Thread: Pinochle/Hicks Creek Trail

Default Pinochle/Hicks Creek Trail

Yesterday I headed up the Pinochle trail following Hicks creek. Made it through numerous mud bogs and conquered the hill that I have heard so much about. I actually didnt think the hill was that bad at all, it was dry though which is a contributing factor. There were also nermerous muddy areas along Hicks lake. I was riding solo so the 2 times that I got stuck were long ones, haha. Then I made it down a creek bed to what my gps showed was supposed to be Alfred creek trail. I saw a trail running parallel to the creek upstream to the west but nothing to the east. I was trying to get to the old mine about 5 miles east of where Pinochle trail intersects Alfred Trail. Any ideas on how else to get there or did I miss a turn somewhere out there?

Thumbs up

Hey Sheep Hunter 2000

I had always thought that was caribou creek but I could be wrong. If you look on your right around the lakes between the big hill and creek that Ts the trail and forces you to go left there is a trail that takes off uphill on the right. I have not been over a mile up the trail but I staulked a moose up there and it looks like it just keeps going and going.
    Thats is about the only trail that takes off to the right that I know of that looks like it goes far.

Happy Hunting!

After leaving Hicks Lake the rocky creek bed that you went down is Divide Creek and it empties into Caribou Creek. The trail goes up Caribou from there. To get to Alfred creek you are better off going to Gunsight and going over Belanger pass. Who did the old mine belong to that you were trying to get to there were a lot of old mines in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by BigSuBoater View Post
    Hey Sheep Hunter 2000

I had always thought that was caribou creek but I could be wrong. If you look on your right around the lakes between the big hill and creek that Ts the trail and forces you to go left there is a trail that takes off uphill on the right. I have not been over a mile up the trail but I staulked a moose up there and it looks like it just keeps going and going.
    Thats is about the only trail that takes off to the right that I know of that looks like it goes far.

Happy Hunting!
    I've only been up it one mile or so also. It's known as a trial up top to an old plane crash site (never verified this). I've taken the trail on the other side of the lake up to the top ( couple miles) great view of Caribou and you can see the mountains of Boulder and Chitna Pass. You can also see some mining equipment and a airstrip way up by where Chitna creek flows into Caribou Creek.

Quote Originally Posted by sheephunter2000 View Post
    Yesterday I headed up the Pinochle trail following Hicks creek. Made it through numerous mud bogs and conquered the hill that I have heard so much about. I actually didnt think the hill was that bad at all, it was dry though which is a contributing factor. There were also nermerous muddy areas along Hicks lake. I was riding solo so the 2 times that I got stuck were long ones, haha. Then I made it down a creek bed to what my gps showed was supposed to be Alfred creek trail. I saw a trail running parallel to the creek upstream to the west but nothing to the east. I was trying to get to the old mine about 5 miles east of where Pinochle trail intersects Alfred Trail. Any ideas on how else to get there or did I miss a turn somewhere out there?
    I must have missed you as I spent the night a half mile up Caribou from Divide Creek. We left camp and headed out around 2PM. You were right where you needed to be to get to the Alfred Creek trail from Pinchole Trail. You were just 3 months early and on the wrong type of machine. It's a "Winter Trail". An inflatable would work now also
    Like stated above probably the only way you're getting an atv to Alfred is over Belanger Pass.

Hey guys, thanks for the help! I was trying to get to the old mine with all the equipment scattered around. I believe a guy named "Bones" runs it. Theres an airstrip just acrossed from the mine. I wanted to check the strip out from the ground before flying into it. I made a few passes a few days ago but the light was wrong so I couldnt get any lower withough flying blind through the canyon on the way out!

BigSuBoater-I think I found the trail you are talking about on the way out and went down a little bit and realized which one it was. I had noticed on my map that it ends abruptly. From the air I saw that it deadends at a cliff going into I believe, Caribou creek.

Thanks again for the info guys, sounds like I may try going in on a different trail or going out in the plane again on a different time of day.

Default hicks creek trail

Question did you see any caribou in there? Twenty years ago we always went in there and got a caribou on opening morning. This year i did not get a permit, just curious. Chef

Chef- I kept an eye out for them but didnt see any. I found some fairly fresh tracks near caribou creek but no bou. I did however see a group of 75 to 100 ptarmigan, was able to get 3 of them with rocks and had them for lunch!

Has anyone been out on the Belanger pass trail recently, Im thinking about heading out that way soon, just curious?

Quote Originally Posted by chef viktor View Post
    Question did you see any caribou in there? Twenty years ago we always went in there and got a caribou on opening morning. This year i did not get a permit, just curious. Chef
    I think the boo use this area less than they used to. I didn't see any on sat or sunday. I met a lone sheephunter coming out and he had been in there for 5 days up at Chitna Creek and only seen 2 bou way up on a mountain in those 5 days.

I did a touch and go on the airstrip that I think you are talking about with my ultralight aircraft about a week ago. It was the place where there is a cabin near the airstrip. It is several miles down the Caribou creek from divide creek and on the South side of Caribou. anyway I had no trouble touching down there and lifting off again but I only fly at 26 miles an hour so don't know how that would translate into general aircraft usage for that airstrip.

Mountain Joe

Thanks for the info on the strip. How was the surface, any big rocks that you spotted? I usually only need about 600 ft to be comfortable but at that altitude I was looking for more like 1200 ft.

No I didn't notice any big rocks on the strip. As far as length, boy, I really would hate to make a guess. I only need about 150 feet to take off solo and I know that there was WAY more than I would need. Seemed like there was some trees at the west end of strip (upriver) that would shorten the usable length of the strip. If I remember right the East end was open ended . I flew in from the East and touched down about mid strip and still had enough strip to climb back up and clear the trees at the West end.