Thread: Something a little different

Default Something a little different

I know, I know. Most everyone here is a Salmon Fishing freak, and I mean that in a good way ,but I just wanted to tell you about the fun two days of fishing I just experienced. I went up to the Denali Highway and chased grayling and I had a great, great time.

First of all, kudos to Susie and Alan at Maclaren River Lodge. Nice people and they have a well run lodge. Alan offers a dropoff trip upriver to fish a feeder creek but this time I just decided to fish the roadside creeks.

I'll say this to all of you that are fed up with the crowds. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY else was fishing any of the creeks on the entire Denali highway. This is not the first time I've gone up there to fish and each time I've been there, I've been the only person fishing.

One downer was that the Tier 2 hunting season has started so most of the pulloffs had campers in them but I still had no problem parking and walking off to fish. I saw the occasional hunter on his ATV but for the most part I didn't see anyone.

I caught about 20 fish on 4 different creeks and generally enjoyed myself up there. All of the creeks get fished but usually only near the road. Walk up or downstream a ways and you will get into some nice fish.

None of the Grayling were monsters but it was one of the most enjoyable fishing trips I've had and for those of you who are wondering, it took me 5 hours to get there from Eagle River.

Default Where to go

Can you share some general areas or streams that would be good? I will be there 8/29 - 9/5. I have never fished for Grayling. Trout fishing has been my passion but I have little experience with Grayling. I really want to explore and hunt the fish, not just drop a line and catch. I will have both a light spinning rod set up and fly fish set up.
    We will also be hitting some Silvers from Valdez all the way down to Homer and as much as we can in between.

Thanks in advance.....

Some of the best streams to try are Seattle Creek, Brushkana Creek, Clearwater Creek and Rock Creek. The end of August will be a little late for that area as the fish have already started leaving the streams and are heading to the lakes for the winter. With that in mind, you should check with www.tangleriverinn.com/index.htm and see what they have to say about fishing the lakes there at that time of the year.

Practically every stream on the Denali Highway holds Grayling. There were a couple that were just too narrow and choked with willow for me to mess with though. I was using a 4 wt. fly rod and a bead head nymph and it worked like a charm.

Good Luck