Thread: North Slope caribou report

Default North Slope caribou report

Returned from our hunt on the Canning River 80 miles east of Happy and am pleased to report lots of caribou moving west. They are spread out in groups of 5-300. We saw probably a couple thousand in 7 days. If weather stays "hot" it may slow their progress some, as they seem to hang out in the mountains when that happens, but in any case they should be to the Dalton any old time.
    Like many others on this forum have mentioned, kudos to Ralph at Deltana Outfitters, who, though we had our own plane and were not using his services, was very helpful about where the animals were, places to land, relayed satphone messages when our plane got stuck in Happy and we were still in camp, etc. A good outfit. It furthered my confidence in Deltana to discover that the former fish and wildlife officer from Coldfoot is now flying for him.

Default Thank for the up-date

I am making my first trip up there next week--which is now looking up to be a solo hunt. Wish I was flying in, but am relegated to the highway and will be rifle hunting as a shoulder injury after falling on the ice in February set me back on getting the bow cert this year. So it looks like a long slow walk is in store. But even with rifle and walking stix in tote, I am extremely excited. (my tone may change after a few hours in the tussocks)

Will
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

Default thanks for the report

Thanks for the report. I am headed to the Ivyshak on friday. I can not wait.

Yeah, we had some questions for Ralph about having antlers in camp if the meat was 200 yards away. Curt was able to answer our question pretty well. His knowledge in Ralph's outfit is great.
    EricL

wildwill, the tundra was pretty dry when we were there, that helped the walking a lot. Hopefully it will stay that way. I think it contributed significantly to very few bugs also. AFHunter, are you doing the airboat thing? Or aircraft? Either way you should get into a lot of animals.

Default Dalton highway conditions

I will be driving up day after tomorrow from Fbks to Sag and have not read anything about the road conditions. Seem to remember last year being wet and sloppy and making for large potholes and other bad conditions but not too much rain this year to contribute to like conditions. Hate to assume anything of course but if anybody can tell me what they have seen or heard would be great.

Good Luck and safe travels. BW

Default Flying in

Wes Walker,

We will be flying in with Coyote Air out of Coldfoot. We are driving from my house to Coldfoot. We will end up where the bou are, but it looks like the headwaters of the Ivyshak is where we should end up. The further south the animals are the cheaper the flight. I hope the bou are holding Coldfoot hostage.

This will be my first fly-in caribou hunt and my wife and my father are along for the trip. My dad and I have always dreamed about hunting Alaska together since I was young. We are finally going to get 30 straight days of hunting and fishing in together. Only five days in the Brooks though. I hope my wife and Dad get a nice bou. If I get one well that is just icing on the cake.

If there is any tips or I wish I would have of..... feel free to send em my way. I believe I am about 100% ready, thanks to help from guys on the forum and friends.

Quote Originally Posted by BW71 View Post
    I will be driving up day after tomorrow from Fbks to Sag and have not read anything about the road conditions. BW
    North of the pass was pretty good. They are grading up around 278 mile and hauling a lot of fill into the area. So lots of trucks.

South of the pass has not changed much since last year excep the area that was under construction last year. They paved a lot of it this year and it is NICE!

STILL it is the Haul Road. Lots of BMW motorcycles, one bicyclist, family sedans and tourists with no idea what they are getting into.

Truckers were very nice overall. I try to slow down and pull as far over as I can and 99% of them respected that and did the same.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Fuel

Is the gas station at the Yukon still working. Does anyone know the hours it is open?
    Thanks

thanks dave. Cant wait to go. My uncle is up from the states for his first trip up that far with me. Should be pretty fun. Drive all the way up there for 'bou and then come back to fairbanks and pack up to go to Valdez for some fishin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mkay View Post
    Is the gas station at the Yukon still working. Does anyone know the hours it is open?
    Thanks
    3 or 4 weeks ago, there was no gasoline available at the Yukon. Down in Fox, or up in Coldfoot ...or bring jerry cans, are better bets. I don't know if the status has changed. They had diesel though.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    ...and tourists with no idea what they are getting into.
    I rescued two tourists today on my way back. A couple in their late 50's slid off the road 60 miles North of the Yukon River and busted out two windows, tweaked both passenger side doors so they wouldn't close, and punctured their gas tank. The man said they hit a pot hole and got flung off the road. They said several people promised to call a tow truck and the Troopers, but they ended up spending the night without heat, no suitable clothes, and plenty of wind blowing through their passenger compartment. I found them at 0600 and got them warm. I ended up giving them a ride back to Fairbanks so they could make arrangements for their rental, which they swear they were authorized to take up the Haul Road.

The moral of this story: Go prepared for any possibility. I'm sure most hunters will have the gear with them to survive, but if you're a tourist or sightseeing you need to bring food, water, closes, and simple spare parts for your vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Truckers were very nice overall. I try to slow down and pull as far over as I can and 99% of them respected that and did the same.
    I agree completely. After hearing horror stories of trucks going 90MPH and running you off the road, I am happy to report that I saw none of that. We always slowed down and gave them room. Most truckers waved back and were courteous drivers. A few even stopped and told us where they saw animals.