon tank. Doing the math...I got around 16.69mpg. Let me know what you see with 27's on. I would like to know how it effects the bike all around. Thanks!

AKMuddy

Hmm. Interesting about the 660 griz and water. I have water wheelied my 02 660 lots of time and never sucked in any water. Are you talking the airbox or the tranny? If it's the tranny then you are getting water in your rear tranny vent. Or the check the intake hose and the little drain at the bottom. I rerouted my rear tranny vent to the front under the hood right next to the tranny intake and have never had a problem with the tranny getting wet. My air intake is stock.

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Hmm. Interesting about the 660 griz and water. I have water wheelied my 02 660 lots of time and never sucked in any water. Are you talking the airbox or the tranny? If it's the tranny then you are getting water in your rear tranny vent. Or the check the intake hose and the little drain at the bottom. I rerouted my rear tranny vent to the front under the hood right next to the tranny intake and have never had a problem with the tranny getting wet. My air intake is stock.

Great pics. He took water in the air box and tranny. When I opened his air box, water poured out like I had just opened a fresh wellhead. The intakes on the new 700fi are more forward and higher than the 660. Even if I didn't "wheelie" the creek, I don't think I would have taken in water. To give an idea of how deep we were...The friend that was riding my wife's Polaris 500 Sportsman had chest waders on. When the 660 stalled, he walked across the creek to help us pull the quad out of the water. He is about 5'10" tall. Water was up to the bottom of his rib cage. By the way, the Polaris made it without taking any water. I checked the air box today and all was dry.

PS. I still think Polaris makes a "pig" of an ATV. Way too heavy for what you get. You "ride" a Polaris and "Drive" a Yamaha....But that is what the wife wanted....You know how it is. If she is not happy, then you are not happy.

[IMG]http://homepage.mac.com/perryschneider/.Pictures/pics/grizWater.jpg
    [/IMG]

Nice pics...Looks like fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvertipgrizz View Post
    Nice pics...Looks like fun.
    Ya, reminds of someone else I know!

You should have seen what happened next... oh wait.... you did
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

I live on the Knik River and run up to JC most days and weekends. I can hop on my Grizz and be at JC in under 15 minutes. I'll watch thousands of river crossing at JC and Fall Creek a year. On good days I'll see 15-20 drowned atvs. I'm not happy to report that far and away Yamahas suck water worse than any other make. Although all the belt driven atvs with intake and exhaust vents under the plastic do the same. Probably more Yamahas crossing is why I see more drowned. Once you take water in the belt and it stops moving forward, water is going into that airbox under the seat next. Yamaha has improved things on the 700 over the 660 but it only is better to a certain point. Thousands of people are snorkling their 700s also. I watched a 700 drown his rig in Fall creek two weekends ago in a hole over 5' deep. I helped him get it running again. A lot of throttle and keeping the front end up works in most water. Water wheelies work but you lose the ability to steer after a distance. Plunging into unseen holes will sometimes wash water up almost to handlebar grips. Triangle and Setxatv haven't sold thousands of snorkle kits to Yamaha owners because they are bad drivers in the water. Thousands more haven't snorkled their Yamahas with parts from the home depot plumbing section because they have nothing better to do. Stock tires will get you thru 90% of what's out there, same with the stock snorkling on your atv. You're not gettting that last 10%, without modifications, from any atv maker out there.

Quote Originally Posted by dws View Post
    Stock tires will get you thru 90% of what's out there, same with the stock snorkling on your atv. You're not gettting that last 10%, without modifications, from any atv maker out there.
    I would agree. That is why I plan on a snorkel kit for the Rhino. I will leave the Grizzly 700 alone for now. It is just too pretty to cut into right now. Maybe next year after the "new" wares off.

Quote Originally Posted by AKMuddy View Post
    I would agree. That is why I plan on a snorkel kit for the Rhino. I will leave the Grizzly 700 alone for now. It is just too pretty to cut into right now. Maybe next year after the "new" wares off.
    Right now I plan on getting the 2009 model 700 in Sept of next year. Unless they make something bigger which I doubt will happen for 3 or 4 years I'm putting the 686 BBK and mudbuster cam in the 660 as soon as hunting season is over. I'll never sell the 660, I got a 2004 Kodiak as a spare and I'll sell that one

My Grizzly 660 and 700 are both pretty much stock. I have friends riding my 660 quite often and I have compared the fuel after a full days riding when I fill them up. I see no difference in the fuel consumption between the two at all. They will be within 1-2 tenths of a gallon at the pump.

I can't say enough good about the ride and the power steering on the 700. When you side hill for a long distance the 700 doesn't tire you out like a regular quad can do with the spongy tires. In fact I find myself riding with one hand a lot of times on fairly rough and rutted trails.

I have never had mine miss at any speed but it has died several times when it sits and idles for a couple of minutes. That 700 is killer fast for sure. It will go nearly 70 mph according to the Yamaha speedometer but I think that may be a little on the fast side according to my GPS.

Quote Originally Posted by dws View Post
    Right now I plan on getting the 2009 model 700 in Sept of next year. Unless they make something bigger which I doubt will happen for 3 or 4 years I'm putting the 686 BBK and mudbuster cam in the 660 as soon as hunting season is over. I'll never sell the 660, I got a 2004 Kodiak as a spare and I'll sell that one
    My friend silvertipgriz (posts here and at atvfrontier.com) did the 686 BBK and cam to his. Plus a BUNCH of other stuff. His griz is maxxed to the max. He'd be a good guy to talk to about it if you have any questions.

My friend silvertipgriz (posts here and at atvfrontier.com) did the 686 BBK and cam to his. Plus a BUNCH of other stuff. His griz is maxxed to the max. He'd be a good guy to talk to about it if you have any questions.
    Yes I'm aware of silvertipgrizs machine. He came down to knik a couple years ago to ride with people from arctictrails I believe, but I missed him. I heard about his mods though

There's alwasy the Hauck 800 kit and you could top that off with a shot of spray.

Quote Originally Posted by Contender View Post

I have never had mine miss at any speed but it has died several times when it sits and idles for a couple of minutes. That 700 is killer fast for sure. It will go nearly 70 mph according to the Yamaha speedometer but I think that may be a little on the fast side according to my GPS.
    Yes the 700s have that dieing problem at idle and a little above. You'll figure out by throttle control how to keep it from happening at slow speeds.
    You've also got the midrange miss It's minor and most 700 owners need the right conditions to notice it. Ride on pavement for a mile and look for it in 30-45 mph range. If you put on any aftermarket pipe it's REALLY noticable. There are a lot of 700 owners in the process of trying to get yamaha to address this problem. It's mostly guys that want to use Yamahas aftermarket pipe on the 700.
    If you are staying stock it's nothing for you to worry about. In your case, don't look, you won't find it and it will never bother you