Thread: First Hunt in Alaska

Default First Hunt in Alaska

This will be my first hunt in Ak. I am going with my brother that lives there. We will be hunting for caribou off the Hual Rd . But we are going to try to put his boat in the river to get outside of the 5 mile corador. Just in case the river is to low we are bring our bows to hunt with also. I have taken a couple of nice black bears with my bow in Saskatchewan Canada but have never tried for a caribou before. Any and all advice will be helpfull.
    Since I am from the South along the Gulf CVoast we do not see many caribou exsept in a zoo. Plenty of White Tail deer to chase with a bow or gun.
    I should be in Alaska by Monday night . I know this is the last minuent but every little bit of info helps.

Relax and injoy your time in Alaska. Don't rush and be safe. Your going to have the time of your life.

Question

i assume you have an IBEP cert?
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Yes I do have a IBEP card. I got it this past June in Alabama. It is not required here in Mississippi so I had a trime finding somewhere close where I could take the field test.

Default range estimation

It is wide open country and there is little to help judge size or distance. Every place you go practice range estimation. Whether you have a range finder or not it may help if you find yourself in a situation without a lot of time to make choices.
    FYI, there is no wood for campfires, so either take it with or take an oil heater. It has not been cold, but can turn that way quickly.
    And take lots and lots of photos. you won't be sorry. The folks back home just will not believe everything you tell them.
    Good luck and have fun.