Thread: Public appology

Default Public appology

I feel I must do this for Teeland middle school.

Some background, I am a parent that believes that parents must raise a child and not the school system or society. I wear that on my sleeve. It is no one elses job but mine to make sure my kids contribute to society and not take from it. To make them honest, hard working, etc....

My appology is for jumping to conclusions. The represenative of the school that told my sons mother about the 10 day policy was speaking for herself and read the law to the letter. Still, I created a broohaha out of nothing. My son and his mother spoke with the vice principal and he assured them that family time like hunting trips were a priority at the school and they supported that 100%. He even requested moose sausage if we had the opportunity during our adventure.

Again I appologize to most of the faculty of Teeland Middle School. I still fear the future though.

Dan
    It is nice to know that there are "ALASKANS" out there, no matter where they live.

That' very honorable of you to apoligize regarding this issue. We need more men like you, with virtue and their willingness to raise their children to be contributing members of society, not to mention getting them out in the great outdoors as well. Best wishes for you and your "hunting partner" on your upcoming moose hunt!

Default Bravest thing I've seen in a while; Kudos.

By owning up to your mistake you've shown your kids the importance of responsibility and the honor in admitting that you were wrong. I would have never known about it if you hadn't said anything. If I could, I'd shake your hand, sir. Hat's off to you brother for being a real man, wer're a rare breed these days.

PS: I pray the best of luck and success on you and your boys' hunt.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Schools and bureaucracy can be pretty difficult to deal with; I used to run one for 20+ years. The faculty wanted at 10 day max absence policy and they got it. After watching it "work" or fail to work, it was dropped as being ineffective and harmful to kids. Unfortunately dropping it did little the right the previous 10 years of wrong! I am very pleased that your school was not so narrow minded as to fall into that trap! Good for them and good for the vice principal for correcting the misinterpertation.

Your statement is appropriate and illustrates an honorable man. Good luck to you, your kids and the school. J

Default Good and Sad at the Same Time....

GOOD - that your son is going hunting with you, just as I used to go with my Dad every Fall! And also good, that you acknowledged erroneously applying the individuals' response to the school system...

SAD - that it's such a rare thing these days to admit one is wrong, that we are all applauding you for doing what used to be more standard practice! Kudos to you all the same, it's a sad statement on modern society (one of the most developed and affluent societies in history to boot).

Great news, and I know he's as excited as I used to get before getting out into the wild to hunt moose! Best of luck for a safe and memorable hunt.

Michael

I am glad our school district has the policy straight enough that it allows for cultural leave to go hunting/fishing. Only thing is that I don't really like for my boys to miss out on school and other activities. I still take them out alot, I just don't use up all the days they are allowed to be out. They are at the top of their classes and enjoy school.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Default thanks

for letting us know the outcome and I am glad to see things worked out for the two of you to go hunting ... it sounds like your son has a pretty good role model (yourself of course) keep up the good work!
    Enjoy the hunt, good luck!

I dont know you and dont post here much ...being from Ontario canada and all but I have to say I have a great deal of respect for you after reading your post. Well done and your son is very lucky to have you as a dad and you are very lucky to be able to enjoy the outdoors with your son. He will learn so much more than they (the schools) could ever teach.

Default More Parents Like You

Hi,

Being a teacher I can say this: I wish there were more parents like you. I have seen my share of miscommunication over the years, but I have never had a parent do what you have done. Bravo!!!! Good Luck on the trip : ) My district schedules parents-teachers night on the opening day of deer season.

Ron

Father of 2,
    I will echo all the previous posts and add my own Thank You for being an example of integrity to your children and all of us who have read your post.

Stay safe and best wishes on a successful hunt.

Dobber

Default Good Luck

Thanks for the update. More important than the time you spend hunting with your son, are the values you instill in him. Enjoy your trip.

You the man its clear your son has a father he can be proud of.

Not much of a battle . ROCK ON!