Thread: Haul Rd Question

Default Haul Rd Question

Can anyone tell me how many hours it takes to drive from Fairbanks to Coldfoot, or from Fairbanks to Pump Station 2? Me and my husband would like to drive up there but have never been that way? Any advice. Paved or Dirt Road? Any help would be great.

Default Depending

on road conditions about 8-10 to coldfoot and about10-12 to Pump 2. I would say at least 12 to pump 2. The rain has probably slowed traffic. It has it's paved areas but figure on dirt road the majority of the way. Take your time and remember the truckers own that road, give them room. They are way bigger and when stopping get off the road completely or you can be ticketed or even worse a truck may not see you and end up hitting your vehicle. Good luck and drive safe. Oh and the food at coldfoot is awesome! Gas prices arent!

From Fairbanks to Coldfoot without pushing it too hard takes about 5-6 hours. Probably more to the 6 hour side. From There to PS04 takes about 3 hours depending on the weather (especially on Atigun Pass). From PS04 to PS02 takes about 2 hours. The road is a mix of pavement (very little), gravel, and some sections of chip seal (gravel on top of tar). I haven't been up there for almost a year, but in the fall the road is usually not too bad unless there is a lot of rain. Make sure to bring plenty of supplies. A CB radio, either handheld or in the truck would be a good idea. Everyone uses channel 19 up there. Make sure you have a good spare tire if not two of them. The only place to get any service at all is in Coldfoot. Fuel is pretty expensive there as well. There are lots of little road side pull outs where you can pull over and camp if that is what you are doing. Pretty close to Coldfoot there is a state or federal campground. I've never been there, but I have seen the sign from the road a lot.

Have fun...

What were the fuel prices this year in Cold Foot? Heading up Friday and curious. Deciding on whether to bring alot of extra or is just a few cents 10-30 to the dollar? Any major problems as in construction schedule shutting down road as it did in 04 and 05 for the bridges being repaired?

Default recent travels

Coldfoot is 250 miles from FAI, and about 6 easy hours. As I recall, gas was around $3.50, but they do have a phone so you can call to confirm. We did not eat, but I would have had no problem doing so. Looked clean enough.
    Galbraith Lake was 350 miles from FAI, and as I recall Franklin Bluffs was 470 give or take. I thought the road was very doable even though snotty with mud in places and chewed up in places due to the rain and heavy traffic. But we just took it easy and did not rush. I kept track of fuel and mileage and got somewhere around 19mpg w/ my F-150 from Coldfoot on. Up to Coldfoot I was in the 14mpg range. Lots of easy driving up north to enjoy the views.
    There was a lot more pavement than I expected north of the bridge, but there is still more dirt than asphalt.
    You have heard it already, but really pay attention as much behind you as ahead of you so as to give the big boys plenty of room.

You really lost out Not eating there in Cold foot, they have the best hamburgers anywhere-Period. A few years ago they had a premier chief working there. I ran into himlast year, he sells Nissan on the Old Seward now??? If I stop anywhere the entire trip it is Coldfoot for the food and a shower on the way back, ten bucks yea, but it is worth it after a week of Baby Wipes. The food Breakfast - It is also normally awesome. Now- unless new ownership of the Yukon River stop has happened- the food there sucks bad... Processed everything, didn't know burgers came in gray matter form... Back to Coldfoot, Another good person to talk to is the pilot that fly supplys everyday back and forth from Fairbanks and north, he has a wealth of knowledge where the Bou are at, the same can be said about the guys that work on the tires and vehicles along the road... Thanks for the information on the gas prices, it will make the math a little easier...

Default showered at the truck

When we got off the mountain I was wet already from rain, so I grabbed my towel and some hand wipes/disenfectant little things, stripped down and cleaned up. Felt good. Right about then from down in a swale drives a Security type folk. Poor guy got a lot more than he ever bargained for when he saw my shiny white butt there in all its glory. Oh my, I'm sure he is gonna need counseling. I felt bad for him. Surprised he didn't drive right off the road.

There is a phone for public use at every state camp about every 60 miles

Thank you all for the info, it has been very helpful. I'm sure we will enjoy the trip very much!!

When I drove it in April, it was $3.69 for unleaded. If you have a CB, bring it. I did Fairbanks to Coldfoot in 5 hours. That was pushing it, but I did slow down for the semi trucks. Also try to bring 2 spare tires and an extra 5 gallons of fuel. Enjoy the trip.

Default cold foot fuel

3.98 as of last week for diesle or gas