Thread: fish mount

Default fish mount

just got home from an unreal trip to AK.. sux being home and back to reality.

i was interested in getting a fiberglass replica done for a silver i got... i would do it at my local taxidermist but as we dont get salmon back home, not sure how good of a job they would do here.... so was hoping to get a good mount done from someone in AK... any recommendations? was hoping to get it done for less than $20/inch.

Mark Oslund would get my money and trophy. He can be reached at: 907-344-6805. He will be more than $20/ inch, but you get what you pay for! Check out his web page: http://rltaxidermy.com/contact.htm
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Another one to look at is ReelTrout.com. This feller actually carves your fish. I did a lot of looking before I settled with him and I asked him to carve one a little out of the norm, and he is still working on it.

Its worth a look any way.

Default Wow

I have never had a fish mounted. Now that I have seen the prices, I do believe I will never get a fish replica done. I am sure the work is awesome, but that is a lot of money to me for a fish. A brown bear is a different story.

Is there anyplace I can just buy a fiberglass replica?
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

I bet if you went to your local taxidermist you could buy a blank from them. Any enterprising taxidermist should be willing to order the blank and make a little money on it.
    Otherwise check out some of the stuff available online. I'm sure some of the smaller guys will be willing to sell directly to you

http://www.vandykestaxidermy.com/subcategory/89/

http://www.taxidermy.net/suppliers/fiberglass.php

Default 2nd recommendation for Mark Oslund

He is really good. Never seen anyone that can paint fish like he can. It would help him greatly if you provide length and girth measurements and some close up pictures of the fish. That way he can produce a mount that looks like YOUR fish, not just some generic silver.

Knight's Taxidermy here in Anchorage does them, he might also sell a replica outright, he has some on the wall. 907 344-5501

Ditto on the reccomendation for Mark. Awesome taxidermist. I know he has a huge selection of molds available and they are much better than the "mail order" blanks that most taxidermists get from the big supply houses. Most of them have dips and flaws. Mark is on the expensive side but actually cheaper than most National Champions, which he won in 2000.

Default Great recommendations

I agree with both (either) Mark Osland (Real Life Taxidermy Phone: 907-344-6805) or Eric Knowlton (Reel Trout Studios http://www.reeltrout.com/). Quality work goes for around $25 per inch, so for a 30" silver you would be only $150 over budget...

Eric at ReelTrout.com gets my business. really awesone fish carvings

i see Mark Oslund's website is down. anyone been in contact with him recently?

Although I'm still waiting for a fish. I'm a big fan of reeltrout.com as someone else mentioned. Eric does a nice bang up job, and if'n ya don't like it, he'll keep doing it untill ya do. I'm sure not many if any at all need to be re done.

Whats nicve about his are they are hand carved to any form ya want, not a pre molded fish.

Good luck,

Mark's website was really bad. You had to download flashplayer and it was a pain, he is not the most technologically inclined person (and that is putting it nicely!) but I know he would be more than happy to talk to anyone or show his work anytime. Give him a call, I know he is around.

Third for Mark Osland @ Reel Life Taxidermy. He is simply the best...

yep i called him and am sending in my pics and measurements. thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
    Is there anyplace I can just buy a fiberglass replica?
    Check out the Bass Pro shop in your area. Mine has some nice inexpensive replicas. Size might be an issue for you but worht a look.