Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting Partner or Solo?

Default Hunting Partner or Solo?

I'll be hunting with a Partner for the first time in 26 years(according to Mom) and the wife, my Mother and Father and just about all my freinds are ecstatic about it....I'm not! I'll be hunting with a good friend but the last time I hunted with a partner it ended our friendship. I'm very picky in the field and don't allow alcohol at hunting camp. My friend seems to be OK with that but I still have misgivings about it. So out of curiosity how many of you are dedicated Solo hunters like I was and maybe again in the near future?

Default Partners

Rick: I used to do a lot of soloing but as the years creep up I see the wisdom of having a partner. Mostly these day it is one of my sons, which is terrific. I found they also make good pack mules. <grin> Day hunts I go by myself a lot, but rarely go out by myself on multi-day hunts.

I was out today by myself, but will be going bear huntin in a couple of weeks and goat hunting the end of Sept. and will have at least one of my sons with me.

I find myself really enjoying the company.

kingfisherktn

Default enjoyed solo

I used to enjoy solo hunts but then I had a bit of an accident.... everything worked out ok... BUT.

now I go with one other person. I too am VERY picky about hunting... I have a better chance of picking a wife than a compatible hunting partner... In my years of hunting I have found two people I can hunt with and that's it..... It limits my hunts a bit but its worth it to come home to see my wife and kids

G

It's absolutely great to experience the gratifying feeling of total independence and self-reliance by solo hunting. That said, this state is so intolerant of 'small' mistakes, that compound themselves exponentially unlike anywhere else in this country. From a pure safety standpoint, one should have a partner; I would qualify that by saying that each partner needs to know and trust the others' abilities AND each should be honest both with themselves and the other when they might be pushing their boundary of comfort level. EG - knowing when to back off a steep cliff face to get to 'the next peak', etc.. I have had some minor accidents that turned out okay, but could just have easily become life threatening and the only difference was very thin line of a sequence of events. I have done both solo and partner hunts, and must say that I enjoy the benefits of both - however, the desire to come home and go hunting on another day tends to outweigh the machismo of the solo hunt.

Thanks guys starting to feel a little better about tomorrow's trip, guess it's just time to accept that I'm getting older.

AKseakayaker
    Hunting for me is a very spiritual and personal experience. But now that Gunther is here I agree that getting home is more important.

Think of it like the dating scene. You'll "date" lots of hunting partners before you find the keepers. I hunted solo for most of my younger years, but finally saw the wisdom (only near misses on accidents, thankfully) of having someone else along. Then it took years of trial and error, first to learn how to hunt with a partner, then to find the partners that worked well for me. I'm lucky to have several now, but I went through some real stinkers to find them.

The worst was a yahoo I took into my favorite spot and swore him to secrecy. I went off and left some gear, so I hiked back in the next day to pick it up. Ran into my "pardner" with four other guys I'd never seen before. Sayonara sucker!

Default Solo

If I depended on people to hunt with to go when I could, I'd never hunt. Solo and the only person you have to wait on is me, myslef and I.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Dave I have a good freind whose offered too hunt with me several times and then has always backed out at the last minute so I tend to agree with you. Also my last experiance with a partner was really bad, guess that why I'm having secound thoughts.

I always hunt with a partner, but once we hit the dedicated hunting area we split up for the day and give each other our plans so we know where to look if one of us does not make it back at the preset time.
    So far none of us had to drag a body bag out of the tundra yet.
    On Kodiak my son and I stay together 100% of the time.
    Tennessee

Default solo

I like going alone. It's the one time of year I don't have to answer to anybody else, listen to other people babble, and do twenty others things for ten other people before I can do one thing for myself.

Having said that, I have had some accidents, luckily nothing more than broken ribs so far, and my wife is really on me to get a hunting partner. I know she's a nervous wreck whenever I'm out.

So, keeping all that in mind I'll continue to look for a hunting partner, but will go alone as long as I can.

Steve

Steve
    Tracy and my friend's begging are the reason I'm doing this I just hope we are still friends come Friday!

It's absolutely great to experience the gratifying feeling of total independence and self-reliance by solo hunting
    Solo and the only person you have to wait on is me, myslef and I.
    These two quotes really sum up my feelings about solo hunts. Sometimes I find the company of myself is the most prefered, but my wife doesn't see it that way. There's something about sitting by a roaring river or on the edge of a majestic valley alone after a long day by yourself that fills me full of a feeling that I cannot describe. I will push the boundary and strive for solo predator hunts but when hunting big game there's a fine line drawn in the sand according to my wife. Now adays I enjoy the company of a good hunting buddy even though they are hard to come by. Sharing the experience with a hunting buddy that doesn't ask to go home at the first sign of a dark cloud, or moan about a long hike, or bickers about a long cold night is hard to come by but when you find one the time spent in the woods is much more enjoyable if you ask me.

I have one person that I have hunted with for the last 15 years. And most of the time if he don't go I will go solo.

Rick,

I completely understand the personal experience of it - I find the same thing on solo paddles out in the ocean.....and on solo hunts. In so saying, it sounds like it is a simple matter of changing priorities. "A thing is neither good nor bad but thinking makes it so"; the priority now being to get back home safely to be with your family. I assume that Gunther is your son? As one responder aptly typed it, find a partner that shares some of your thoughts on the hunt - when you get to the field, most of the time is still spent solo in the field - only to meet back up at camp and share the camaraderie of the day....and as your son gets older, you will one day have your ideal hunting partner......Besides, one sure can't beat having another pair of hands on site after you pull the trigger.....

Default Partners

Rick,

I understand what you're saying. When I'm solo I pack lighter, hunt better, and am freer to go wherever the mood takes me. It's a whole different kind of hunt. Not better or worse, just different.

I think the safety consideration is something that should be looked at, but if that's the reason for doubling up, your partner better know what he's doing. Just having another guy out there will not necessarily make you safer- it could be the opposite. I have a great friend with whom I would hunt about anywhere I guess, though we haven't hunted together for many years. But one spring we were hunting black bears over in Sadie Cove and I accidentally (uh... stupidly) stabbed myself in the leg with a fillet knife. It went in about an inch, and bled pretty good. Dan came over to see what happened and he nearly passed out when he saw the blood. Now, this is a guy who went to Kodiak Island and was hunting deer out of a cabin. One morning he got up to take a nature break and saw that a bear had taken all four deer off the meat pole. So he went out there in his long handles and socks, followed the drag marks, dug the deer out from under the brush pile where the bear left them and hung them back up on the meat pole. He had no weapon with him! So he's not a wimpy guy. But it turned out that the sight of human blood made him go weak. I don't think I want a guy like that around in a real crisis.

It's really hard to find a truly solid partner; one who works well with you, who knows your moods, is willing to really share the load without telling you how to do everything, doesn't care who shoots first, shares your same outdoor ethics, is willing to overlook your faults, and provides good companionship. Women seem to have an easier time of it, but I think most of us guys are lucky to find one person like that in our lifetime.

A good hunting partner will also understand when you want to go alone, and why.

Good luck in your search. Good hunting partners are like gold.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Here's one tip I've found invaluable in the search for hunting pardners:

Make lots of small trips with them first, even an hour or two.

You'll learn lots about how they move, their gun safety practices, how handy they are, how much they need to talk, and whether you can stand being around them for hours, much less days.

Small game hunts, trips to the range, casual hours sitting and watching game, overnight camps, and more will tell you all you need to know about a potential pardner. I do lots of this kind of things with potential hunting pardners before I ever consider taking them on extended hunts.

Some of them remain small game and short trip pardners, while others become range companions. Those are good additions to your hunting life, even if they never make the grade for big hunts.

I'm not smart enough to guess how good a hunting partner someone will be, so I have to get to know them a little at a time. I've got lots of hunting friends I do short term stuff with now, and that's been really cool.

Only a few have made the grade and become the kind of hunting pardner you are looking for. I know I'm really lucky to have half a dozen or so I can rely on, but I've earned them following the path I just described. And yeah. Along the way they have taught me how to hunt with a pardner. It's as hard as finding the right pardners, but it was a lesson I needed to learn after so many years hunting solo. I wasn't a very good companion when I first started looking for a pardner, and it's definitely a two way street.

Default Partners

I fish with them first. I know its not the same, but you can get a measure of a partner when it is cold, wet and the fish aren't biting. I fish hard and if the don't measure up to that, then I certainly will not hunt with them. I am blessed with a hard hunting Dad and brother and though we are spread over three states, we get together to hunt at least every couple of years. I think the short small game hunt is a great suggestion to know about weapon safety and knowhow.

Default Accidents

do happen and, yes, after they happen they always appear stupid (see Mike's response). But when on a day hunt they usually aren't life-threatening. On a long hunt that may be different. Good hunting partners are difficult to come by but they can also make the difference between life and death. No single hunt is worth dying for.

I like hunting with a partner, I like the company, and its always neat to hear what everyone else saw at the end of the day.
    I like the added safety measure as well.
    And the extra hand that is there when the work begins is nice too.

But it is hard to find a good one. So far I have only been on extended hunting trips with one freind that I know isnt going to make me mad or be a slacker.

I got high hopes for my other freinds though. Just gotta go hunting with them.

As others have mentioned I think going out with them on little trips is key to get a good idea on what type of experience they have and their ethics. However, as also mentioned, you never know how someone is going to react when the pooh hits the fan. If both of you are calm under pressure and have similar ethics things ought to be fine.

As for me I typically try get folks to help me out in new areas or if I'm hunting or doing something new. Once I get an idea of what's going on, I typically go about it by myself for a while. Once I feel confident in things I like bringing other folks out for the experiences. I like to work my butt off and feel like I've accomplished something and I go out with people with the same mentality.

Another thing I forgot to mention is how you define a good "hunt." If you're out for blood and don't care about anything else you better be going with someone with a like mind. If you enjoy just being out there, try to get someone who feels the same way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast