Thread: 350 Marinepower Starter

Default 350 Marinepower Starter

Quick Question has anyone used just a regular automotive starter on their boat either as the main one or a spare? Man they are expensive that hurt the wallet. LOL Although its just the beginning I'm sure. Thanks

Default Do not use an automotive starter!

Marine electrical parts are spark-protected. If you put an automotive starter (or alternator, etc.) on a boat, you take a huge risk of blowing yourself up. Gasoline fumes sink and collect in the bilge. If you happen to have a non-marine starter, turning that key might be the last thing you do on this planet. Yes, I know that people do put auto parts on their boats....and I suppose more than a few have gotten away with it so far (probably works OK with airboats, eh?) but why tempt fate? Stick with marine parts, mechanical failures will be less and you'll live longer. SE Mike

Instead of buying a new starter take to an electrical rebuild shop. They can tear it down swap out the brushes, bearings and bendix for about 1/3 of the price of a new starter.

Default What SE Mike said>>>>

Plus Coast Guard will be giving you the long tow back if found during an inspection.

That was one of the big things they looked for when they boarded me over the summer. Alternator, starter and fuel pump to ensure that they were all marine compatiable. They also looked at wiring?????? I think they were looking for bad splices or unprotected ends.

Default MarinePower starter

Akonthefly,

MarinePower uses a Delco permanent magnet, gear reduction style starter on their 5.0 and 5.7 engines. They are fairly easy to repair and to get parts for. If your starter isn't too corroded or otherwise damaged, you may be able to fix it yourself. The solenoid is usually the issue with those. Good luck.

thanks all makes good sense ill look into the rebuild and use the old one as a spare.