Thread: Water in Fuel System-Hewes Craft

Default Water in Fuel System-Hewes Craft

I have a reoccurring problem. I keep getting water in my fuel system. I have a racor filter/seperator installed and it helps but the water is entering the system from somewhere. It seems to much for condensation and I keep the tank full. I have also tried different service stations.

I pumped the tank dry, inspected the filler cap, lines, and tank body for damage. The gaskets at the sending unit and the pick up/vent lines looks good. I did find that a cap was missing on one of the fuel tank vents. I have ordered replacement parts and I hope this fixes it.

Has any other Hewes Craft owners had problems with water entering through the tank vents? My boat has the plastic attwood vents. They are mounted on the port side of the stern and seem to be pretty close to the water when I am sloshing around in the bigger swells and chop.

Thanks

I bought an old Searunner a few years back that had a similar problem. The way the tank was designed, the vent/filler/sender holes in the top of the tank were lower than the rest and rain/sea water pooled in those locations. My gaskets were dry rotting and water was seeping in. I ended up pulling all the fittings in the tank and used the old gaskets as patterns to make new ones. If you end up doing the same, go to Alaska Rubber Supply, they're good guys and gave me some nitrile scraps at no charge.

I had the same problem in a Searunner. Never could fix it and Hewes and Deweys told me "it couldnt happen" so I just carried a couple of containers of heet and drained the Racor every trip.
    Tennessee

I guess I should add my boat is a 1998 Searunner 210 Soft Top.

I had a river runner that had the 2 vents on the port stern and they were always either burping or sucking air as the boat rocked the way to fix it is to re-route the front vent hose under the dash and up the side of the boat and under the gunwhale. after that I naver had a problem.

Default me too!

I sealed the air vent at the stern of the boat and ran a new one that was in my splash well. Never happened again.

Default Water in Gas

I bought a new '95 21 foot SeaRunner. I was frequently getting water in the gas. Turns out there was a design flaw, and there wasn't any anti-back flow device on the gas tank vent. I talked with Hewes Craft and they apologized like crazy and sent me two of the devices. I installed one in about 5 minutes and the problem went away. There's a very remote chance I can find the second one in my garage. Let me look.

Default Back-Flow Device

I couldn't find it. If I remember right, it's a simple chamber with a ball that only allows gas & gases to escape from your vent line. I've gotta' believe that Dewey's has the part or a direct phone call to Hewescraft will get you the part. That's what I did. It does not allow water into the tank. I had more of a problem when the port side rode lower in the water than the starboard side.