Thread: What food to take on long hunts

Default What food to take on long hunts

OK all you backwoods Chefs here is my question. What do you pack on lets say a 2 week hunting trip. We would be using 2 boats, 4 men and so weight is an issue when factoring gas and gear. I was thinking staples like Rice, spuds, Cow in a can, Tortillas, things that wont spoil so fast. Always open to ideas. Lets hear it.

Default Grub

Me and my buddy have been hunting together since 99. Moose camp as well as sheep camp we will make meals like "Hamberger Helper" and other boxed meals. We then vaccum seal them in individual size portions and freeze them. Then when we leave we put everything on ice and 4-wheel it out to camp. Then once the ice starts to melt we put it in the cold as hell stream. When we are ready to eat one we put it in our pan with boiling water and eat it out of the bag. The only dirty item is your silverware. Wipe it off with a baby wipe and your good to go. If your "Bou" hunting on the Haul road in late season, you wont have to worry about keeping it cool. Ma nature does that for ya. My 2 pence. Don

Don,
    Great Idea to be sure, Thank you for your idea. I learned years ago that rookies worry about strategy and professionals worry about logistics. just my extra 2 cents in the " where do we go kill a moose real fast.

Default We eat like kings

During our annual Yukon Safari I will put approx 50 hours on the boat. It is over 15 hours just to get to camp. We will run 2 boats this year with 4 guys and all the gear necessary to be comfortable. That includes a 14x16 wall tent, full kitchen, 2 coleman style stoves, a wood stove, chairs, and 2 lanterns. We sleep in separate 3 or 4 man tents so there is room for cots and to stand up to pull pants on in the morning.
    We eat things like Champagne chicken, Grilled Brats or Kielbasa, Spaghetti, Stew, full breakfasts of eggs, bacon, hot cakes, and the list goes on. Fresh fruit is a must, and the coffee is always fresh ground french roast.
    It was all a well kept secret until one year the wives decided they were going to meet us out there. Now they know we don't rough it.
    If I had to eat frozen meals I might make my partners all go on diets so I could still bring the real goods! But that is not a bad idea. My wife loves to cook, and if we ever decided not to go whole hog in camp I would have her start cooking, baking, and freezing weeks in advance. For us, the cooking is part of the comraderie and socializing, so as long as the guys all want to share the load, that's the way we do it.
    I forgot to mention the fresh bisquits in the dutch oven. Mmmmm that is a smell a guy just can't forget.

The old standby, Spam

Default Weight

We (3 of us) do quite a bit of float hunting. When weight is a problem we pack Lipton's sides, packets of oatmeal for breakfast, instant potatoes. Eveerything that comes in boxes is repacked in zip-lock bags which we can re-use.

Canned ham is a luxury we usually carry as well as bagels for bread. Sunkist semi-dry prunes are a necessity for me (keeps me regular). Instant coffee, tea, & dry drink mixes, for liquids. Nothing to worry about if we don't have refrigeration or nothing to smell if there are lots of bears.

Default Smell

Hell if my hunting dog can smell the track laid my a running pheasant what makes you think a bear can't smell the faintness of prunes wafting in the air. They live and die by their nose.
    Never underestimate that.

I'll keep my ziplocks outside the tent, thank you very much. I'll even hang them in a dry bag and hoist them up as high as possible.

But back on the subject, I like to take a few beers along too. NOT FROZEN.

I like to utilize high energy portable food for mid day. Your choice of energy bar here. I like Belly timber and Pemican bars. I do alot of goat and alpine deer hunting so I use mountain house stuff for that.

4 guys in two boats, what kind of boats? Rafts, Canoe's, Jon, Imboards? On a 2 week hunt you have to eat good. No matter how we do it, if it's more then a week this is what we pack. Rib eye steaks, whole fryer chicken, a Ham, Eggs, Sausage links, 10lbs spuds, onions, peppers, squash, the mixins for home made cinimmin rolls. You get the idea, EAT GOOD+SLEEP GOOD=HUNT GOOD. We pre marinaide every thing then vacum seal and freeze. Pack everything tightly in a cooler, start eating the first thing that thaws out. Usually 7-8 days worth of good food, then we switch to Mountain house freeze dried. Nothing like fresh made cinimmin rolls on a cold day with coffee.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AKDSLDOG; 08-20-2007 at 12:15. Reason: add pic

steak and potatoes, breckfast sausage, burger, cans of chili, pork and beans, lots of cheese pilot bread, normal bread, mac and cheese, hot dogs basically what I'd eat at home only better. If you have a boat why not? If its on my back than its dehydrated stew, oatmeal and mres
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Eat like kings?

If you need a fifth king, let me know.

I already have a pork roast with all the fixins bagged up and frozen, as well as a couple of the roasted chickens that can be purchased at the store. I just throw them in a large pan with a lid and heat through for a delicious and easy meal. Another pre-made at home meal that can be frozen is sausage gravy, YUM!! I like spooning over bagel chunks for breakfast. I like bagels as they are hearty and are good for any meal. run a stick through it and toast over an open flame works well for breakfast too. Spaghetti or other noodles with sauce bagged up and frozen is another favorite. Of course, bring mountain house or something for the spike camps away from base.

Ziploc Freezer bags works for just about any food that comes in a large container or purchased bulk (i.e. oatmeal, flour, dried potatoes) and can be resealed.

Packing food this way works well if weight is not too much of an issue and can be kept in a cooler. Not too much need for ice if packed this way. I have found that bringing canned soups and stews does not hurt either and can be brought back home for the next camp if not used. Don't forget the salt and pepper!

BW

Steaks, burgers, lots of bacon and potatoes and eggs. I dont go hunting to eat but I will be **** if I am going to eat that **** you rehydrate.
    I will gladly pay more money to fly in the food. Life is to short to be to cheap.
    Ak Powder monkey is my kinda hunting partner!
    Tennessee

we are running the Tanana in 16ft. jets. Mine with a 75hp and his with the Honda 90hp. each with another man plus gear and fuel going about 20miles from launch. I am just a bit concerned about the weight and runnning a river I have not done yet. thus the querry about what you other folks take for food. and some **** good suggestions I might add. thank you one and all. Jeff