Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mystery Sheep Hunter and Dog

Default Mystery Sheep Hunter and Dog

Does anyone on this forum know the name of the "mystery" sheep hunter from Gakona who gave up hunting because of his diabetes. He can't keep his insulin chilled for that long.
    He and his dog would go up to "?Anderson Glacier" on a small skiff and he would hunt with his dog on the glacial morraines and valleys for a whole month.
    Results. There is a picture of the guy with four dall rams-two of which are killed in the same exact location.
    The two smallest are 44'' inches and the biggest is curl and a half plus at 47 inches with big bases.
    I would just like to know the name of the guy and maybe ask him about his hunts.
    Each sheep that he took was a sheep of a lifetime.

Default ??????

That's new one me. Must have been a long time ago if it is the Anderson Glacier in Wrangell Saint Elias Park - or he could hunt b/0 subsistence qualification - or it is the Anderson Glacier out of Valdez. Do you have a reference for the picture you describe or even better yet post the photograph. I am sure I am not the only one on this forum that would like to see that image....that would be a hell of a carrot.

Default not chilled?

The question also comes to me about the hunter's inability to keep his insulin sufficiently chilled if he was hunting on and around a glacier??

Red face subsistence?

Must be the Anderson Glacier in the park and he must be eligible for this “subsistence” hunting because he lives in Gakona. I’m jealous. Then again I would probably shoot some huge sheep too if I could hunt in a National Park. Kind of a perverse example of subsistence right? A guy could buy a lot of food and shoot a lot of meat with the time and money he spends accessing Anderson Glacier for his trophies. Got a link to the story?
    “I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. “ Fred Bear

Default Subsistence Sheep

I remind my wife all the time that someday we'll move to Chitina just so I can subsistence hunt for 45 inch rams in the park.

Default Kind of a legend

There are a lot of really huge sheep being taken near Chitina Glacier.
    This guy is a legend amongst the subsistence hunters in the Copper River basin. He has a picture of he and four rams that he took.
    Each is a ram of a lifetime and the big one has to be top ten.

Quote Originally Posted by kaboku68 View Post
    There are a lot of really huge sheep being taken near Chitina Glacier.
    This guy is a legend amongst the subsistence hunters in the Copper River basin. He has a picture of he and four rams that he took.
    Each is a ram of a lifetime and the big one has to be top ten.
    How many big rams do you think were killed near Chitina Glacier last year? What do you consider to be a really huge ram? Where did you see the picture of these four huge rams? Maybe the source of the photo can give you more information than we are able to. Can you scan the picture and post it?

Default Mystery Hunter and Tom Butler

Seven rams were taken above 170 bc points. Four were more than 43 inches per side.
    I saw the photo at Tom Butler's house in Kenny Lake who has 12 sheep bigger than 40 inches from every range but Kenai. He kind of is a guru on teaching sheep hunting to many of the younger hunters in the Basin.
    He also has one of the best collections of sheep beta around. Butler was the hunter parnter of Craig Gardner and Orlando Silveidria during the 80's. He probably has forgotten more about sheep than I will ever know.
    I will try to get a scan of the photo that has all four rams from the mystery hunter.

The photo should get an answer if you can post it. Or call Tom and ask him who it is. Do you mean Orlando Saavedra? Guessing so since he's the only Orlando I can think of around here. Tom's son and his son's friend are fanatics about sheep too. Lots of good stories from the two families.

Default More Glennallen Area hunters

Both Garrett and Jake Hunt Sheep. Tony Marchini has the sheep bug as well.
    Walter Brown and Dean Wilson Jr. got a monster last year both named big time sheep.
    I will ask when I get a chance to head back there.
    I would love to see Russell Scribner's 36 inch 180 ram scanned.
    I was working at Ivey's when he brought it in that was a true hog.

You know that many of the Valdez hunters are hitting hogs too.
    My Cousin by marriage nailed a monster last year.file:///Users/northstar/Desktop/sheep2006.bmp

You have to upload the photos onto a website or add them as an attachment before you can post them here.

Default Valdez Hunters?

Kaboku68 I was just wondering why you said the Valdez guys were hitting big sheep too. Just curious because we don't qualify for the same subsistence benefits that they do up north. I wish we did though, like one of the other posts above, I remind my wife quite often that we are going to move up there for the sheep hunting. Anyways just wondering.
    Thanks,
    Brian

Default Pic

I would love to see these pictutes and hear these stories.

Red face

Yep, Valdez doesnt qualify and neither does Soldotna as I checked the list just in case there was a typo so it looks like I wont be hunting the upper Chitina Valley anytime soon. Any idea how the guy accessed Anderson Glacier? They arent allowed to use planes. He could use a jet boat and even bring a four wheeler then still have a good hike in. Just wonderin in case I see any job openings in Glennallen. I wonder if I can subsistance hunt goats in the Kenai Fjords National Park?
    “I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. “ Fred Bear

Default Which one

Not to be a stickler for details but have we established which Anderson Glacier we are talking about...I assume the one in the Wrangell Saint Elias Park. I think subsistence hunters in the Wrangell SA Park are allowed to utilize aircraft to hunt...maybe someone else knows for sure.

"Airplanes may not be used for access to the National
    Park for subsistence purposes but may be utilized
    in the National Preserve. In addition to not landing
    in the Park, subsistence users may not land outside
    the Park in order to walk into or otherwise enter the
    Park for activities."

It does say that they can use 4 wheelers and boats in the park if they dont "damage" the land. I dont think its the Andersen Glacier out of Valdez as that would be pretty coastal for sheep. Those guys from Glennallen are driving 125 miles just to launch their boats, then up the chitina river then hike 15 miles up the glacier. Hard to believe anyone used to do that for subsistence with the nelchina herd around.

Default pseudo subsistence hunting

If that is the case, they weren't "SUBSISTENCE" hunting, they were sheep hunting....under the guise of "subsistence hunting eligible" and anybody who believes otherwise also believes pigs can fly....IMHO.

Default pseudo subsistence hunting

"Those guys from Glennallen are driving 125 miles just to launch their boats, then up the chitina river then hike 15 miles up the glacier. Hard to believe anyone used to do that for subsistence with the nelchina herd around"

If that is the case, they weren't "SUBSISTENCE" hunting, they were sheep hunting....under the guise of "subsistence hunting eligible" and anybody who believes otherwise also believes pigs can fly....IMHO.

Red face moving

Well that solves it. My wife said no on the moving to Glennallen thing. She didn’t actually say no, shes just not going. Well, those are some mighty big sheep and I could hunt the Nelchina herd, but she doesn’t care for some reason. She did say that a fly in sheep hunt was a possibility in the future so maybe its not a total loss. LOL I didnt check on the subsistence hunting in Kenai Fjords yet but I have my suspicion on what those park guys are gonna say....

Why don't you guys hunt sheep up the Chitina River? Anyone can hunt the preserve and it goes all the way to the peaks seperating the Barnard Glacier and Ram Glacier. Do sheep not cross the imaginary line that seperates the park and preserve? Glennallen is only 70 miles from Chitina also. Nothing is stopping anyone from taking their boat 115 miles up the Chitina River to hunt sheep.

Any luck on posting that picture yet?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast