Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woolridge vs Northriver? Pros/Cons

Default Woolridge vs Northriver? Pros/Cons

I currently own a 17'5" NR Bayhawk but will be selling it soon to purchase a larger boat. I am impressed with the Northriver quality but am looking for something with a cuddy or hardtop and the Woolridge's caught my eye recently, again. Not that the Northriver Offshore is not a sweet boat, it's just kinda pricy for me and the 21' Woolridge supersport is more in my range. Anyone have any pros or cons to help push me one way or another. Price is kinda a determining factor, but if the right deal comes along, who knows. I just dont know much about the Woolridge product and would appreciate some feedback from some owners or users.

Thanks in advance.

Default Take a look at Sportsdrifter's boat in the Want Ads...

quality boat with a hard top, almost new and you could run the salt and the rivers. Wooldridge stands behind their products and with dealer representation in Alaska, if you do need something fixed, they can arrange it.
    Forum Link: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ght=wooldridge
    SeaUlater

Thanks for the link, I had seen it already but I am looking for a little more freeboard and a lot more range. That is a screaming deal though. The other one he is selling is SWEET and is more along the lines of what I am looking at, but it's just a tad out of my price range.

Default North River Rocks!

I own a 22ft NR Seahawk and couldn't be happier. I compared all the others before I bought and no one comes close to the build quality. I crawled around the bilge/hull area of many different boats and if you look at weld quality etc. there is really only one choice in an aluminum hull, IMO.
    Mine is salt only and it rides like it's bigger than it is,which is sweet, but still not as nice as a fiberglass hull. The Seahawk O/S is nice but I like being able to walk-thru the front windshield so the regular Seahawk works for me. You said you wanted a cuddy cabin so the Seahawk O/S is closer to your needs. The Seahawk has a lifetime hull warranty vs Seahawk O/S 5yrs. The only fiberglass boat that offers the same(that I know of) is the Olympic and fiberglass is more upkeep.
    If you have additional questions I would be happy to answer them. Just let me know.

E45Colt

I do agree with you, wholeheartedly. I am inclined to go with the North River again, currently looking at the 21/22 Seahawk, given the quality of the Bayhawk I currently own. Awesome boats and well worth the money, but the Bayhawk is "shrinking" on me by the day. I was under the impression that matter could neither be created or destroyed only change state, but the area on my boat is quickly dissolving if you know what I mean. I would really like a cuddy, or partially enclosed cabin, thats why I was looking into the 21' wooldridge deep water, but that Seahawk O/S is a **** fine boat.

Thumbs up i own a wooldridge and love it

I own the sport, and love it, more of a river boat than a big water boat, but I did the seward silver derby no problem. In all, I don't think you could go wrong with either one, just figure out which setup you like better.

Default Wooldridge Deep Water

Quote Originally Posted by epw View Post
    I currently own a 17'5" NR Bayhawk but will be selling it soon to purchase a larger boat. I am impressed with the Northriver quality but am looking for something with a cuddy or hardtop and the Woolridge's caught my eye recently, again. Not that the Northriver Offshore is not a sweet boat, it's just kinda pricy for me and the 21' Woolridge supersport is more in my range. Anyone have any pros or cons to help push me one way or another. Price is kinda a determining factor, but if the right deal comes along, who knows. I just dont know much about the Woolridge product and would appreciate some feedback from some owners or users.

Thanks in advance.
    You should check out other Wooldridge dealers out of state there are some very good deals now that it is late in the season. Check out West Coast marine in Seattle "Snowwolfe" bought his new AK II there, they have a 23ft Super Sport pilot new style with the higher sides and more inside room for $75,000.00. Coos Bay marine in Oregon had a new 21 Deep Water with a hard top and single Honda for $43,000.00 I think.

The 23 Super Sport Pilot that I have on the site is a great boat 5.5- 6 gph with the Yamahs. This is a GREAT DEAL the owner will deal some on the price, the boat has no hull damage, inside the boat still looks like new, this boat was in Afognak and was used for personal fishing trips after work he could go fishing everyday if he chose. This boat was kept in the water, this is why it has $2,500.00 of bottom paint on it.

Full of fuel and 3 guys and gear you can cruse at 3500 at 26mph and 4100 is 30mph wot is 5300 45+mph. This boat has all the same features as the Deep Water series but with the pilot style windows 18deg in the stern and 40 in the bow, it will get up on one engine 1/2 tank of fuel and 3 guys and run 25 mph at 4300rpm.

Default Wooldridge

North River and Wooldridge use completely different style of building methods, Wooldridge uses the stringer style 5-7 in each boat 2" to 4" wide t 6061 depending on style of boat, and NR uses box stringer style 2 in the boat one on each side of the fuel tank, they give you a 1/4 bottom to compensate for the box stringers.

Wooldridge is a custom builder that can build what you want in a boat and NR is a production builder they crank out over 1300 a year and WB builds 175 or so. The easiest way to keep the price down on a boat is to cut out labor so the box style is used by many boat builders now days. I'm sure there are many boat owners that have never seen what is under their boats floor boards. Wooldridge has a lifetime warranty on all the boats they build no matter where they are used, river or salt. I have spent some time in the Deep Water series as well as the new Pilot style they are building now, they can give you more free board and more storage inside the boat at a cheaper price with the new Super Sport pilot models they are currently building. With the last two offshore boats I have ben around they seem to plane easier than others, the new 27 that was on the forum being built is getting 6.75-7.25 gph depending on how rough the seas were on the trips with twin Yamaha 115.

Drop a line to SeaULater he has looked at this boat and many other Wooldridges and Kaiserosei has a new 23 SSP, I have had 3 wooldridges and would highley recomend them to anyone.

Default Thicker means stiffer

"North River and Wooldridge use completely different style of building methods, Wooldridge uses the stringer style 5-7 in each boat 2" to 4" wide t 6061 depending on style of boat, and NR uses box stringer style 2 in the boat one on each side of the fuel tank, they give you a 1/4 bottom to compensate for the box stringers. "

North River doesn't "give" a 1/4in bottom. A boat is built from the keel up not the otherway. The thicker bottom is stiffer so flexes less.
    If someone went to Marita Sea & Ski they could compare side by side North River and Wooldrige build style and quality and pick the best boat for them and their needs.
    There is more to it than number of stringers (size, position, weld quality etc.). You can also look at weight as another of many factors to help you decide. (If memory serves) My 22ft NR Seahawk soft-top weighs about the same as the 24ft Hewescraft hardtop. Heavier-duty construction IMO. I also have the self bailing wet deck so that adds weight and structure.
    Wooldrige are good boats but for me there was really only one choice after side-by-side comparison.

Ed
    Last edited by e45colt; 08-21-2007 at 04:45. Reason: spelling

Default Wooldridge

NR uses box stringer style 2 in the boat one on each side of the fuel tank, they give you a 1/4 bottom to compensate for the box stringers.

The phrase "give you" referred to NR coming standard with the 1/4 bottom, WB uses a 3/16 as standard with the 1/4 as an option. Here are a few pics of WB hull construction. 1st is a link to an offshore model and 2 pics of an inboard hull.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ght=wooldridge

Default Ditto Todd

I do have the SSP 23 and have had the 2006 26' Hewes Alaskan, 2006 26' NR Seahawk OS and the 1997 24 Osprey Long Cabin. The Wooley is so far my favorite as it has all the amenities, fuel efficiency and the economy that I was seeking. It is also very stable at rest and does well in chops and seas in Alaska. I do not go out if the seas are over 6' as a rule but I do go out often on trips that are 150 miles plus during my many day trips out of PWS. The Wooley is much more fuel efficient than any of the others probably due to the weight and also saves significant fuel on my tow-rig compared to the others I have had. My WOT is 46mph on my gps lightly loaded and my "high-cruise" 4200 rpm is about 33mph and I can go all day at 3600 rpm at 24mph. I was doubting others on the mileage reports but I am convinced that it is that good.

It probably isn't the best boat out there for everyone but the Best in my opinion for PWS, Seward and other places in the area if you consider all the factors in boat ownership in my opinion.

In my quest for the perfect boat for ME, I did a lot of research and of course at one point or another, I did think that each of those boats that I had were the best option for me and that is what led me to buy them. The NR is a very seaworthy boat and remains as one of the best alum boats that I think exists for big water but their cabin was a little on the small side and was a bit tippier than the Wooley at rest (steep V on transom). I do still think they really look tough though.

I also think that if you get either boat, you will not be disappointed as they are both fine builders and have outstanding reputations. Check out North River Mafias at ifish.net and they will certainly give you a lot of info on the NR boats. I am stubborn and had to find out for myself. Another thing worthy of note, NONE of the boats that I listed above after owning it for a period of time not to exceed 1 year on any one of them resulted in me losing any money at all!!! Try that with any TOY priced at over $70,000.

Mark

Default 23 SSP Wooldridge

Glad to hear you and are getting out and enjoying the boat Mark. Your boat is 5500lbs dry on the trailer so the boat should be close to 4100 with the twin 115 Yamaha's. The 27 Pilot runs just as good as the old 25 Deep Water we had, fuel consumption is really close as well, first trip out was 6.5 gph and so far it has averaged 7.25 for the pair of Yamaha's. Cruse is 4100 rpm 30-32mph depending on seas and 5200 is 40mph WOT full of gear, fuel, and 2 people. Hope to see you out on the water soon, how did your trip with SeaULater go?

Default SeaUlater checked out the boat

in my driveway and I showed him a few modifications that I made. I did not get to go out to PWS with him. I am sure it would have been fun though. My radar arch and new bow-rails (like the deep water plus) should be done at Silverstreak and I have finally finished my canvas work. They did a great job making a camper-back with no vertical posts. Looks cool too and works well. I am going out of Whittier this Saturday AM. Maybe see you there if you are around.

Mark

Thanks for all the replies. They are definitly what I am looking for to make my decision. Sport Drifter hit the nail on the head with the construction styles, that is exactly what I was looking for to compare the two. The Wooldridge dealer here in town does not have any boats on the lot to jump around on (just from site) so that reply helps plenty.
    I am seriously considering the 23' Supersport you have. It may be just out of my price range and I have to convince myself that I NEED a pilot house boat. I defintly WANT, but. I just got a SCREAMING deal on a 23' NR Seahawk and am trying to offload my other boat quick like to try and move on one of these deals.

Thanks for all the replies

Default just curious...

Quote Originally Posted by sport drifter View Post
    Glad to hear you and are getting out and enjoying the boat Mark. Your boat is 5500lbs dry on the trailer so the boat should be close to 4100 with the twin 115 Yamaha's. The 27 Pilot runs just as good as the old 25 Deep Water we had, fuel consumption is really close as well, first trip out was 6.5 gph and so far it has averaged 7.25 for the pair of Yamaha's. Cruse is 4100 rpm 30-32mph depending on seas and 5200 is 40mph WOT full of gear, fuel, and 2 people. Hope to see you out on the water soon, how did your trip with SeaULater go?
    ...about your WOT. Are you a little concerned with the low RMP's at WOT? I know that yamaha likes to see the WOT at 5800-6000 RPM's. I am not a outboard tech, but it seems to me that with a WOT of 5200 you might be a bit over propped and are lugging the engine. JMHO.

I saw the boat sitting in your guys drive way just before your maiden voyage.
    What a beauty!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default Wooldridge

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    ...about your WOT. Are you a little concerned with the low RMP's at WOT? I know that yamaha likes to see the WOT at 5800-6000 RPM's. I am not a outboard tech, but it seems to me that with a WOT of 5200 you might be a bit over propped and are lugging the engine. JMHO.

I saw the boat sitting in your guys drive way just before your maiden voyage.
    What a beauty!
    The guys at WB have been using this set up for many years with no complaints so far and they recommended this pitch for this engine combination. I know they work closely with their Yamaha rep so I would think he would know what they are using since it is a Yamaha prop on the engine.

If it was over propped the fuel mileage would no be so good if it was lugging the engine you would be using more fuel to try and turn this larger prop. The Yamaha literature says WOT 5000-6000 rpm, compared to the Hewescraft sea runners with 115's this set up beats them by 2-4 gph depending on who you talk to.

They are headed out to PWS sat am as well Mark so you might run into them.

Default Hey EPW

Sent you a pm

Default North River going to all factory stores?

I have heard for a while they were going to all factory stores and I see they have gotten rid of all the dealers on their website only the ones they own are shown. I know the dealers aren't happy since they "the factory stores" were selling around them at lower prices. I know a few guys that have went to the Portland store to get boats.

Default Wooldridge Wins in my book

As an owner of both Wooldridge ( deep water plus ) and a North River (sold it) I can tell you that the stringer system uses the engineering concept of conservation, as in ITS BAD to over build. Especially in something that is designed to float and flex. For example, a NR could split where it should have BENT.

North River is also a production line approach which as has been pointed out has its shortcomings. Wooldridge truly listens to you and I get a better sense from a boatmaker that does that. The Wooldridge CEO and the NR CEO , and their operations are worlds apart. And for that, I chose Wooldridge.

Default North River

No more dealer here in anch for North River.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast