Thread: Welcome!

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the newest addition to our family of forums. Member Wetland Retrievers brought us this idea, and as a professional retriever trainer has agreed to help get us off the ground here. As with all of our other forums, there is a wealth of expertise that we may not know about among our forum members, so please jump in and post your questions and advice.

Default Great idea

Hunting dogs and questions relate to several other forums, but it is nice to have a central place to share info. I am looking forward to the questions and answers even though right now I have taken a hiatus from training. My dog would rather lay on the rug than go play. That is right up until the time I snap open the o/u. Then he is all man and ready to rumble. Golly I love a good dog!

Default New forum

Hello and welcome.
    I have worked with gundogs for the last 18 years and for the last 5 years professionally. I have rescued, rehabilitated and successfully adopted over 300 retrievers in our rescue program. I train about 20 gundogs a year. Some have competed and qualified in American Kennel Club and North American Hunting Retriever Association events.

Here we can discuss the basics of obedience training and other behavioral issues. Plus we can layout a training program. Showing step by step items to produce a hunting companion you can be proud of.
    There are many resources and folks out there with experience. Keep in mind though; that not every method discussed will work for every dog. Each dog is different and may require a different approach of teaching the same lesson. Some techniques may be too overwhelming on some dogs but yet too soft on others. It is best to consult a professional. As you and your dog progress you must learn how to be your dogs handler. You must work together as a team. Dog training should be fun for you and your dog.

You may also be able to meet folks around you that may be interested in organizing a training group.

So let the fun of dog training begin. I look forward to chatting with you.

[QUOTE=Wetland Retrievers;135857]Hello and welcome.
    I have worked with gundogs for the last 18 years and for the last 5 years professionally. I have rescued, rehabilitated and successfully adopted over 300 retrievers in our rescue program. I train about 20 gundogs a year. Some have competed and qualified in American Kennel Club and North American Hunting Retriever Association events.

QUOTE]

Good idea for a forum discussion and nice to see one with primarily Alaskans. Along with the AKC and NAHRA events I would now invite you north to Fairbanks next summer to participate in the HRC/UKC events held there. The events are put on each year by Interior Alaska Gun Dog Association and sanctioned by the National HRC club. http://www.iagda.org/

With Grouse season open and Duck season 10 days away the new forum topic will likely be slow for a while. I know my crew will be sitting a wet swamp September 1st.

I am interested and have thought about running an HRC event. It seems though that the dates fall on the same weekend as other scheduled events. That darn time coordination thing. Next summer I'd like to make a point to come up and run one. David was down here this past weekend and was filling me in about some of the HRC info. How it all corrilates level wise.

Wetland retrievers are you lacated on the Palmer Fish. I live right around the corner on Unga wasilla fish.

Howdy neighbor.
    Yep, that's my "Retriever Farm"

Have had labs for some yrs and think they are some good dogs in many ways. Hiwood Trooper and Hiwood Delta Dash bred some fine pups. I picked out 1 from each and they both serve not just as companions but retreivers where I live. Now have 2 females and seems labs are my go to pet. Live in the Brooks and have considered but just jokingly have them in a string like Lombard did in the mid to late 60's as "sprint" dogs.(chuckle)

Anyways good to have this forum. Always looking for pointers.

regards,

Default hellow wetland retrievers

hi my wife and i puchased a 3 month old female choc lab called kenie from you a few weeks back. just wanted to say thank you and your wife so much! her new name is katie and she is doing great. she has taken to her name like it was allways hers. shes a little hard headed but very smart and learning well. we just love her and are taking great care of her tell your wife that. its nice that I found this site so I can get advice on her training. we will send pics on putr. thanks again for are new famly member. eddie and dottie and katie