Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The DM408 Blues

Default The DM408 Blues

I have been on two scouting trips and one day trip in this area. My impression is this area is mostly private properly and incredibly tough to hunt. The access is so limited with private property and the nasty water isn't worth the effort. The RS2477 atv trail is unhuntable and the river is rough for a small boat, and maybe too shallow for a larger boat. I wonder why this area has such a low draw percentage for the reasons listed above.

What's a DM408 hunter to do? PM me

Default close

"I wonder why this area has such a low draw percentage for the reasons listed above."

I'm not much of a moose hunter, but...maybe because it is close to Palmer/Wasilla....and the people that put in for that particular hunt aren't aware of the difficulties in hunting the area as you have subsequently discovered - just the first thoughts that come to mind. As far as suggestions as to how to hunt the area - maybe try and contact someone who has successfully hunted this same area and/or query the local bio. Good luck.

Rather than looking at the area and thinking about all the reason to not hunt it, I would love to find an area with all those advantages.
    Close to town, no hunters (the moose are not scared of you), cow permit (10 cows for every bull).

I should have said almost not worth the effort. I was hoping by throwing this thread out there someone who has successfully hunted the area could offer some helpful information (mainly access), I wasn't trying to complain or find reasons not to hunt the area. If not I'll still keep heading back until I have a moose to take home.

Default 408 possibilities

You've probably already determined that the main road into this area is Clark-Wolverine. If you don't mind door-knocking, you may want to drive up there and talk to some of the landowners-esp. the bigger farms such as Larry Vanderlee and such. Perhaps you can gain some insight and/or permission to hunt their property. There is also the Lazy Mountain trail if you're into packing-it may give you enough access within reason.

Other than that, I know you can access a trail at the end of this road area near Wolverine Lake, which takes you up into the high country (Snowmachined it years ago). Most of the folks that live up that way are hunters themselves so you might be able to strike an agreement or even a hunting partner. It'd be a shame to not punch that tag for the price of a moose quarter!

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    ... I wonder why this area has such a low draw percentage for the reasons listed above.
    I've noticed an awful lot of people put in for permits in areas they know absolutely nothing about. Then, they jump on the computer and start asking where to hunt.

Winning the drawing does not mean you won a moose, does it?

Default Never win a moose, only a tag.

Quote Originally Posted by bustedknee View Post
    No, you never win a moose. Sometimes it seems that way though. I know it is the case with me. I drew a DM779 tag. It's right in my backyard and there are plenty of cows just hanging around. That doesn't mean that I won't get stumped though. I could have a series of bad luck and bad weather. Hunting is never 100% sucessful, it it was it would be called killing.

It is important that you do research before you put in for a tag. That way you know wether you can hunt it before time. That way the people that can access the land have a better chance of drawing a tag.

I've noticed an awful lot of people put in for permits in areas they know absolutely nothing about. Then, they jump on the computer and start asking where to hunt.

I assume you are shooting that comment directly at me, so I will take it from there.

I have learned a lot on forums by throwing a question out there that I think I may know the answer to but someone else post's an idea that I would have never thought of unless I asked. Who knows, by posting a question about the area maybe a kind land owner would offer his land for me to hunt. The one's who I have contacted havn't been so friendly. I know more about the area than you think but I was hoping maybe someone could pm me with helpful information that would have never come my way. I help out forum members looking for fishing locations and how to fish it, why not sit on the other side of the fence this time?

I had to put in for areas that are close to home. I am not as lucky to have the ability to take a week long moose hunt where ever I may please in September this year. This wasn't my first choice but I will take it and do my best either way.

Geeesh I hope this thread dies a quick death.

Default Easy there, big fella!

Sounds to me like he's putting a lot of effort into this area. Nothing wrong with poking around here for more info- I thought that was one of the main purposes of these forums!

It's not open season on fellow hunters yet- that comes in mid October!

Best of luck, Gremlin!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

You stated that the nasty water isn't worth the effort. Have you floated the Matanuska? This is the hunt directly on the other side (opposite the road) of the Matanuska, right? While I haven't floated it this late in the season, I've spent a lot of time on it in June and July. We have to intentionally get wet if that is the desired outcome, otherwise it is a pretty gentle float with ample room to avoid the waves. We have often floated from Chickaloon downstream about 10 miles or so, and that is what encouraged me to put my wife in for that permit (though she hasn't won it yet). That's the way I would go if you have access to a decent raft.

-Brian

Good grief I'll shoot you a P.M.

There is trail at the end of smith road and another at the lazy mountain rec area. These will take you clear over matanuska peak if you want too. For anyone looking for DM408 info.

There are a TON of moose over there, maybe I should put in for it, I know some people with land... Knock on doors man! Good luck
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Why don't you guys get off his back, help him out or don't post. If I knew more about that area I would be glad to help. Some of you need to get out and go hunting.

I had ask about hunting in 16a last night and did not even get a response from one person .It must have been a dumb question or something on my part. So at least he got a response from someone pro or con. Thanks Randy

I drew DM407 last year and had the same response with people slamming doors in my face when asked for permission to cross their lands.I even had a cow spotted near Sutton and had a lady say that it was her "pet" moose! WG,do you know aboout the trail that goes down to the Mat from lazy moutain right at the first 90 that goes along the edge of the field?You can get a 4 wheeler down to the river and you should have no problem finding cows down there.Give me a call if you still have my # tonight and I'll explain better.Good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    ...It's not open season on fellow hunters yet- that comes in mid October! ...-Mike
    I didn't open season on anyone, I simply made an observation:

A lot of people seem to willy-nilly put in for a bunch of permits. After they win a permit they are disappointed to find the area inaccessable without horses, or airplanes or whatever. Sometimes the area is private land and unhuntable to an "outsider".

I think a lot of people are familiar with drawing hunts in some of the other states. I've seen places that if you drew a permit you simply walked out into a normally closed area and selected an animal for harvest. I don't know anywhere in Alaska that this is true.

A little research before entering the drawing would prevent a big disappointment later on in the process.

If we all did this, the people that have permission, or have horses, or own an airplane would have a better chance of success.

I didn't open season on anyone, I simply made an observation:

A lot of people seem to willy-nilly put in for a bunch of permits. After they win a permit they are disappointed to find the area inaccessable without horses, or airplanes or whatever. Sometimes the area is private land and unhuntable to an "outsider".

I think a lot of people are familiar with drawing hunts in some of the other states. I've seen places that if you drew a permit you simply walked out into a normally closed area and selected an animal for harvest. I don't know anywhere in Alaska that this is true.

A little research before entering the drawing would prevent a big disappointment later on in the process.

If we all did this, the people that have permission, or have horses, or own an airplane would have a better chance of success.
    Why don't you go start your own thread about who should apply for and recieve permits and how they should go about hunting.
    WG is a young guy, a good person and was just looking for some more info to make his hunt successful.
    Go away, start your own thread. Bust your other knee somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by dws View Post
    Why don't you go start your own thread about who should apply for and recieve permits and how they should go about hunting.
    WG is a young guy, a good person and was just looking for some more info to make his hunt successful.
    Go away, start your own thread. Bust your other knee somewhere else.
    I have a little advice for you, back off on the coffee.

I am sure Water_Gremlin is a nice guy.
    And I am sure he (as well as some other hunters) will appreciate my comments, later if not now.
    The next time he does a little research then applies for a permit, gets it, then has a great hunt he will say to himself, "that old fart was right!"

I have always maintained, a day of scouting is worth a week of hunting. The scouting doesn't not have to be on foot. And it is always best if done prior to the hunt, even prior to the drawing application.

I have done exactly what WG did. Way back when, I just wish someone had told me what I just said.

It is truly frustrating looking forward to the drawing then looking forward to the hunt only to discover it was all pretty much for nought. Over the years I have gotten very selective in which hunts I apply for.

I don't have to justify my entering for this permit to you, and I still know more about the area than you think. What matters is I was lucky enough to draw one of the 50 permits giving out in this area. Basically I went about my question the wrong way but ended with the desired result. A big thanks goes out to everyone with a thoughtful response.

Let me guess, didnít draw a permit this year? Did I draw a permit for your back yard? Jealous? You are trying to use me as an example for one reason or another. You can back off now, you've made your point quite clear. If you want to use someone as an example follow the "who drew a permit" thread. There are plenty of comments along the lines of; I drew a permit for area X, I've never been there, please help. You should have plenty of material to run with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast