Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shipping Jetboil Canisters by Air

Default Shipping Jetboil Canisters by Air

Hi folks,

Someone recently sent a PM to me concerning shipping Jetboil canisters by commercial air to the Bush in Alaska. I thought the information should be posted here, as I know there are several folks in these forums that use that stove.

It is my understanding that the Jetboil canisters are currently forbidden from air transport on either passenger or cargo aircraft, because they do not carry the appropriate DOT (Department of Transportation) markings on the canister. It is my understanding that there are some after-market brands of canisters that will work in the stove, that may be shipped because they do carry the DOT markings.

Does anyone have an update on this, or different information?

It should also be noted that any hazardous materials (such as flammable gas or other stove fuels) will incur a HAZMAT shipping charge in addition to the freight rate. Currently the standard fee on Alaska Airlines, Northern Air Cargo, etc. is $50, whether you're shipping one match or a whole pallet of propane gas. As I said, you should also expect to pay the regular freight weight (usually charged per pound) in addition to the HAZMAT fee.

In some cases it's probably best to simply have your air charter purchase the items for you in the village, if they're available. In the case of Jetboil canisters, they are probably not available in the Bush, as they are still a relatively new item not commonly used out there. You're more likely to find propane, and especially white gas (usually called "Blazo" in most of Alaska). If you ask your charter operator to pick these things up for you, I'd expect to pay them for this service. If they don't ask you to pay, it would be good to at least offer, or to perhaps give them a tip for the extra service.

Hope it helps!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Problem solved!!

Ok, through extensive research I have found the work around for this problem.... the jet boil brand canisters are not transportable via air....

HOWEVER, the identical canister made by snowpeak and primus ARE flyable..... and they fit the jetboil burner

the snowpeak canister is relatively the same size as the jetboil and contains the same mix of propane and isobutane... but the canister meets DOT haz-mat standards...

The performance standards are similar in amount of water boiled per can however the snowpeak takes a little longer to boil.... no biggie.

REI carries the snowpeak... and they are cheaper than the jet boil cans....

Default Thanks, Greg!

Quote Originally Posted by AkGreg View Post
    Ok, through extensive research I have found the work around for this problem.... the jet boil brand canisters are not transportable via air....

HOWEVER, the identical canister made by snowpeak and primus ARE flyable..... and they fit the jetboil burner

the snowpeak canister is relatively the same size as the jetboil and contains the same mix of propane and isobutane... but the canister meets DOT haz-mat standards...

The performance standards are similar in amount of water boiled per can however the snowpeak takes a little longer to boil.... no biggie.

REI carries the snowpeak... and they are cheaper than the jet boil cans....
    Thanks, Greg! I had heard that there were other canisters that would work, but I didn't know the brand names. Thanks for providing the info. I would think that JetBoil is aware of this issue and would eventually come out with something that meets DOT requirements. Time will tell.

I think a larger issue here is just making folks aware that a lot of the stuff we ship by air, either on passenger aircraft, cargo aircraft, or bush aircraft, falls under certain restrictions pertaining to the transport of HAZMAT by air. A related point is folks who try to sneak some of this stuff in their baggage or cargo shipments, without declaring it or paying the related HAZMAT fees. To those folks I would strongly suggest not doing that! Many freight shipments are x-rayed after acceptance, and ALL baggage is screened. If you try to sneak something through, you could end up in some serious trouble. It's not worth it!

Hope it helps!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

Default How

do you go about taking those fuel canisters on the flight with you? Are there fees associated with it, I read something about a $50.00 fee for some HAZ MAT items

Default HAZMAT Fees

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter02 View Post
    do you go about taking those fuel canisters on the flight with you? Are there fees associated with it, I read something about a $50.00 fee for some HAZ MAT items
    You will not be allowed to ship most hazardous materials in your checked luggage. You must ship them as cargo, and when you do, you will be asked to fill out a shipper's declaration of dangerous goods (a form which indicates that you have packaged the items per DOT requirements, among other things), and you will be asked to pay a HAZMAT fee. Currently the fee is pretty much standard with most Alaska carriers- $50. It's a flat fee that has nothing to do with the shipping costs. Those costs are additional, and are usually based on the weight of the commodities being shipped.

Some hazardous materials do not require a shipper's declaration, and there is no HAZMAT fee associated with shipping them. If I am not mistaken, ORM-D items fall in this category, as does Carbon Dioxide, Solid (dry ice) in small quantities. There are a lot of rules and restrictions with this stuff. Your best source is the carrier shipping it.

-Mike

So what is the difference between jetboil brand cans vs the snowpeak and primus cans??

I may need to make the switch.

Default In terms of shipping-

Quote Originally Posted by 379 Peterbilt View Post
    So what is the difference between jetboil brand cans vs the snowpeak and primus cans??

I may need to make the switch.
    There may be performance differences (I don't use this stove, so I don't know), but the difference I'm talking about is the fact that the JetBoil canisters cannot be shipped by commercial air, because they do not carry the appropriate DOT labeling. The other brands apparently do, and can be shipped as cargo. I was very surprised to see JetBoil release a product without these markings- not a real good move on their part.

It appears that if you have a JetBoil stove that you will take on a flight out of a village (where you have to ship your stuff by air freight), you will have to use another brand of fuel canister. That is, until JetBoil comes up with a canister with the appropriate DOT labeling.

-Mike

Thanks for the intel.

I trust Sportmans wharehouse and others carry the snowpeak and primus fuels?

I've sent a message to the Jetboil folks -- I'll report their response if I get any.

Default JetBoil

Quote Originally Posted by eidsvolling View Post
    I've sent a message to the Jetboil folks -- I'll report their response if I get any.
    This came up last year, so I'm pretty sure they're aware of the problem. It would be good to know if they intend to do anything about it though.

Thanks!

-Mike

Default Known Shipper?

If you have to ship your canisters as Cargo, you have to be what is a KNOWN SHIPPER. We looked at that for our goat hunt to Kodiak, not that easy with Alaska Air, so once you figure the coast of shipping ($50) the hassel of becoming a KNOWN SHIPPER, background checks, its just not worth bothering with.

FYI -- Jetboil VP of Sales advises in response to my inquiry that they're working on getting DOT approval of their canister for air transport and hope to have it "soon."

Known shipper for Alaska Air isn't all that difficult. The application is on their web site. You have to send it along with a utility bill showing your name and address. Then they send you back a letter telling you to contact this company that comes and checks you live where you say you do. That ten minute visit cost me $50. What a racket. So its not difficult, a stamp and $50.

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter02 View Post
    If you have to ship your canisters as Cargo, you have to be what is a KNOWN SHIPPER. We looked at that for our goat hunt to Kodiak, not that easy with Alaska Air, so once you figure the coast of shipping ($50) the hassel of becoming a KNOWN SHIPPER, background checks, its just not worth bothering with.
    Ak Hunter,

The Known Shipper requirements only apply if your cargo is being shipped on a passenger aircraft (hence Alaska Airlines), but if you ship on Northern Air Cargo, Everts, or any of the other cargo carriers within Alaska, the Known Shipper requirements do not apply. In other words, anyone can simply ship their cargo via cargo aircraft, on a walk-up basis. The HAZMAT fee is the same for passenger and cargo operations.

You can find more details on this directly from the good folks at TSA.

Hope it helps!

-Mike

Default quick update

As reported in the thread above the snowpeak canisters can be shipped via air, either regular commerical like Ak Air or cargo like NAC..... HOWEVER....

even after confirming directly with NAC, there was one little snag.... the canisters have to be in what they (NAC) call the original packaging.... we had them secured in a cardboard box but NAC wouldn't ship them... So I went over to REI and they let me have one of the boxes they receive the canisters in.... it is the manufacturers shipping box.... it has the haz-mat labels on the outside etc... other than that it is just a regular cardboard box...

I took it back to NAC and they were happy.... shipped it out to Kotz for me... I guess the pre-printed label makes all the difference. even though the MSDS was in the box and they (NAC) put their own haz-mat labels on the box (which were identical to the manufacturers labels)

just FYI guys and gals...

Greg

Thumbs up More on shipping dangerous goods- packaging issues

Quote Originally Posted by AkGreg View Post
    As reported in the thread above the snowpeak canisters can be shipped via air, either regular commerical like Ak Air or cargo like NAC..... HOWEVER....

even after confirming directly with NAC, there was one little snag.... the canisters have to be in what they (NAC) call the original packaging.... we had them secured in a cardboard box but NAC wouldn't ship them... So I went over to REI and they let me have one of the boxes they receive the canisters in.... it is the manufacturers shipping box.... it has the haz-mat labels on the outside etc... other than that it is just a regular cardboard box...

I took it back to NAC and they were happy.... shipped it out to Kotz for me... I guess the pre-printed label makes all the difference. even though the MSDS was in the box and they (NAC) put their own haz-mat labels on the box (which were identical to the manufacturers labels)

just FYI guys and gals...

Greg
    Greg,

Thanks for the update! I have even more info for you that will solve the packaging issue.

I ship gear out for hunters as part of my hunt planning / logistics service, and recently some folks wanted me to ship some loose butane cartridges for a device called a Thermacell (it repels mosquitoes). Because the butane canisters were not in the original packaging, I was told to take them over to TGI Freight in Anchorage (907) 522-3088 to be packaged according to DOT guidelines. TGI repacked the canisters for $18 and I was on my way back to Northern Air Cargo. The hunters still had to pay the $30 hazmat fee and regular freight charges, but they had their stuff. Anyway, it is possible to have your hazmat repacked into the proper containers in some cases. Just contact TGI freight. There may be others who offer the same services too. I just posted a new thread on this in the General Discussion forum. If you know anyone else offering similar services, please post the links in that thread. This issue has a broader application than just to hunters.

Thanks again, and I hope it helps someone!

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by eidsvolling View Post
    FYI -- Jetboil VP of Sales advises in response to my inquiry that they're working on getting DOT approval of their canister for air transport and hope to have it "soon."
    Did Jetboil get the DOT approval?

No, they did not. You might call the Cargo counter at Everts Air and ask if they have a list of approved canisters. If not, they should be able to give you the correct DOT number. Otherwise, call your local sporting goods dealers and ask them.
    ARR

While I enjoy the convenience of my MSR Windpro, MSR pocket rocket, and Snow Peak Giga, there is a better way when traveling to remote locales...

MSR Whisperlite Internationale

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I just picked up my 1st canister stove (A Jetboil Zip) & so far I really like it, but my trusty 20 yr old Whisperlight International won't leaving my gear collection!
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast