Thread: Taking dad-in-law to fish AK for 76th B-day

Default Taking dad-in-law to fish AK for 76th B-day

I can hardly believe it's true but I'll be wheels up next Tuesday, on my way to Alaska for a fishing trip with my father-in-law. My wife called me at work this morning after having breakfast with her dad. Today is his 76th birthday. He told her he would like to go fishing in Alaska. So it looks like I will get to make my 16th trip up afterall. I booked our tickets (yep it was a nosebleed); got our rental car; booked our stay in Anchorage and about 6 nights in Seward and two days of halibut fishing. I don't have a lot of hope for catching any salmon but it sure would be nice to get into some. I guess maybe I can show him some spawning ones anyway and smack his hand when he reaches for his reel, LOL. He's never been before so this will be a real treat. I'm going to book a night in Homer also; can't let him go to Alaska and not at least SEE Homer!! If anyone has any ideas that would add to his experience just let me know.

Jeez man, there will be millions of salmon to catch. Silvers are kinda late almost everywhere. I read a post today on another site about a guy just catching red after red on the Kenai (blushed out mostly) (still said he caught some chromers.

Kasilof still has reds arriving. The Mat-su rivers are only STARTING to get silvers.

Homer will have the snagging hole open soon. (I mean you can fish there now, but I have not heard it is open to snaggin yet)
    Seward has silvers that you can catch from shore. Same with Whittier but they are later and hard to time.

There is still a lot of fishing to be done!!! I am planning on weeks and weeks of fishing still.

OK, well dang, I'm gonna get the wife to get the grease hot! Thanks for the advice; we will be bringing our fishin poles with us and counting on slamming some salmon!!

Default will be there also

I will be there also, only my second trip. We went the same time two years ago and had a great time. We did very well in Valdez. I am hoping to get to some backwoods areas this time to explore more.
    We get in on Wednesdat 8/29 and leave 9/5. We drive and tent it from Anchorage down to Homer and up to Valdez and all places in between. Trying to find the run. I want to do some catch and release of trout and it would be cool to try some fly fishing of Grayling, which I have never done.
    We can compare stories when we get back. If you see a little black and red tent that might be us.

Have fun seeing the sights and gettin spooled!

I took my brother-in-law up there a few years back. We drove to Valdez from Anchorage; thought it was going to be a reasonably nice drive; after all, it's only about 1/2" on the map. He drove like a man possessed and it still took us about 7 hours or so. We drove thru Thompson pass 2 hours ahead of snow and it was June 20th, the day before solstice. It was nice but my favorite is down on the Kenai. Best wishes n fishes!