Thread: New Release?

Default New Release?

I just got a new arrow rest and a string loop (wanted to anchor just a hair furthur back and wanted to lessen string wear) put on my bow and my old tru-fire release is pretty bulky up front and not too acommodating. I am left handed and dont know if that would make any difference but what releases do you guys use? Velcro or buckle? Different styles? I've got a $50 dollar SW gift card and will likely get one there but I am looking for recommendations or even ones to steer clear from?

Default Fletch hunter

i really dont think that you can go wrong with a fletch hunter. they have been around a long time and are bullet proof. IMO they are the best hunting release.
    "The road goes on forever and the party never ends"

Default Release for string Loop

I agree that the Fletchunter is a super release, (I have one) but it was designed to clip straight onto the string, and is a bit awkward to attach to a string loop-
    I switched to a Carter 2 shot because of that problem, but the 2 shot is pretty expensive. (The Carter Quickie series is excellent as well, but well over $50)
    The Scott Itty-bitty Goose is pretty popular with loop shooters, and is less expensive than the Carters.
    You might do well to go in to a shop and try some releases, to find which fits you best-
    :}

The folks at Fletchers are pretty knowledgable, and may have releases for you to try.
    They're in Wasilla.

Default just my thoughts

Ditto on what raven said, go see fletchers to try a few out, but I will tell you that for the price, that the little bitty goose can't be beat. You can move the head wiht an adjustable strap, adjustable trigger pull, I think it is $65 at sportsman warehouse. Good luck.

Wayne

I was just lookin to put that 50 bucks towards one, knowing it was going to cost more than that. So no opinions on velcro vs. buckle and nothing specifically for LH shooters?

Default just some thoughts

I am sure that you can find something for 50bucks, as far as velcro versus buckle, the only thing that I could come up with against velcro is consistency in strapping it on the same way, whereas a buckle you should hit the same hole, velcro also has the potential of being noisy at the worst time, whereas buckle doesn't make noise.

Default Scotts

I shoot a Hoyt with a string loop, and I have two Scotts little goose releases. I really like them. Been shooting with them for quite a few years now, and doubt I'll change any time soon. Ironically what lead me to use this release is I found one laying on the ground out in the middle of public hunting land, and I picked it up figuring the previous owner would never have a chance of finding it. I had no way to advertise the find since at the time I was doing a tour in Michigan and was hunting on the U.P. in a National Forest. No towns close by.

So, I figured it was fate and luck. I've had the same string loop on my bow for probably 5+ years, and there's no sign of noticeable wear yet. The trigger on the realease is also adjustable. Oh yeah, buckle. No chance I'd ever use anything with velcro ever again. Too noisy, and with a buckle I get the release around my wrist at the exact same tension every time. So my anchor doesn't change.

I use a TruBall buckle style. It is a dual caliper and I am pleased with it. I had a Velcro one come loose on me while at full draw. I was shooting in the winter and I think that my coat sleeve might have caused it to come loose. After that I purchased the buckle style.

Default X-Caliper

My release is close to 17 years old. I just can't seem to wear it out. It is a velcro closure that runs through a ring and back on to itself. It has stretched a bit, but not like leather. To date the velcro still latches well. The only think I don't like about the release is it has a stiff shaft from the harness to the head. It is hard to get it out of the way even though it has a swivel point at the harness.
    Right now if I were to buy another release i would look hard at the Fletch Hunter. It is time proven, very adjustable, light weight, and can be tucked back underneath your sleeve cuff if necessary.
    I too shoot a loop.

Default Fletch

Fletch Hunter Shorty. I have three, two identical. One has the velcro wrist strap and I like it the best. The others have a loop to put your hand through.

The Fletch has never let me down and I had my first one since 1990.

Great release!

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Releases are like a lot of items, personal preference is a big thing. I have been using Scott mongoose for many years and can't say a bad thing about it. Regarding velcro/buckle options, I agree with those who like the ability to return the release to the exact same position everytime. Something the velcro strap will not always do.

It all boils down to what you find that works for you. It would be good if you could try different ones before turning over the cash.

I like the straps. Consistent strapping every time. I have a old green precision release. I think I got it for around $30. It has been the best release for me. I shoot it off the main sting. I haven't had problem yet with string wear. I'm lefty to.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK