Thread: Haul Rd Walk-in

Default Haul Rd Walk-in

Heading up Labor Day Weekend. I was told there in a trail that heads out back behind Galbraith Lake. Has anyone did that trail before if there is one. Also would the Caribou be in that area by that time. Thanks.

Default Trail

Yeah there is a trail and parking off Road.I have camped there a few time's and never not came home with meat,Pretty good walking too,But I don't know if they have moved that way yet??Good luck.

Default Hoping for the same.

I am going up about the same time--leaving out on Wednesday and have off from work until Wednesday the 5th. I am planning to camp in the same general area. Since I am rifle hunting will be walking for the 5 miles and heard the trail is better than drudging through other areas.

But I also have the same concern from reports a couple friends gave upon their return that the bou were still much fruther up and east. Not sure how accurate the info is, and have no way of gauging myself since this will be my first trip up. I'll have several days to make a go of it--although I would love to have a couple days to scout a bit for brown bear and moose on my way back to the Kenai should I connect with a bou early.

As of right now, it looks like I am solo. I will be in a dirty silver 2005 Chevy Z-71 with campershell--stop and say howdy.

Will
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

Default water sources?

Are there plenty of water sources as you go in 3-5 miles, we are looking to do the same from the 7th to the 15th of Sept, but of course will go further north if that is where the bou are.

I just got back today from a Haul Road 5 mile hike. I went East from the Solid Waste Transfer Station, which is North of Galbraith. I could see for atleast five miles in all directions from an overlook on top of a hill and didn't see any caribou at all in three days. Things could change at any time, but I would recommend going further North until you come across 'bou before going in for five miles.

Finding water isn't usually a problem out on the tundra. I would say you couldn't go more than half a mile without finding clear water. I found two little ribbons of running water within a quarter mile of my camp. Just make sure to filter/purify and you'll be fine.

We will be heading up the morning of the 31st From Eielson. If the bou are not around Galbraith, we will use it as base camp and do some driving looking for them. We did the hike last year and saw some nice bou about 20 miles down the road from Galbriath, but we cut it short because of a snow storm. I had a 4x2 at the time and wanted to get back over the pass before it got too nasty. That was in the middle of August.

Default its a good idea...

to stay mobile. Don't lock in to Galbraith if they aren't there, seems like a waste of time and resources..

We like the area around Franklin bluffs and Icecut, but again bou are fickle. I'd drive and glass until you strike paydirt and camp close to that area.

Frank

Default Latest Locations

Did anyone go up the Haul Rd last weekend? Just wondering were they where seeing the Bou at.

Just got back Sat. from being up there 10 days. We didn't get to connect on anything, but the weather was the best I've seen in Alaska for the 8 years I've been here. We were seeing the most just north of happy valley. Saw quite a few bulls the first three days and then it got slow. It was to the point we would be lucky to see a bull a day. That is why we headed back early. Weather is just too warm, so they are all still setting on the coast. In the whole time there I saw one harvested with a bow, the rest were all taken from flying in. The guy there charges 750 an hour to fly you out, he is not very busy so use that as a last resort.

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info. I was wanting to stay at Galbriath Lake, but it looks like we will be going farther north.

Default My first time

The first time I hunted the haul rd I drove to Galbriath and hiked in. There was no boo to be had. So in the same day I drove about 100 miles north and hiked in again. I got a nice bull. After packing it out in one trip I drove back to fbks and bought a bow. Six miles of *hummocks with a big boo on your back is tough. Now I use a air boat or a air plane.
    Last edited by Brian M; 08-28-2007 at 11:49. Reason: language
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

www.arcticconcealment.com

Quote Originally Posted by gobblinfool View Post
    Are there plenty of water sources as you go in 3-5 miles, we are looking to do the same from the 7th to the 15th of Sept, but of course will go further north if that is where the bou are.
    Some areas have ton of water, but the only thing you have to watch out for is the water source freezing up. Creeks and rivers will not be a problem if flowing but lakes will freeze quick up there. I was up there one time sept 13-23 and it all the lakes were frozen.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK