Thread: repair shop

Default repair shop

I need help! I ran over my bike last year a little.........I know....how do you run over a bike a little? Anyway I'm in need of a good repair shop. I am not very bike savvy so I'm worried about getting ripped off. I know I'll need a new derailer, and maybe a new rim, and my frame is bent a little. It's a Gary Fisher Tassalahara so I don't want to just junk it. Please help!!

A couple of suggestions for you. First of all, I used to work at Sunshine Sports (on N. Lights, across from REI), and they typically have really good mechanics and are trustworthy. Also, I've heard nothing but good things about the Bicycle Shop on Northern Lights, on the other side of the street near Barney's. Either of those shops should do you right. Maybe take it to both places and get an estimate? That's the route I would take.

Talking

I know exactly "how you back over a bike a little".....doh!!!

I had to replace the crank, and they were able to true the wheel back into shape (I thought it was beyond repair). The rear triangle (full suspension) is bent a little which puts the rear cogset slightly out of line with the front. As a result I can't use the two gear above my Granny gear. Other than that all was fixed pretty easily and cheaply. It kind of annoying to not have those two gears, but it would cost $500 just to replace that rear triangle.

Take it in to one of the previously mentioned shops and see what they say. It might not be as bad as you think. Just be prepared for a good chuckle at your expense. (hehe)

I can relate to dumb bike moves, mine was forgetting I had my road bike on the roof rack, and driving into a parking garage that was under my apartment The car made out the worst with some nasty grooves on the roof as the forks popped off the rack and dove down into the roof (it was facing backwards), I had to have the forks straightened and a new headset fit.

As far as fitting a new derailer, and either truing the rim, or replacing it, that's pretty straightforward. While tweaked rims can be straightened, you'll end up with uneven tension on the spokes, and a wheel that could taco on you in the future. Building a new wheel is fairly labor intensive, and you'll need a new rim and spokes, but is the better route to go.

As far as straightening the frame, I'd suggest contacting Fisher. If it's a US built frame, they'll have the jigs at their shop, and would be the best equiped to straighten it as new. Shipping both ways and tearing it down to the frame would be a bit of a pain, but the route I'd consider.

Talking alright

Hey thanks you guys!!! Really appreciate the info!! A friend told me I should be able to true the rim, but we'll see. I'll let everyone know how turns out! (the wheel that is........I know very dumb pun)