Thread: New to Duck Hunting-Questions

Default New to Duck Hunting-Questions

First off, let me say that I am new to duck hunting. I bought a Remington 870 in 1993 for the purpose of duck hunting and have NEVER duck hunted! (I shot some rabbits and spruce chickens with the shotgun though.) I need some general idea as to where to hunt ducks around the Palmer Hay Flats-I obviously don't want to know anyone's favorite spots, just somewhere that I can put in my time and have a crack at some fowl. My partner has duck hunted before, but out of Nikiski and is unfamiliar with the Hay Flats region.

I have 2 '84 Big Red 3 wheelers and my buddy has a small 12' boat with a 3 horse that can get wherever the canoes can go. I have no idea where to even begin to ride/boat to access the ducks. BTW, I have a 16' Hewescraft Sea Runner with a 40 hp too, if that may be of any use to access an area. Any help would be generously appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Tim

Check out the Jim Creek area. With that canoe set up you could easily put in at the end of Maud Road and access a lot of really good duck area.

Default Hay Flats

The main access to the Palmer Hay flats is off of Hayfield Rd., which breaks off of the Fairview Loop Road. Look for the brown state sign a mile or two down Hayfield Road. Your big reds will work fine on the trail. Opening day the tides may be too high for them though. You could also take the small boat up rabbit slough to access part of the same area.

Quote Originally Posted by lucy1 View Post
    You could also take the small boat up rabbit slough to access part of the same area.
    I was wondering about Rabbit Slough, I do know where that is.

Thanks.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    Check out the Jim Creek area. With that canoe set up you could easily put in at the end of Maud Road and access a lot of really good duck area.

That sounds like a good idea too, thanks.

Tim

PS: Dumb question here-when does duck season end?

In 14A well after the water gets hard. around dec 16

you can also hunt the anchorage coastal wildlife refuge if you have hunter ed, nothing like hunting next to town
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Wink rabbit slough

I will not be hunting the Hayflats this year. Moved to SE. Use google earth or get some good maps. Off of Rabbit slough there are some potholes which were used for duck habitat. Never got to try them but was always in the back of my mind. Let me know if it pans out.

ruckus
    I think I know the spots your talking about walked into them once. the walk was harder then you would think. And diden't jump any birds. On the map they look man made and I'm sure are. Figured I would check it out. If they are the same spots, they are to close to the parks for me. Noise from the traffic would drive me nuts.

Rabbit slough is a good area later in the season.
    Way too many people on the opener though. I've had someone swing through a bird and had the shot hit the reeds next to me. Three years ago I had some kid stalk up on my decoy spread and he slayed a plastic duck. I made him take it with him. I told him he shot it he has to eat it.

Fortunately (sp?) I'm going to hunt mid-September, early October. Maybe it won't be that crowded then.

Tim

Default Wetland

Did you give him any cooking instructions? I heard they melt at relatively low temps.

Default Baked Flambeau Mallard

No. I didn't. But there was so much shot rattling on the inside. I did tell him to carefully remove all the pellets before he took his first bite.

The Palmer-Hays Flat area, can I get into any spots with just my two legs? (no ATV or boat). Same access points as described above? and the coastal wildlife refuge, does tide matter to duck hunting? (i too am new to duck hunting). thanks!

Yes. Cross the foot bridge at the cottonwood creek area and follow the trail to the right or go left and where the creek goes back up into the trees go right. Stay away from the area straight out in front of the bridge. Lots of floating bogs. The ducks hold better in the grassy areas on the edge of the ponds anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by AK DUCKMAN View Post
    ruckus
    I think I know the spots your talking about walked into them once. the walk was harder then you would think. And diden't jump any birds. On the map they look man made and I'm sure are. Figured I would check it out. If they are the same spots, they are to close to the parks for me. Noise from the traffic would drive me nuts.

Sorry that would be the Glen not the parks