Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Time of year v. quality of bear meat?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Knik-Fairview, Alaska
    Posts
    927

    Default Time of year v. quality of bear meat?

    Never gone bear hunting before, but someone at work said they're nasty if you take them at the wrong time of the year. I see that most of the photos in the sticky are in April/May. Is there a time of year to avoid bear because of poor meat quality? Or, is there a time when they are better? Is it a location thing ...coastal bear fattening up on Fall fish is bad for meat flavor, but Interior berry eating bears are good? Or what? Eddy-cate me...

    Thanks,
    Brian

  2. #2
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,392

    Default

    Location is far more important that time of year. If you can get a blackie up in the mountains away from salmon streams, chances are that he'll be really tasty. In coastal areas spring bears are certainly better, but if you head high you should get some good eating bear meat.

  3. #3
    Member ak_powder_monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Eagle River/ Juneau
    Posts
    5,154

    Default

    I've heard stories of bears making your mouth turn blue from all the blueberrys they have been eating, sounds good to me...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

  4. #4
    Member Rick P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer Alaska
    Posts
    2,339

    Default

    Agreed location is more important than time of year but even a "nasty" tasting Bear will make decent sausage.

  5. #5

    Default

    Couple of guys here in delta swear by the grain/berry fed grizzlies
    Can't confirm that though

  6. #6
    Member chrisWillh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    124

    Default

    Anyone have experience with blacks taken around the middle of 13A in the September? I'd like to try for a black, but not sure if I will like the meat or not. I've heard both good and bad, but never about particular spots, just seasons. I've also never had a chance to taste bear meat, good or bad.
    Chris Willhoite

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Knik-Fairview, Alaska
    Posts
    927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chrisWillh View Post
    Anyone have experience with blacks taken around the middle of 13A in the September? I'd like to try for a black, but not sure if I will like the meat or not. I've heard both good and bad, but never about particular spots, just seasons. I've also never had a chance to taste bear meat, good or bad.
    The only bear that I've eaten was taken in Oregon, and the meat was just fine ...it was a black bear and the meat reminded me a lot of beef. I went hunting with a friend up the Little Su for blackies a long time ago (bow hunting) and he got one, but I never had a chance to sample it.

    Brian

  8. #8
    New member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,416

    Default

    Blueberry bears are great. My buddie shot a little one few years ago in a berry patch and man it was like eating sweet tasty pork! I have never tried a fish bear but I am told they aren't as good.

    Another friend (AlaskaCub) gave me some of his and his sons bear they got this spring. Great sausage. I have been told that spring bears don't have as much fat in the meat. Makes sense to me for obvious reasons.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Knik-Fairview, Alaska
    Posts
    927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Blueberry bears are great. My buddie shot a little one few years ago in a berry patch and man it was like eating sweet tasty pork! I have never tried a fish bear but I am told they aren't as good.

    Another friend (AlaskaCub) gave me some of his and his sons bear they got this spring. Great sausage. I have been told that spring bears don't have as much fat in the meat. Makes sense to me for obvious reasons.
    Thanks. Sounds like the Interior bears should be better than coastal bears, and Fall bears better than Spring. Yer jus' makin' me hungrier ya know...

    Brian

  10. #10
    Member ak_powder_monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Eagle River/ Juneau
    Posts
    5,154

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by MCAT View Post
    Couple of guys here in delta swear by the grain/berry fed grizzlies
    Can't confirm that though
    Having eaten interior grizz summer sausage, I'll deny that, grain fed though... Hmmm
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

  11. #11

    Default

    I agree it depends on what they are eating AND HOW WELL YOU TAKE CARE OF THE MEAT. If you do not take care of it properly it can have a tangy tast if you let the fat get too warm (it becomes very slimy)

    I like SNYD have shot a berry bear and you could actually taste the sweetness. I even rendered down some of the fat to make lard and it had a nice sweet taste to it.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •