Thread: Wood River

Default Wood River

I posted this in Hunting also.

Hello all,

I am looking for some info on the Wood River, the one south west of Fairbanks off the Tanana. I am interested in hunting moose from my jet boat. I have heard mixed reviews on the doability of it. One of my neighbors used to run it years ago and says "it is easy". Some folks say it is airboat country. Is it comparable to the Little Su? Any and all info is greatly appreciated.

Jeff

The wood river can get interesting when the water is low but that doesnt appear to be an issue this year. There are quite a few gravel bars in the middle of the river but if you can read a river it is not a problem. I guess the wood river is like the Salcha river filled with silt.

I ran it last year during hunting season with an 18 ft. lowe and it was sketchy at best. I did see a couple larger jetboats on gravel bars. I also ended up on one too. The airboats didnt have any issues though.

Dangerous, don't go. No moose either.

What boat do you plan on running up there?

There are a few tricky parts, like the mouth, where it's just wide and flat and hard to tell where the channel is. Other than that it's cake. Lots of people run it. Mostly you see OB jets, a few airboats.

Never been on the Little Su.

Default For the adventure

Thanks for all your replies. Any and all info is greatly appreciated. My boat is a little long but runs shallow and is light. 24' Atec Hydrolite w/140 ob jet.

Jeff

Be sure to take recovery gear to get your boat back in deeper water. Generally if a guy runs the Wood for a few years it will get you. The lower part is flowing silt so the channel changes every year.

Wood river......They should call it "Wood Creek" at best.

I have been there ONCE and that was enough. Them airboat guys can have the Wood River.

Cool Big Woody...

It's nothing like the Little Su...well, okay maybe a little bit like upstream of Burma, although it's mostly silt until you get a ways up. When you enter the mouth, keep LEFT...and let me know when you are going so I can set up my video camera so I can capture the yard sale.

I've been up to about here in the Wood River with my 18hp Go-Devil and 18x48 jon boat:

64 20'30"N, 148 27'30" roughly. It got quite narrow and shallow.

I've also been up there with a prop. If you can get through the first half mile, you can go along ways
    "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it."
    Henry Ford