Thread: where to find a come-along?

Default where to find a come-along?

i'm looking ot buy a decnet come-along for a honda foreman 440. the old man is to cheap to buy a winch and i don;t have the money for one. so looking for a cheaper aletnative. where should i look to find one and about what size shoudl i get?

Ugh! Sounds like too much work!

I'd bet you could find one at AIH.

Besides the come along, you'll need lots of rope/cable/strap. The synthetic wire rope they are selling for winch upgrades nowadays is very nice to work with. Otherwise, consider rock climbing webbing (strap) from a place like REI.

Default Folding come-along

Besides a length of rope your best bet is a little folding come-along with it's own carry case. A friend bought one for his snowmachine and it doesn't hardly take up any room. The rope takes up more space. Unfortunately I don't remember the brand he got, but a google search will give you an idea. It was less than 50 bucks shipped.

Default Come along

Alaska Ind. Hardware

I got one of those folding come-a-longs at AIH. I think it was about $35. It rides in the saddlebags on my snowmachine. It doesnt take up much room and sure is nice to have sometimes!

I have a winch on both of my machines but I also carry a rope come along with 100 feet of 1/2 inch rope. That is a real good combination for someone without a winch. You can buy them at AIH. If you can reach a tree or something solid within 100 feet you can use all of the rope as one winch. Mostly I carry that in case I get into a mess when I am by myself.

Default thanks guys

thanks for the info guys. i have a 100 ft of static climping rope wich will be more then strong enough. just did not know where to look for the other. so AIH it is. the area i will be hunting is pretyt heavily wooded so finding a tie off point should not be hard just some nasty mud holes.

Default Hand winch

You might give this some consideration too -

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/for/393806628.html
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Hand winching

I don't have a winch on my wheeler but 99% of my riding now is with a group. If (when) I do get stuck I just say "Hellpp" and when everyone get done laughing and taking pictures they throw me a line.
    I do carry a come-along for the 1% of the time though. I use a strap with some stretch to it though. I can preload the cable by the come-along and snatch strap and then work the machine out. Without any stretch if you are stuck tight you are winching, getting on and gaining an inch, getting back off and winching another inch.....
    I'm to old for that crap!
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Default Block & tackle

These simple devises serve multiple purposes. Used as a rope, they help the winch reach farther, or anchor to keep the ATV from rolling farther while the winch pulls, Used as a ATV mover they work when a battery is dead.