Thread: Unit 7 bou?

Default Unit 7 bou?

Anybody back from a Unit 7 bou hunt this year? I got the DC001 bou permit this year and am planning on leaving Saturday. Thanks,
    Steve

Would also like to hear!Im heading in last 10 days of September.

You're both a step ahead of me, I was going to post the same question. How are you guys planning on going in, hike, bike, horses, and what end of the trail are you starting from? I just came back from a sheep hunt so I don't think work would like me leaving again for a few weeks. I may try a quick trip over the Holiday weekend, but more than likely I'll hike in at the end of September. Webguy, give us a trail report when you get back, hopefully the weather will clear up for your hunt. Good luck.

I'll be heading in at the end of September/early October myself. Plan is to hike in from the Hope side and start glassing. Big bull or bust for me.

going in from Hope also.Me and my partner are hiking in and prepareing ourselves for 15 to 20 miles in.....Defininitely gotta be a trophy before I shoot.If nothing else it will be an adventure.Good luck guys,would love to here your experiences and results!

Boone & Crockett or bust. I checked on some hiking websites and the trail is pretty easy back to the cabin.

Quote Originally Posted by cwoods View Post
    going in from Hope
    That's my plan too. Looks like I'm leaving Monday instead of tomorrow. Lots of hiking and not all that happy about going in solo. Should be a fun hunt though. I'll post when I get back.

Quote Originally Posted by cwoods View Post
    Me and my partner are hiking in and prepareing ourselves for 15 to 20 miles in.....
    Wow. 20 miles is a long way to pack out a caribou. You guys must be huge!

Default Dc001

I'd suggest using a mountain bike for the trail portion. We used them a couple of years ago with BOB trailers and the ride in was great. Those 10 - 15 miles will save you lots of time and energy for when the real work starts, hiking up over the pass and finding a good bull. Fun hunt, but will definitely test your definition of "big enough to shoot and haul back 15 miles".
    Happy trails.
    Mike

I went in from the Hope side in '05 and didn't see ANYTHING (except stupid chickens). We went in first week of October. If I were to do it again, which I would if I got a permit, I'd go from the Sterling side or Devil's Pass. We took bikes and it wasn't very fun getting in but it was a breeze coming out, seemed like it was all down hill. I looked into Bob trailers (accidentally searched "boob" trailers on google-you wouldn't believe what I found!) but ended up building a lightweight trailer and took a 2-place kid trailer. My mistake was not taking enough time. We tried to do it in 4 days. Going in from Hope is doable, but you need time to access caribou country and check out the different drainages.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Anton74 View Post
    Boone & Crockett or bust. I checked on some hiking websites and the trail is pretty easy back to the cabin.
    Which cabin? East Creek, Swan Lake? Either way the trail is definately easy.

Tim

Default Which Cabin

Not sure which cabin, I can't find the info again.

Default More "hunting" than "harvesting"

I've hunted this area 4 times and have seen one shootable caribou. One. I've spent many days walking, waiting, looking, glassing - to see nothing. No animals, no sign...nothing. I've flown it pretty low twice and seen no herds or groups...maybe a few singles. The only place you'll find animals in any numbers is way over on Big Indian Creek. Someone said "you guys must be pretty big." I hope so, because you'll need to be to pack a trophy size animal from there back to the trail...let alone to a rig.

This is an over-rated hunt. The Bd. of Game needs to re-configure it. If you're looking for adventure drive up to Chicken, or the Steese, or up the Dalton. This hunt does not provide adventure, just sore tired feet and an empty freezer.

Default shootable bou

Quote Originally Posted by HuntnFish View Post
    I've hunted this area 4 times and have seen one shootable caribou. One.
    This hunt is open to any bou. Are you saying you've only seen one bou there in 4 trips? Or one you'd consider a trophy.

Quote Originally Posted by HuntnFish View Post
    This is an over-rated hunt. The Bd. of Game needs to re-configure it. If you're looking for adventure drive up to Chicken, or the Steese, or up the Dalton. This hunt does not provide adventure, just sore tired feet and an empty freezer.
    I would certainly agree that people have too high of expectations for this hunt, but no adventure? Man, I have to disagree there. I've taken a wolf while caribou hunting up there (and saw 7 more...dang bullets that won't fly straight! ), it is absolutely spectacular country, lots of ptarmagin, goats, and even a few sheep, and maybe a caribou if one is lucky. It is by no means a guaranteed hunt, but I have an adventure everytime I head into those mountains. I am one for two on this permit, and my brother is 0 for 1, but we did see 20 animals when we went in on his permit, but just couldn't close the gap. I still apply every year. (And hey...I'm not that big, and I packed mine out in two solo trips.) I spend a lot of time in the Kenai Mountains when not hunting, and I would say that I see caribou about 15-20% of the time. People should adjust their expectations accordingly.

With just a week left...any suggestion on where to go if they open to motorized?