Thread: 18' Catarafts

Default 18' Catarafts

After reading all the posts on Rafts vs Catarafts, I have decided on buying a 18' cataraft. I would like to be able to use a small outboard. One last question. NRS 18' Kodiak CAt vs Aire 18' Leopard? Thanks for all the help.

Randy

Thumbs up Tips on Catarafts

Quote Originally Posted by txguide View Post
    After reading all the posts on Rafts vs Catarafts, I have decided on buying a 18' cataraft. I would like to be able to use a small outboard. One last question. NRS 18' Kodiak CAt vs Aire 18' Leopard? Thanks for all the help.

Randy
    Hello Randy,

I just wrote a piece that addresses this very issue. Check it out in a brand-new area of this website AT THIS LINK. In short, the Leopard will perform MUCH better with an outboard than the NRS Grizzly Cat.

Hope it helps!

-mike
    Last edited by Michael Strahan; 08-20-2007 at 10:18.
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Mike, that seems to be the wrong link. It points to an article on hunting. Perhaps you mean this link.

http://wiki.outdoorsdirectory.com/wi...3dfdfc77f67b48

Default Thanks, Jim!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Strutz View Post
    Mike, that seems to be the wrong link. It points to an article on hunting. Perhaps you mean this link.

http://wiki.outdoorsdirectory.com/wi...3dfdfc77f67b48
    Jim,

Right you are! Right after I wrote the Float Hunting article, I spoke to David and we decided to move it into its own category on a separate page. I will update the link in my post to reflect the change.

Please feel free to add or change the material I wrote as you see fit.

Thanks for the heads-up!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

Randy,

I have an Aire Leopard, and run a 25 horse Tohatsu on it. I've taken it out of Homer to halibut fish, dipnet with it, and float it from Cooper Landing to Skilak Lake. I haven't checked it this year, but with two people, I believe I was getting around 12 to 13 mph on the GPS, in Big Lake. I'd rather check that one more time before stating it as fact. I originally bought the Tohatsu to put on a 13'2" Achilles, which really moved. I get it up on the step, and it stays there, but a few more HP's would definitely make a difference. I believe I am going to spend that money on an Aire Traveler, though.

I bought it from AK Raft and Kayak, and it has the removable transcom. It works great. If you have any questions, you can PM me.

Mike

Default Running your outboard on an AIRE Leopard

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Randy,

I have an Aire Leopard, and run a 25 horse Tohatsu on it. I've taken it out of Homer to halibut fish, dipnet with it, and float it from Cooper Landing to Skilak Lake. I haven't checked it this year, but with two people, I believe I was getting around 12 to 13 mph on the GPS, in Big Lake. I'd rather check that one more time before stating it as fact. I originally bought the Tohatsu to put on a 13'2" Achilles, which really moved. I get it up on the step, and it stays there, but a few more HP's would definitely make a difference. I believe I am going to spend that money on an Aire Traveler, though.

I bought it from AK Raft and Kayak, and it has the removable transcom. It works great. If you have any questions, you can PM me.

Mike
    Hi Mike,

Just curious how you are controlling the spray from the tubes' wake while you're on step. Are you getting much splash? This has beeh a chronic problem on some catarafts.

-Mike

Hey Mike,

I have the spray shield that AK Raft and Kayak sells. It works great. No wake between the tubes. I have three 3/4" Rhino covered pieces of plywood strapped to the floor/frame. Just like being in a boat. I get some water circulating around the very end of the raft, depending on the amount of nose up attitude, but that isn't a problem.

I have done floats with the spray shield, and without the plywood, and it also worked well. If I did a float where weight was a concern, I would leave the cargo flooring attached, and remove the spray shield, and of course the boards.

Mike

I think I have attached a picture of my Leopard where you can see some of the spray shield, along with the old floor boards. Hopefully I did it right.

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sorry, right procedure, wrong picture. This should do it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default 18' Catarafts

Thanks everyone for all of the information. My wife and I will be coming up for the sportsman's show this spring and hope to buy all the toys we will need for our 4 month stay next summer.

Thanks Randy

Default Cataraft Motor

Mike & Mike

One more question. Do they make small jet outboards and if so would this be better than a prop?

Thanks Again, Randy

Default Jet

I just read that it takes a bigger motor to get the same HP from a Jet that you would get from a prop. I quess the extra weight would kill this idea?

I do not know my Cat Rafts very well but last summer we were floating the Little WIllow and a guy came down river in a pretty good size cat for that river with a jet on it and he was flying.

I am looking to buy a round boat but seeing the set up that guy had makes me think twice as it was pretty slick.

Default Jet Cats

Quote Originally Posted by txguide View Post
    I just read that it takes a bigger motor to get the same HP from a Jet that you would get from a prop. I quess the extra weight would kill this idea?
    TX,

You're gonna lose about 40% of your power switching from a prop to a jet.

-Mike

Default cats

Quote Originally Posted by 375ultramag View Post
    I do not know my Cat Rafts very well but last summer we were floating the Little WIllow and a guy came down river in a pretty good size cat for that river with a jet on it and he was flying.

I am looking to buy a round boat but seeing the set up that guy had makes me think twice as it was pretty slick.

You'd do well to shop for a used AIRE cataraft. I know I keep banging the AIRE drum, but their tubes are superior to the NRS tubes for running with power. The gradual bow transition is what you want; the others plow like a barge. An 18' Leopard cataraft is about as close to an "everything" boat for Alaska as you'll find. You can use it for PWS black bear, halibut fishing, salmon trolling off Deep Creek, float hunting all across the state, flyout trips, and on and on. I keep mine on a trailer all summer and float the upper Kenai frequently. With the right rigging, you have an 18' power boat that fits into an airplane! It's a modular system that you can add to or take away from, depending on what you're doing. Very versatile.

-Mike