Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: inexpensive fish shipping

Default inexpensive fish shipping

Anyone know what the least expensive fish shipping outfit is in the Kenai, Soldotna, Sterling, Homer area?

2nd day air fed ex or ups, or overnight usps. Aint none of it cheap. Expect to pay dang near what the fish would cost in the lower 48 by the time you are done.

INEXPENSIVE and FISH SHIPPING have no place in the same sentence.

Even the guys who work for FedEx with their 75% discount cringe at what it costs to ship a box of fish south.

Best bet is to bring home no more than what the airlines will allow without a surcharge... else be prepared to pay the price!
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone."
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

With respect sir, you are wrong about FedEX. A very close family member works for FedEx and I know for a fact that they don't get a 75% discount to ship anything anywhere.
    Some friends of ours from the lower 48 were here last year for an extended vacation and had to ship some fish home. They shopped around and found Thompson's Log Gift Shop in Soldotna was the "least expensive" to ship. They ship FedEx, check them out for current pricing.

I would recommend you have the fish frozen up here and just pay to have an extra piece of check in luggage on your flight home. Just keep the weight below 50 pounds if possible but absolutely do not go higher than 70.
    If the cooler is packed the fish will arrive frozen

Cool fish shipping

on checked baggage for most airlines, if you go over yourc heck in baggage limit, the airlines will let you add extra items, including frozen fish, keep the boxes at or under 50#, they will charge you $50. for each piece of luggage. My brother comes here each year, pays the $50. for each box over his baggage limit, works out to $1. per pound, can't beat that

Cool fish shipping

on checked baggage for most airlines, if you go over yourc heck in baggage limit, the airlines will let you add extra items, including frozen fish, keep the boxes at or under 50#, they will charge you $50. for each piece of luggage. My brother comes here each year, pays the $50. for each box over his baggage limit, works out to $1. per pound, can't beat that

Default not 50.00$ anymore

its 75.00$ on alaska airlines this year' for going over your baggage limit.
    as long as your 50# or less..

I live here and wanted to ship some of my already plentiful salmon stock to some folks down south. I don't even have any reds or silvers yet, and my freezer is half-full. I'll also stuff it with some more halibut in a few weeks. I'll check out that Log Gifts place though...thanks.

Supporting Member

Default Maybe. . .

Ripface: Call Alaska Airlines and ask about Blue Label shipping. . .

Default shipping fish

I have shipped fish by going to the airline cargo dock in years past.
    This works best if you can find an airline that has a major hub close to the destination. Its been 6 years since I last did this so the pricing has probably changed, but at that time United would ship 100# from Anchorage to Denver for $44. We always had the fish frozen solid in the old waxed fish box and never lost any fish, these boxes level full of fillets are just under 100#. Fish will be kept in their freezer until shipped, generally goes out the same night. Don't bother calling the airlines because you will be told the alot of regulations and restrictions, go in person and check this out.
    Hope this still works and would like to know what you find out.

Default FedEx Discount

Sorry Akcomidogs, you are mistaken. FedEx employees do in fact get a 75% discount. It's called the "Interline Discount" and it applies to employees, spouses, dependants and parents. The discount applies to all services including Express, Ground and Kinko's. In remote delivery areas there can be an extra delivery charge which is not discounted.

Default Airlines Work Well

Just spent last week on the Deshka and wanted to bring some fillets back to Maine. Bought a cheapo cooler at Walmart along with duct tape. Filled the cooler with frozen fillets, taped it shut, labeled it like my luggage and brought it back to Maine as one of my checked bags. They asked the usual questions like is there dry ice or regular ice? Then away it went back with me to Maine. Total traveling time from Anchorage to Bangor 15 hours and 30 minutes then I had to drive another four hours to camp. When I opened the cooler almost 20 hours later just the top two fillets were partially thawed the rest were still frozen solid.
    Total cost $19.95 for a cooler and about $3 for the duct tape. I was able to fit three Kings in the cooler. About 30 lbs or fillets.
    If you take the woods out of the woodsman you have nothing left but a man in the woods.

Sorry Wyatt, but the "close family member" is my spouse, who works for FedEx Freight. They get a 50% discount, not 75%, but you are right about the extra charge for out-of-the-way places. Maybe the other branches of the co. get a higher % discount, but not Freight.

Default FedEx

Interesting: My girlfriend works for FedEx Express and she gets the 75% discount no matter how she ships. She works in Vancouver, B.C., so maybe discounts are different depending on where you work. Either way, I've found cheaper ways to ship since FedEx usually has outrageous prices. Hope you all have a nice Fourth of July!

I just sent some fish back to Michigan. It was next day air from Anchorage to Traverscity, through the USPS. I checked with the Fedex and UPS and they were way over priced. The regular Post office was the cheapest. Now granted this was from Anchorage so it was alittle easier to get it next day air, But I also have to send some to a place that does not accept next day air. (like I would suppose Keni would not either.) If the Fish was packed right and in the right cooler there should be no problem. So my suggestion would be to mail through the Post Office, Or call me up I am sure I could find a home for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Maineguide
    Just spent last week on the Deshka and wanted to bring some fillets back to Maine. Bought a cheapo cooler at Walmart along with duct tape. .
    What size cooler meets airline regs?
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

Used to be that a 100 qt Coleman full of fish was no problem.

Now with the 50# limit, you can only fill it 1/3 full since the cooler already weighs about 16 pounds alone.

Can't even use that cooler now with the lineal dimension restrictions down to under 70 inches on most of the airlines (that's L + H + W).... it just doesn't pay to use a cooler. The waxed boxes are the way to go if you are shipping them frozen.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone."
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default fedex discount..

I dont even work for FedEx and I get 75% off any type of shipping anywhere they go. Been getting a reciprocal interline benefit with them for around 17 years. The ONLY way to send fish down south for me!

Default Cooler Size

ysr_racer, I am not sure of the dimensions the airlines allow but I went to Walmart to look at the boxes they had and the smaller size was to small and the bigger size was too big. So I looked at the coolers along the wall and I believe it was between $15-20 bucks (no more then twenty).
    It didn't say the quart size (like I said cheapo cooler) but it was a perfect match for the fillets I had. The outside dimensions were 18 1/2 inches long, 10 1/2 inches wide and 13 1/2 inches deep. I put the fillets in it and froze them solid, they filled it right up to the top and they stayed frozen the whole twenty hours back to Maine (that was with a layover in 90 degree Las Vegas for 30 minutes and a three hour layover in 80 degree Philly.
    The cooler also had a nice handle so you could carry it like a suitcase but it was just barely able to hold the weight. It felt like it would crack (the handle) if it was abused to much.
    If you take the woods out of the woodsman you have nothing left but a man in the woods.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast