Thread: Most Accurate Load for 375H&H and Hornady Bullets

Default Most Accurate Load for 375H&H and Hornady Bullets

Hi all,

Has anyone worked up an accurate load for the 375H&H using Hornady bullets? I was thinking about the 300 RN interbonds. Thanks for the advice. : )

Ron

Thumbs down Hornady's in .375

I will never shoot a Hornady bullet at a dangerous game animal again. I dammned near got mauled a few years ago because I shot a brown bear from 40 yards with a Hornady 300 grain bullet out of my .375 H&H. All that happened was it rolled that bear, it came up, locked on my partner who was standing about 10 or 12 feet to my left, and came full charge. I still see those eyes locked on him and hear his teeth popping and see him shaking his head from side to side low to the ground as he came. This was no bluff charge. It took just seconds for all this to unfold, but it seemed like an hour. I was able to get a shot off from the hip and hit that bear beside the nose at just a few yards. I shot him again as he was sliding into my partner, who didn't even have time to take his gun from his shoulder, it happened so fast.

Now I only load and shoot Nosler Partitions for hunting any big game, and have had no problems since. They simply work, and you have no worry about the bullet failing, like that Hornady did. By the way, after this was all over, I looked for the first bullet. It was a perfect shot through the shoulder, but that bullet exploded after it got under the hide, only causing a minor wound on that bear.

No, I will not now or ever recommend Hornady's to anyone except for target practice.

By the way, that bear squared out at 9' 3".
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

Don't know what your hunting, but since you didn't mention dangerous game I'm not going down that path. I do use lots of Hornadys in my 375, especially the 270 spire. Good bullet for anything I've tried it on. Accurate as can be for long range shooting, too.

My standard and most accurate load for two guns is 72 grains of IMR-4064. Nothing fancy, but it gives 2625-2650 fps from the 22" barrel of my bolt gun and a little more from my #1. I could probably squeeze a little more out of 4064 or switch to another powder for even more whoop. But I've got lots of 4064 and the combo shoots well in both rifles. It hovers around 1.5" from the bolt gun and usually a fraction less in the #1. That's minute of moose or elk in anyone's book, and it's popped more than a few deer along the way- some of those out near 300 yards. Any time this load has failed to do the job, it was driver failure rather than vehicle malfunction.

Quote Originally Posted by GrassLakeRon View Post
    Hi all,

Has anyone worked up an accurate load for the 375H&H using Hornady bullets? I was thinking about the 300 RN interbonds. Thanks for the advice. : )

Ron

I picked up a bunch of the 300gr RN Interbonds last winter. Hornady discontinued them, so several online vendors had the pretty cheap ($17/50 delivered). They shoot well out of my .375 with IMR 4064. I never tried them on game, so I can't comment on that.

Hi all,

No bear for this load! I will work on the Woodleighs for that game. This is just a whitetail and paper load only, well maybe elk or moose, but no bear. Just for giggles, what would your stop them cold load for bear be in the H&H? I know "Stop them Cold" is just a saying, not fighting words....Thanks Again

Ron

Whatever I had in the gun. I assume you are talking about a charge.

I probably would use Nosler 300's if I was hunting bear, but when hunting anything else that 270 spire/4064 load would already be in the gun. No qualms on my part, but I've spent a lot of time around bears and have more faith in good shooting than wonder bullets.

Default ???

Murphy, you can have all the fun you want, but you weren't there. The gun got from my shoulder to my hip because I am left handed and to work the bolt, I had to lower it. Can't cycle it otherwise. I now own left handed hunting bolt guns exclusively because of this experience.
    We were walking across a field and I was in the lead. I saw the bear and didn't have time to say anything to him. He was not in the same position I was, so he initially didn't see it. I saw it, saw it was a good bear, and took the shot.
    That's what and why. I won't justify this to anyone that wasn't there.
    As I said, the first shot hit him in the shoulder. If it would have worked as designed, it would have been a perfect lung/upper heart shot. What killed him? A 300 grain .375 round entered beside his nose and went into the brain from a few feet. Blew the skull to hell. Luckily, this second bullet held up...........
    My third shot was downward just behind it's hump, but it wasn't needed.
    As has been stated many times from people that have faced these charges, you don't have time to do anything but react when they charge at close range. The armchair hunters can spew their beliefs all day long, but few have faced a real situation and even less can say they had time to "plan" their next move. You can't. If you can, it isn't a real charge and you have no reason to shoot.
    I don't know why you would "have fun" with this. It really wasn't funny.

When I re-read my answer, it was much harsher than I realized. Didn't mean to sound so defensive.
    Yes, it was a once-in-a-lifetime event I hope to never repeat, I can tell you. I have had many encounters with black, griz and brownies over the years, but none as serious or as close as this. 99.999% of the times, the bears just turned and ran when I came upon them. But one like this is a life-changing (plus underwear changing) event. It happened so fast we didn't have time to get scared or even think, just react. That's why I went to only left-hand bolt guns and carrying a .338 or bigger in bear country. Before this, I was VERY comfortable carrying my .280 or .30-06.
    Yes, my shot from the hip had devine guidance, as all I could do was work the bolt and fire. Yes, I lost the skull, but I was extraoridinarily lucky to make that shot under those circumstances.
    I've had "dead" black bears try to ambush me a time or two. One time I saw it and shot it again and another time in PWS, I was tracking a hard-hit blackie and found it backed under a group of ferns watching it's back trail, crouched and apparently ready to pounce on who or whatever was following it. It died like that before I found it.
    Bears are fascinating to me, and over the years, I have seen them do things you would never think possible.

This is why I am sold on Partitions. I don't know if I had the one in a million junk Hornady bullet, but even that set of odds is too great for me to take a chance on again. I have shot a large number of caribou, moose, deer, an interior griz and a sheep with different caliber and weights of Partitions. None failed and all performed flawlessly.

Wink

Some big game hunters who hunt in Africa SCI, think that there is a big diffrence with Hornady big game bullets,375 spire vs. round nose 270 grain, as far as they expand. They feel that the spire"s are alot stronger than the roundnose type. This may be true, their reloading manual recomends them at the higher vel"s. Bill
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

Default BrownBear Rules!

I hope you don't mind me saying this in public, But your info helped me alot. On Wednesday my wife bought me the Anniversary Lee Reloading set. Collet dies, crimper, and the BrownBear load specs. I loaded 10 rounds and went to the range today. The first shot was .414" to the right of dead center. The 3 shot group was .920" measured on the digital micrometer. Great Advice...I can't thank you enough.

Ron

Delighted to hear it worked out so well, Ron. Heck, your rifle outshoots both of mine right out of the box!