Thread: Roadkill Moose questions

Default Roadkill Moose questions

What happens to roadkill moose in the Anchorage area ? In Fairbanks when I was there in the early 90s the Troopers would contact one of the local Churchs, churchmembers would be involved in butchering and distributing the moose meat to needy families. I know of some needy families in the Anchorage area that would probably appreciate being added to the recipients list, for future distribution. Thanks

Default list

you actually have to sign up on a "road kill" list. there are certain requirements to get on the list, but i'm not sure what they are.

Seems I recall reading a newspaper article several months ago about this. I think in the Anchorage area there's a group of volunteers that get called to go quarter / remove the moose from the road side and deliver all the meat to several food kitchens in the area.

Shearej is right on that no more road kill list, Trooper gets tenderloins,volunteers get the next pick and everything else goes to food kitchens at least thats the way it works in the Talkeetna area......:)
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Mark

There are two lists. Registered food banks get the moose deemed edible by the Troopers, then the real messes go to trappers on a different list. I'm on the trapper's list, and I've gotten calls every winter (except this one, so far).

The church I go to is on the list, and there is a group of volunteers that goes out to salvage the moose (I'm on it, but haven't yet been called). The meat is then given to those in the congregation or in the community who need it.

LOL Roger... I don't think I've ever seen a trooper even get out of the car on a highway killed moose ;)

One got it's back legs broken last night right here by the store. No troopers within a couple hours so they asked me to finish it off. It's amazing how far one can get with only it's front legs. I popped it in the head a couple times with my 30-06 and left in the woods just off the bike path. It was cleaned up within an hour by whoever the troopers called.

WHAT !!!!! You did not get the Bobcat and carry into the shop...:)

Yep I hear what you say, The last year they let us get the road kills. The snowplow man hit one in my driveway "DEAD COLD" I called the Trooper and told them I was on the list and it was dead. They said sure But we have to send a trooper Over to make sure ???
    Last edited by Webmaster; 02-17-2008 at 21:30. Reason: Negative comments about individuals / organizations not permitted
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!