Thread: Chuit River / Chuit River Lodge questions.

Default Chuit River / Chuit River Lodge questions.

Greetings All,

Thanks to all your help in the past, my wife and I have had two wonderful vacations in your GREAT state.

This year we flew to Big River Lake for silvers with High Adventure Air (out of Soldotna) and really enjoyed it.

I'm setting up a trip for next year and have questions about the Chuit River and the Chuit River Lodge.

1. Has anyone fished the Chuit River in the second week of June for kings?
    2. How's the fishing?
    3. How's the river?
    4. Can I spin cast there, or is fly fishing only?

Second are my questions about the Chuit River Lodge

1. Has anyone stayed there?
    2. Would you recommend them?
    3. How were the accommodations?
    4. Why are they so much cheaper than other fly-in lodges? $250 a night verses $600-$750 for others?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Here's a link to this years pictures:

http://www.ysr-racer.com/ak.html
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

Thumbs up Chuit Kings

I am not affiliated with the Chuit River Lodge, but have known Dennis for 25 years+. I have fished the Chuit even longer. That being said, here is my 2 cents worth.

1) The timing of the kings entering the river varies every year. Most years there are a good number of kings in the river by the 15th of June. Some years the last week of June is the best. This year was kinda slow during the second week.

2) The quality of fishing depends on the amount of fish in the river, the turbidity of the water and the pressure the river is getting from fishermen.

3) Most years the Chuit water level is down by the middle of June. Very rainy years and even above normal temps can bring the river level up and dirty the water. This river needs a good flow of water to allow the kings to get in the upper river, as there are a number of riffles that must be crossed.

4) You will do well either spin or fly fishing. A #5 vibrax or (what I call) a Beluga Special works well. Flash flies in hot pink or chartreuse will get you fish.

If I was booking a trip, I would try for the 3rd or 4th week of June. CRL is a lot less expensive than other lodges on the west side. The lodge has been there for over 30 years. The other lodges are newer than 10-15 years old and are thus "nicer". The other lodges (I think) include the airfare in the price, CRL lets you pick your own flight service. I do not use these or other lodge services, but have been fishing and asking questions along the river for a long time. Dennis does not spend much on advertising nor going to trade shows.
    If you want to be pampered, go with one of the other more expensive outfits. Dennis' outfit will give you a clean cabin, good food and access to the same fishing. You might not get a ride right to the fish, as the lower lodges have better road access (and more competition). I usually do some walking anyway in search of large fish. Drop me a PM before you go and if the fish are not in the upper Chuit, I will give you some options to check out other good fishing in that area. SHHH... let's not tell anyone else.

This is only my opinion. I have never stayed at a fishing lodge, but do put friends up every year and while in Beluga, I throw them in with CRL.

Good luck, have fun and let us know how you do next year.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Bullbuster,

Thanks for the info. I spoke to Dennis and he said basically the same things you did.

My wife and I have been up to AK twice and really enjoyed ourselves. We're just looking for new places to go.

We not very experienced anglers, so we always get a guide. Our time is too valuable to spend the day at a dry hole. Plus guides have the equipment and knowledge to get us "near" the fish.

Do you think Dennis' place would be OK for a couple of novices?

Thanks again for your help.
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA

PM me if you do go and I will help make sure you find some fish. It is a great river for novices. I have shown many friends and relatives their first fish on that river. Again, I would book a bit later than you are planning.

Quote Originally Posted by bullbuster View Post
    PM me if you do go and I will help make sure you find some fish. It is a great river for novices. I have shown many friends and relatives their first fish on that river. Again, I would book a bit later than you are planning.
    BB,

Now we're talking about the 3rd week in June so we can fish the Little Su too.

How's the Chuit for silvers the second week in August? I'll let you know before we head up there.

Thanks for all your help.
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA