Thread: Risky Boat Load

Default Risky Boat Load

I am thinking about loading a 900lb Polaris 6 wheeler in the bow of my 21 ft extreme shallow (200HP Optimax). It is rated for 8 people or 1375 pounds. The only way to load it is in the bow. The ATV is just under 9 ft and all I have from bow to console is 9ft. I can get it in there but a little worried about how she will handle. Anyone try something like this?

Take it for a test run on a lake to see how it handles. I saw the video of the Phantom Sport Jon with a Suzuki sidekick and 4-5 adults in it going upstream in a decent size river.... I don't know how yours compares, but I'm sure the sidekick weighs more than the 6x6.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I have an XS. It will handle it fine. Some ballast in the rear would help with handling, but depending on how far you're going I wouldn't say it is necessary. I have had about 600lbs (my 4wheeler) in the bow, but not as far forward as your weight will be. I've had that in there with nothing in the rear and it did just fine. It wants to bite in sooner on corners, but that's to be expected.

The weight ratings on those guys are very conservative. I've had 3500lbs in there with no problems.

The hardest part is seeing around/over the rig in the bow.

Cheers

Default You Interior guys...

have all the fun.

Default positioning

To keep the weight as far a stern as you can, I would nose the front of the wheeler up against your windshield since the machines are nose heavy anyway. It might help in keeping the weight more centered.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

As a owner of one, I agree with FarmerGrant. We had approx. 2700lbs on mine two weekends ago. One of my river running buds was with and coudln't believe that it got up on step as easy as it does loaded heavy. Gotta love them XS's.

Thanks .. to all of you. I am going to go for it, but will be careful.

Default Let us know

You should be fine. I am going to run my six wheeler into my phantom 20-06 to see how it runs. I wouldn't worry about it at all as I just had 4 guys, a raft, motor, all the gear and 65 gallons of gas in the boat and it hopped up on step and made it through some very shallow water without a hitch. I love the room the phantom has for running atv's into the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerGrant View Post
    I have an XS. It will handle it fine. Some ballast in the rear would help with handling, but depending on how far you're going I wouldn't say it is necessary.
    Yeah what he said. No problem.......