Thread: Whittier Halibut?

Default Whittier Halibut?

At the risk of sounding like a boob I need to ask. I'm 0 for 3 for halibut out of Whittier, I'm not looking for some secret hole or lat/longs just some advice on picking up some chickens. Structure/bottom and any general information that might be helpful. Many thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,
    BB767

I saw a cool lesson about halibut at the sportsmans show this spring that showed halibut near large uprisings in the seafloor. Look for some "Underwater hills" And try fishing next to them... Also A good tip we picked up was to zoom your fish finder in on the bottom of the ocean So you can see in detail whats down there.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishwhacker View Post
    Also A good tip we picked up was to zoom your fish finder in on the bottom of the ocean So you can see in detail whats down there.
    Never thought about that! I will have to try it. It was cool this last weekend seeing the ball of herring on the fish finder, then all of a sudden the poles went crazy!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default Whittier Fish

I think the most important thing about fishing Whittier is to go in knowing the following: The halibut fishing in Whittier is very slow compared to any of the other ports that have halibut. Ever check the amount of charters out of Whittier versus the other ports? There is a reason. That said, the fishing is OK and the weather generally cooperates which is why it is so popular with the Anchorage crowd, myself included.

On Saturday we caught 12 silvers, 8 halibut, and 3 yellow eye. The key out there is patience. We sat in the same spot for 7 hours for those fish. If you aren't getting bites for halibut be patient, once the scent starts running they will come.

A few tips (I am by no means an expert). Fish 2 hours before and after high tide. Scent the heck out of your bait. Fish at least 300# of water near any contours. Be willing to run at least 40 miles for fish.

This year the halibut fishing has been the worst I have seen in years out of Whittier.

Hope that helps.

Default Thanks

Many thanks for all the advise, I think I'll run out to Knight or Montague and give it a (patient) try. I have a relative and friend that will be here tonight and will spend a week out on the water with me, hopefully we'll find where they're hiding.

BB