Thread: Last minute question RE:Hay Flats

Default Last minute question RE:Hay Flats

I'm gonna walk out into the Palmer Hay Flats tomorrow a.m. in search of a tasty spike/fork. I've been under the impression that you can use rifle down there. A Wildlife Trooper told me yesterday that "yes", you can use rifle. Then the same day, a retired F&G guy told me that it is shotgun only. Anybody want to put their .02 in? I'm ready to head down there with my rifle, but don't want to be illegal. I've only got 2 slugs for the shotgun (probably all I'll need).
    Thanks again,
    Johnny

You are fine with a rifle. The retired guy probably thought you were going to be in the Palmer/Wasilla restricted area (bow, muzzleloader, shotgun only). Double check the regs and see where the boundary extends to, but I'm 99% sure it doesn't get out onto the flats.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Boundary

Thanks Mud,
    The regs state that it is a line roughly to the Parks/Glenn interchange as the Southern Boundary of the Palmer/Wasilla Mgmt Area. I couldn't find anything else but that F&G guy had me nervous.
    Thanks again
    Johnny

Default Knik

If you're planning on hunting around Knik plan on walking quite a ways in chest waders. There's a sign that reads "No Shooting Within 1/4 Mile Of The Road".

I was just there an hour ago scoping out the same thing. I drove up to, what looked like, a SuperCub invasion... there were more planes buzzing around than mosquitos. Good luck and be careful.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Default Robb

I was going to go off the West side of the road. I was gonna go about a 1/4 mile back through the brush and just scout around. Haven't been off the west side at all, although I did head out the East side (Palmer) side of the road last year and it was Ok. A little muddy. I skydived over that area yesterday and looks like a coupla stands of trees at least 1/4 mile from the road. Hopefully not too wet, cuz I was only gonna bring hip waders. Any info on the West side of the road that you're willing to share? Maybe I'll see you there,
    Thanks,
    Johnny

Default None.

Don't have any info for the west side, the last time I really spent any foot time out there was when I was a kid and did some target shooting (don't want to disclose how many years ago it was but it can be measured by the fact I was listening to 8 Track cassettes on the way there in my uncle's 76' Pontiac Road Runner ).
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Quote Originally Posted by Back Country Robb View Post
    ..... (don't want to disclose how many years ago it was but it can be measured by the fact I was listening to 8 Track cassettes on the way there in my uncle's 76' Pontiac Road Runner ).
    Yeah, that muzzle loader target practice takes a while between shots
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Very Funny.

Ha Ha!

It was a musket *LOL*