Thread: Best ghost ring sight for marlin 1894

Default Best ghost ring sight for marlin 1894

What do you guys think of the different types/makes of Ghost ring sights for the marlin? Do you guys think the protective Wings on some of them are needed? Any other suggestions/comments welcome. I'm looking for a set of these for a marlin 1894SS 44 mag I just got. Should I stick with the factory front and just change the rear? Is a post or beed front sight better on ghost rings. Your opinions and experiences will be much appreciated.

Thanks, Jake

Default Best ghost ring sight

Hi Jake,

I know I'm not the best one on this site to fully answer your question, as I too am in the market for that sight for my new Marlin 1895XLR 45-70.

The 3 makers of ghost rings that I have some knowledge of are those from XS Sights, Brockman, and Wild West Guns in Alaska. All 3 makers have websites.

The one I am leaning toward is the set-up from Wild West Guns. It does have the protective "wings" on the rear sight (so does Brockman). I intend to call them this week to speak to them about their sights. I am not certain if you need to, or necessarily should, change out the factory front sight. Hopefully someone else can give you an answer to that question. Since Wild West appears to sell the rear sight by itself for $85 and the rear/front both for $149, I would assume the factory front sight can be used - but, I am NOT certain of that!!

As to the question, are the wings necessary? Well, there is a fellow on this site - goes by the handle of BrownBear - VERY knowledgeable. He recommends the winged ghost ring as protection against striking the ring and throwing it off, or even worse, bending it, etc.

Hope this helps a little bit.

MD Mike

Thumbs up WWG sights

I just returned 1/2 hour ago from shooting my 45-70. I bought the front and rear sight from WWG and the front red fiber optic sight and the ghost rings IMHO is well worth the money. It really helps in acquiring a fast sight picture.

kingfisherktn

I have an 1894 and a Model 39, both with the factory front sight and a Lyman rear (I think it is a No 57). They work well together. I have an 1895 with the Ashley front and rear sight and they work well too. I'm not sure which I like best, but both work well. I do like the protective wings on the Ashley, you never know when you will fall and if you break off the rear sight you are pretty well out of business. Jim

Thanks for the respones! I decided to try a set of skinner sights. www.skinnersights.com
    If these don't workout I'll buy a set of WWG's. Along with a happy trigger kit, and a bear proof ejector

Jake

Default sight

XS sight sytems, no wings, front sight with white line.