Thread: Any Luck this weekend

Question Any Luck this weekend

I drove three raod systems around the Fairbanks area two areas in the A.M. and one in the P.M. I saw everthing but Grouse. I do not know if the warm weather is effecting them. Anyone else have any luck?

Ron

Molly and I saw two and shot one yesterday. First bird of the season. I hope to get a couple more after my morning moose hunt tomorrow so we can have a nice dinner.
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

got one earlier today. Only cost me about $182 per lb. I figure.

Nuthin...

Jon

Default We are having grouse fajitas tonight

I took the 7 yr. old boy out Sunday morning. Our actual first hunting trip together. No one else in the family would get out of bed. I had the wife's youth model 20 guage and the little man had his trusty pellet gun with his new scope on it. The day started off with no grouse sightings for three hours. We hit 4 of my "There is always grouse in these patches of brush," and nothing. We walked about 4 miles of brush total and not one complaint from the lil man. He did ask if he could shoot every tweety bird that flew by us. It made me smile every time he asked and he recieved the same reply every time he asked: "Are you going to eat that tweety bird?" When we got back in the truck the lil man was making comments like "Dad are their really grouse around here?" I said well let's drive down this road and see what is down here I had never been all the way down #*&^% road and we hit the end and on our way back it was grouse galore, right where we had just driven a few minutes earlier.

I explained to the lil man about it being illegal to shoot the birds on the road and we walked up to the birds and pushed them in the brush. The lil man shot the grouse on the ground and I shot the ones flying up. The Lil man is a crack with that pellet gun. He was dropping the grouse with one shot to the head--off hand. We ended up with seven birds total. It takes five grouse for fajitas for the family, so I have a good start on our next fajita night.

Default no luck for me either

i would be out getting some but im at tech school. well good luck. alcanron is known to get some good ones.
    You cant have bait without a bait boy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AFHunter View Post
    <snip>I said well let's drive down this road and see what is down here I had never been all the way down #*&^% road and we hit the end and on our way back it was grouse galore, right where we had just driven a few minutes earlier.
    <snip> We ended up with seven birds total. It takes five grouse for fajitas for the family, so I have a good start on our next fajita night.
    The birds are changing in habit right now. They are roosting earlier and getting up later. In one of my "this place has tons of grouse" spots, we saw nothing going in at sunrise, putzed around down in the muskeg at the bottom end for awhile, then slowly worked our way back out (it's a 4-wheeler trail.) We saw absolutely nothing going in. On the way out, we flushed 2 spruce hens and got one. Went back that afternoon and flushed 10 ruffies (got 4) and zero spruce hens. By the time we were getting out, it was starting to darken but the birds were already in the trees... earlier than the weekend before (relative to the sun that is.) Same thing in the morning ...a week or so ago, plenty of birds at sunrise or shortly after ...but this weekend, zippo nadda. There're in there, but they're changing habits. I'm voting for early to late afternoon right now as being the best time to be out (Fairbanks area.) Their gizzards are busting with cranberries too ...like a bag of marbles. Should be good!

Brian