Thread: best place to buy a sat phone

Default best place to buy a sat phone

Anyone out there know a good source for buying a new motorola iridium sat phone? Thanks

Mel

Used...off of ebay.

surveyers exchange/ hands down

Thumbs up

Great info thank you for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by moose-head View Post
    Great info thank you for sharing
    Unless you know exactly what you want, I would stay away from ebay. While you can find deals, generally they are out-of-production items.
    I second Surveyors Exchange. Also, GlobalStar does not work in this state. Only get Iridium phones.....

Default ebay is fine....

You will do just fine on ebay if you do your homework. Ebay has been the best deal I could find. When you find the deal you want on ebay, email the seller and ask for the serial number. Then, call Iridium with the ser# and ask if there is any restrictions placed on the phone. You can get the exact details of the phone from Iridium like make, model, etc. Happy bidding. I would only buy the 9505A Iridium model phone myself. They are the newest model I am aware of and easy to use. Get the extra battery unless you have a charger system.

Default really?

Quote Originally Posted by akseakayaker View Post
    Also, GlobalStar does not work in this state. Only get Iridium phones.....
    I've been using my Globalstar phone here for several years, and have only had a couple times it wasn't getting a reliable signal.

The only place I know of in Fairbanks to get one is Fairbanks Radio off of College Rd.
    Lurker.

Quote Originally Posted by akseakayaker View Post
    Unless you know exactly what you want, I would stay away from ebay. While you can find deals, generally they are out-of-production items.
    I second Surveyors Exchange. Also, GlobalStar does not work in this state. Only get Iridium phones.....
    Would you mind if I asked you were abouts you were using it? (Your GlobalStar phone). My husband is curious?
    Lurker.

COtoAK -

Certainly;

Afognak Island, Steese Highway
    (up to mile 110), Rex Trail (but amazingly had good cell phone reception out at around mile 60), PWS, Kenai Fjords, Eureka and Denali Hwy. In all of these locations (except Kenai Fjords), My hunting partner had a GlobalStar, and I an Iridium....we compared signals - hands down, the Iridium got signals in all locations and was able to dial when the globalstar could/did not. Simply put, globalstar has the majority of their satellites placed around the equator, and are far too low on the horizon to adequately send a signal to a land this far north. All this I learned from Surveyor's Exchange......and the internet.....and trial and error. Hope that helps!

Gloabal Star sucks, satalites are few and far inbetween, can never get signal I sold mine to a bud in lower 48 and bought a Irriduim 3 weeks ago. Works great.

I used a buddy's Globalstar setup last season and had pretty good results. There was a 10-15 minute period in each hour where I had no coverage. Supposedly Globalstar built a new gateway somewhere around Wasilla, but I don't know what the effect on Alaska service is.
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

Globalstar works best in the southern portions of Alaska. Iridium works statewide.

I got mine from Terri out at Alaska Satellite Communications. She is located out by the airport in Anchorage.

aksatcom@alaska.net
    EricL

Default Surveyors Exchange

I agree with above they treat ya great they are local and the service has worked all over the world!