Thread: Kolpin Flat aux, Fuel Tank

Thumbs up Kolpin Flat aux, Fuel Tank

Anyone use them?? Seems that it would slide around on your front/rear rack. I mean even cinched down, seems the surface is too slick.?? Anyone pros,/cons, !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaJoe View Post
    Anyone use them?? Seems that it would slide around on your front/rear rack. I mean even cinched down, seems the surface is too slick.?? Anyone pros,/cons, !!!!!!!
    Rachet Straps, nothing moves when you Rachet strap it down to the racks.
    I have two flatcans. I bought some of those foam sleeping bag mats and cut them up and duct taped a pad on each side of the gas can. I didn't want grooves worn in my gascan and also wanted to protect the top of the can when I strap stuff on top of them. Still on there after 3 years and thousands of miles.
    Also wrap plumbers white teflon tape on the threads of the cap and tighten and loosen with channel locks, never a leak

I've got one. I probably use it about half the time. Love it when I need need but think it was a waste of money when I don't need it. Go figure! That probably fits half the stuff in the garage.
    EricL

Ya know, for years I thought these were a waste of money. But lately I been giving one or two some serious thought.
    I like the new 4 gallon containers and they may just be the ticket to carry extra fuel without all that dead space surrounding the typical 5 gallon cans.
    The new 4 gal containers cost $90. Wished I could find a cheaper source.
    Tennessee

I ordered 2 from Wal Mart. $69.95 plus about 7.50 each for shipping to my house. For some reason the web site would not allow me to have these shipped free to a local store in Anchorage or Eagle River.
    I did find out the newer 4 gallon models do not have a vent hole which means a long time for the fuel to come out but it also means one less place where it can leak!
    Cheers
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    I ordered 2 from Wal Mart. $69.95 plus about 7.50 each for shipping to my house. For some reason the web site would not allow me to have these shipped free to a local store in Anchorage or Eagle River.
    I did find out the newer 4 gallon models do not have a vent hole which means a long time for the fuel to come out but it also means one less place where it can leak!
    Cheers
    Good price. I got mine from cabelas a long time ago for $80 plus shipping. I first saw them at the Yamaha dealership for $140 each so $80 each didn't sound bad I heard they have them at sportsman wharehouse for $80 also.

Man why are these things so expensive? It's all injection molded "plastic." Very little hand labor. There's probably not .25 in materials.

Quote Originally Posted by AKGUPPY View Post
    Man why are these things so expensive? It's all injection molded "plastic." Very little hand labor. There's probably not .25 in materials.
    I've wondered about that too. There's a little more to them then a $7 gas can, maybe they should go for $10-15. I quess when you can only sell thousands of an item instead of millions of them you can charge what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by dws View Post
    Also wrap plumbers white teflon tape on the threads of the cap and tighten and loosen with channel locks, never a leak
    Excellent advice! you posted this somewhere else and I did it for the first time and didn't spill a drop of gas! Didn't think it would work until I tried it.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    Excellent advice! you posted this somewhere else and I did it for the first time and didn't spill a drop of gas! Didn't think it would work until I tried it.

Tim
    Ya and it only took me thirty years to come up with this idea I was working on it though, especially every time some gas leaked on my grub in the sled and I was burping regular the rest of the day

"...burping regular the rest of the day." I hate it when that happens.

Ya and it only took me thirty years to come up with this idea I was working on it though, especially every time some gas leaked on my grub in the sled and I was burping regular the rest of the day
    Hope you aren't a smoker.

Dang, the order from Wal Mart showed up already. Sure beats riding around Anchorage trying to find the best price.
    Gotta love point and click shopping!
    Tennessee

So, do I have to carry a fire extinguisher on our next ride?