Thread: Help with shipping pistols

Default Help with shipping pistols

I have done a search on here, but didn't uncover any definate answers as to who provides a shipping service for handguns and how much it costs. I have 2 handguns I need to ship, because I am moving. I understand this needs to be done through a FFL and I have one lined up on the other end, but need one here in AK. Any contact info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Default shipping handguns

Check with Great Northern Guns on Tudor.

Quote Originally Posted by mauserboy View Post
    Check with Great Northern Guns on Tudor.
    I carried a whole passel of guns with me to Alaska on the airlines. We drove the Alcan when we moved up here and wished that I'd brought my long guns with me in the truck ...would've been easy. But I just brought them all back on the next flight Outside and back. All American airlines that I know of let you carry firearms on the plane, but they have to be unloaded and ammo has to be in a separate piece of luggage. You fill out a simple 1-liner form at the counter (nothing to do ahead of time) and you're off. You just need to show ID and sign for your luggage when you get to your destination. They do NOT put any kind of label on the luggage that would flag would-be thieves. Are you flying to your new destination? If so, I'd definitely consider just bringing them on the plane with you. If you are driving, and going through Canada, then you will have to check with them ...I think it's a $25 or $50 fee for all guns that you bring (one fee covers all of them.) But of course, that means that they are then 'registered' with the Canadian government since they now have your info and the gun s/n's etc.) If that bugs you, then I wouldn't do it. I'm fairly certain that you cannot bring handguns though.

If you cannot bring the guns with you in the car/truck, e.g. passing through Canada, then the only way to move guns from state to state is through an FFL transfer as you have already found out.

Brian

Default Thanks

Thanks for the quick responses.

Mauserboy, I will contact great northern guns.....thanks.

tananabrian, I am driving the whole way and plan on bringing my rifles, but have to ship my 2 pistols. Thanks for the advice.

If anyone else has info on shipping the 2 handguns your advice is greatly appreciated.

You can ship guns in your household goods or ship them to yourself.
    Handguns should go via common carrier, i.e. UPS, FedX.
    You do NOT need an FFL on either end! Save your money.

But there is some red tape and a fee involved if taking guns through Canada. And their laws are different so beware of barrel lengths, magazine capacities, etc. You should complete the paperwork in advance.
    http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/factsheets/visitin_e.asp

http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b10

B9) May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity? [Back]
    Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

(B10) May a person who is relocating out of State move firearms with other household goods? [Back]Yes. A person who lawfully possesses a firearm may transport or ship the firearm interstate when changing his or her State of residence.
    Certain NFA firearms must have prior approval from the Bureau of ATF before they may be moved interstate. The person must notify the mover that firearms are being transported. He or she should also check State and local laws where relocating to ensure that movement of firearms into the new State does not violate any State law or local ordinance.
    [18 U.S.C. 922(a)(4) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.28 and 478.31]

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Quote Originally Posted by bustedknee View Post
    You can ship guns in your household goods or ship them to yourself.
    Handguns should go via common carrier, i.e. UPS, FedX.
    You do NOT need an FFL on either end! Save your money.

But there is some red tape and a fee involved if taking guns through Canada. And their laws are different so beware of barrel lengths, magazine capacities, etc. You should complete the paperwork in advance.
    http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/factsheets/visitin_e.asp

http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b10

B9) May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity? [Back]
    Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

(B10) May a person who is relocating out of State move firearms with other household goods? [Back]Yes. A person who lawfully possesses a firearm may transport or ship the firearm interstate when changing his or her State of residence.
    Certain NFA firearms must have prior approval from the Bureau of ATF before they may be moved interstate. The person must notify the mover that firearms are being transported. He or she should also check State and local laws where relocating to ensure that movement of firearms into the new State does not violate any State law or local ordinance.
    [18 U.S.C. 922(a)(4) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.28 and 478.31]

That's an informative post, but the BATFE does not dictate to FedEx or UPS what they can carry when it comes to handguns. They will both more than likely tell you that it needs to be shipped to an FFL holder and then only by overnight service. The problem is is that very few people working for UPS or FedEx now what the law says and they make up their own rules as they go along.

Quote Originally Posted by AlleninAlaska View Post
    That's an informative post, but the BATFE does not dictate to FedEx or UPS what they can carry when it comes to handguns. They will both more than likely tell you that it needs to be shipped to an FFL holder and then only by overnight service. The problem is is that very few people working for UPS or FedEx now what the law says and they make up their own rules as they go along.
    These were very good posts ...glad to hear that no FFL is required. That's great news that I wasn't aware of.

And now that you mention it, I do vaguely recall that one of the parcel-type shipping companies does allow firearms while the others do not... this is old fuzzy memory, but worth checking into I think. I can't recall which one it was though.

Brian